• Evans EMAD

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Trevoire520

Mar 24, 2007
Fife, Scotland
So, I'm grabbing some new heads for my drum kit this weekend. I'm set on G2's over G1's for the toms, but still not too sure on kick heads. So I thought it'd be cool to get a poll going and see what people are using. These 3 seem to be the most popular on the forum from what I've gathered.

I've used the Power Stroke 3 before and had good results with it, it also seems to have alot of supporters on here.
The Super Kick 2 seems to have a few die hard fans here too, though I've not used one myself.
EMAD seems to be Evans' rock/metal type head, and I remember Lasse saying he really liked the Onyx EMAD. Again I've not used it.

So what do you use and why do you like it? Throw in your suggestions for other heads too, and if you've got experience with several kick heads then let us know the differences!
Going "omgz the XXXXXX is the best kick ever!" doesn't help much. But saying "I like XXXXXX because it's more thuddy/clicky/controlled etc" would be very helpful!

Dont get Emads...they suck, they have this plastic mid range..it just weird. For live usage, it is OK, but for recording it sucks too much. I replaced my new Emad with the old Evans head (dont ask me for the model, tho...) and BAM, the kick sounded fine again.

every Emad i have used is great, and Gmads are even better. Sound amazing on a good kit!
they've got a great bottom end, great mid range (sometimes too much but you can eq it). they sound fucking amazing live. every sound tech has jizzed his pants over our drummers gmad. he's using a pearl masters premium 22x20 kick (i think).

also recommend evan ec2's on rack toms, and ec1's on floor toms.

PS3 can get you an even metal tone with enough body and click so you can deal with it in the mix anyway you like.

i've been using pin stripe lately with very low tuning with great results for black/thrash/death tones.
and also to mention that i've been using room mic to help shape kick's low end.

try with reso head. i was never happy without one. make an 8-10 inch hole off center. should get some good results
also birch wood gives some good attack by itself compared to maple. and 18" of depth should provide enough body.

It's a 22x18 Mapex M Birch. Normally when recording I'm not using a resonant head, but I'm thinking about using a reso head with a hole in it and seeing how it sounds. Any suggestions?

My vote would be the Aquarian because of the collar design (seems to be easier to tune, stays in tune longer), but if you use a resonant head make sure not to use one with a lot of dampening, and don't stuff the inside of the drum too much because the SKII is pretty muffled as it is.