Kick drum questions

Jan 10, 2005
Ok, usually I have no problem getting a nice fat and clicky kick on the metal projects that I do. But this band that is coming in brought me a few cd's so they can give me an idea of a few things that they want to sound like. For instance, the guitarists use ESP EC-1000's and the same amp rigs as The Haunted, and they love the tone on One Kill Wonder. So they want the guitars to sound like that. Not really a problem. The bassist likes the bass sound from some band I forget the name of, and he has the same exact equipment, not a problem either. But the drummer brought like...4 cd's. He wants toms and snare like Stabwound, and the kick drum to sound like Lars Ulrich's on Metallica's song called "King Nothing". So I listened repeatedly to this song, zeroing in on the kick drum's sound.

To me, it sounds like the drum head on the beater side is pretty loose. I think this because it's not a tight click, it's kind of a spongey sound. And the kick has a lot more low end than the other kicks on the other cd's they all gave me. So I'm assuming that it's just a loose head on the beater side to give it a softer click? Anyone know? I've never had a band come in with a kick drum like that, so I don't know how to get it like that. Now when I saw this band live, his kick didn't sound anything like that, and I'm willing to bet that it was a very tight head. So thats why I'm asking, so that I can tell him to loosen his head or do whatever it is to get that sound.

~006

Well, like the kick drum sound that Stabwound has, it's quite similar, and there's plenty of double-bass there..it's death metal.

~006

Or I'm sorry, I meant Eternal Suffering's kick drum sound on the album "Drowning in Tragedy". Not Stabwound.

~006

Try to mix it with the "Sneapkick" sample. Highly recommended!!
With some eqing and tuning in apTrigga or Drumagog you will get amazing results.
But before that, mount a Ddrum trigger to the kick and record the signal to a separate track. It's more precise to trigger samples with this signal instead of a mic signal.