Keyboard commands controlling multiple programs?

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
Had no clue where to post this, but I just had an awesome idea.

Is there any way to have my spacebar control the stop/start in both my DAW as well as iTunes? It'd be great for editing - I could listen to music while editing drums, hit the space bar to double-check the edits as I go, and not have to switch applications or use more than one key to turn it on/off.

Or maybe I'm crazy... all this drum editing is getting to me. :lol:

Well alot of keyboards have a play-button...
I'm able to control Winamp/Spotify with both my Logitech G15 and my Macbook Pro keyboard (while I'm doing whatever in Cubase).

Had no clue where to post this, but I just had an awesome idea.

Is there any way to have my spacebar control the stop/start in both my DAW as well as iTunes? It'd be great for editing - I could listen to music while editing drums, hit the space bar to double-check the edits as I go, and not have to switch applications or use more than one key to turn it on/off.

Or maybe I'm crazy... all this drum editing is getting to me. :lol:

If you are on OS X, you could probably make an AppleScript and trigger it via Quicksilver to do this. Not sure if that would be a good solution though.

Well alot of keyboards have a play-button...
I'm able to control Winamp/Spotify with both my Logitech G15 and my Macbook Pro keyboard (while I'm doing whatever in Cubase).

Yeah, but thats two buttons far enough apart that I need two hands to hit - not convenient like just hitting the space bar.

I do editing like this sometimes.....but I just use the Command+Tab to change applications.

Not handy at all compared to just hitting the space bar for both things, though - this requires me to edit, command-tab, hit the space bar, hit command-tab, hit space bar again.

I was thinking Quicksilver or QuicKeys could do it, but I'm not sure if it'd become a universal command and I'd have shit going haywire when typing or if it could be confined to just those apps/turned on/off with a ctrl+alt+cmd+space type thing.