Kick Mic Shootout! 11 mic's, 3 positions

Trevoire520

Mar 24, 2007
Fife, Scotland
Hey guys, threw this together and thought you'd be interested in checking it out:

AKG D112,
Audix Microphones D6 & D4,
Shure SM7B, PG52 and Beta 91A,
Sennheiser E602-II and E606,
Audio-Technica ATM250DE,
and a Studiospares SN10 woofer as a subkick

Outside, inside and reso positions.

Let me know what you guys dig. Personally I really like the B91A inside, E602/ATM250DE Condenser Outside and the Subkick on the reso.

Sounds like the atm250de dynamic capsule was clipping in an odd way and the D6 too toward the end. Other than that cool shootout.

Sounds like the atm250de dynamic capsule was clipping in an odd way and the D6 too toward the end. Other than that cool shootout.
Yeah the it's an odd one. Someone told me that it's a pressure wave caused by the head movement over-exerting the diaphragm, and that it can be reduced or possibly eliminated by angling the mic so that it's not straight on axis to the head.

The drummer in my band recently purchased a second hand audix d6, very big upgrade, it really worth

Cool shootout.

I have a buddy that runs a fairly busy studio who has gone through two D6's in the last year. Doesn't seem very reliable long term.

I want to try that new AKG D12 model they came out with. It got a really good review in Tape Op

I have a buddy that runs a fairly busy studio who has gone through two D6's in the last year. Doesn't seem very reliable long term.

Bought mine around 2007 I think. Never had a problem (nor with any of my Audix mics) so it surprising to hear that. Maybe just bad luck?

Yeah maybe. Glad to hear that hasn't been your experience though.

Due to the popularity of that mic on this forum I sort of wondered if it was a unique situation.

Last edited:
Giving this a bump for those who haven't seen it. Surprised there's not more comments on this, am I the only one mic'ing kick drums anymore? lol

Damn I need to visit this forum more often. It's all facebook these days. Thanks for doing this!
And after hearing the mic's I'm kinda happy I have the Audix D6 :)
The B91A with the mid scoop was also nice

I have heard a few folk having problems with the D series stuff breaking, particularly D4's being used for kicks.

Have some more shootouts to post at some point, the eq curve of the D6 actually works really well on toms, though it's got a weird transient response and can sound a bit like a basketball.

Reactions: Manicompression
Killer, thanks for doing this! I had a similar issue mic'ing a resonant head without a port using a D6. I thought maybe the head was slapping the mic and I didn't notice.