kick mic preference?

Interestingly enough, on Shure's site they have a frequency chart for the Beta91, which shows what you were saying in previous post about the "smack" that the mic gives you right off the bat.

site_img_us_rc_beta91_large.gif

Huge hump in the high-end, surely that'll give you a nice starting point of a click to shape into what you really need. Suddenly I find myself curious to try this out. However, I wonder if I'll really like it since I prefer to mic up the portion of the head where the beaters contact to get my attack for clarity and definition. Usually what I'll do is mic that with the Beta52 and also use a SubKick to get all the thump, and blend the two together to get clarity and the click, coupled with the woof from the SubKick = beefy bass drum. But if I understand you correctly, the Beta91 does this all in one mic...very interesting.

I think a "shootout" is in order for this :D LSD, do you have any other kick mics such as the traditional Beta52 or D112 or anything? I would love to hear the same kick mic'ed with both to see what the difference is.

~e.a

I've worked alot with the beta91 and the D112. I've ha some great results combining those two, but if I had to choose one, the beta91 steals the price. It's the best mic I've tried for kickdrums, but I'd really like to test a D6 though.

jepp, got some files, but only without reso-head and very different mic-positions....so not really a help.

like to shove a "rounder" mic like d6 up to the beater, then turning slightly towards one side to get a good ballance between beater and overtones. then put the boundary in approx the middle of the kick. blend to taste---voila.

the recording i've got here atm (d112, beta91) was the other way round, that really sux!!

SHOOTOUT! :lol:

Mic'ing a kick with just one mic each clip, and then blending them together also as a seperate clip. Like I said I'd like see what the 91 really sounds like on it's own. I'm guessing it's not enough on a kick by itself, and would need another mic blended with it to get the attack of the beaters.

~e.a

elephant-audio said:
SHOOTOUT! :lol:

Mic'ing a kick with just one mic each clip, and then blending them together also as a seperate clip. Like I said I'd like see what the 91 really sounds like on it's own. I'm guessing it's not enough on a kick by itself, and would need another mic blended with it to get the attack of the beaters.

~e.a

The Beta 91 is the same type of mic as a Senn E901 which i use. They are actually half cardioid "boundry" condenser mics. They work very well, and definately dont lack low end. In the manual of the E901 it shows the low frequency response of the mic get higher as teh mic gets closer, so putting it within 6 inches of the beater skin gives quite a bit of "in the pants" movement :p

thanks everyone for your replies, i'll be sure to try it out next time i'm in the studio!

LSD-Studio said:
PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!PZM is the way to go!!!!

(sorry for spamming, was my first time on this board......emmm kind off ;))

is that the pzm-30D ore pzm-6D????

bazzi said:
is that the pzm-30D ore pzm-6D????

don't mean the brand...PZM does just mean "pressure zone microfone" so it's just meaning "boundary mic".

actually io've never testet neither pzm-30D nor pzm-6D.

i like the shure and sennheiser.
(love the shure!!)

im liking the D6 over the 91. The SM91 is better than the beta 91 in my opinion. I always found the attack a little too plastic sounding on the 91's. Cool to mix tho and great for live stuff.

I've been using the D6 for a while now, love it.
Andy, do you find you don't have to eq the d6 as much?
The more used to it I get I find I can get it 90% there with mic placement. I always had to carve the shit out of the D112.
The beta 91 seems TOO real, you know what I mean? It leaves nothing out of the signal where the D6 seems to accentuate what you want and leaves out what you don't.

LSD-Studio said:
don't mean the brand...PZM does just mean "pressure zone microfone" so it's just meaning "boundary mic".

actually io've never testet neither pzm-30D nor pzm-6D.

i like the shure and sennheiser.
(love the shure!!)

ahaaa ok. I get it:Smokin:

I like using 2 mics near the beater head for double bass, then a nicer condenser mic like a blue or something even better about 2-3 feet back from the kick (I take the front off and lay a blanket over a stool or chair to get a more separated kick sound and let the bass wave travel). You could also get a great sound with less, just find a solid mic you like (d112, d6, re-20, etc) and experiment with it. If you have less mics try duplicating the kick track and processing each differently (one bright, one duller, maybe even one over-compressed) then you can automate for creating the best sound for every type of dynamic in the song.

Andy Sneap said:
im liking the D6 over the 91. The SM91 is better than the beta 91 in my opinion. I always found the attack a little too plastic sounding on the 91's. Cool to mix tho and great for live stuff.

Ive been using the beta 91 live for years. Its the main mic that I will always carry with me rather than be stuck with a d112 or something. I used to find that if I double miced a kick drum live the other mic would usually get turned off in favour of the 91. Ive bought a D6 recently and now use both of them live and for recording.

Wortha mention that the 91, beta 91 and the 90 are not actually PZMs