Killswitch Engage + Dio = New holy Diver cover!

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
I just came across this video for Killswitch Engage covering Holy Diver, and it's good! The video is tongue in cheek funny as well - but done well.

Check it out:

Last edited:
At 3:20 I couldn't get more. Horrible cover and silly video.

If were Dio I'll sue them.

At 3:20 I couldn't get more. Horrible cover and silly video.

If were Dio I'll sue them.

I'm a Killswitch fan, I didn't like this cover myself. The video I think IS supposed to be silly, as most Dio videos tend to be. As for Dio suing? I think he sees it as what it is a tribute to him and he's porbably honored. Plus he gets paid for them recording the song and the song is out there getting played and it could result in a surge in sales of the back catalog... Make money how and when you can...

I think he sees it as what it is a tribute to him

With that kind of tribute I prefer enemies :heh: But like you said is all business in the end...

NP: Force Of Evil - 'Hell On Earth'

Don't think Dio would take much offense from stuff like this, he has a sharp sense of humour. After all, he even appeared on the Tenacious D movie after they wrote a song about him:
Dio has rocked for a long, long time,
Now it's time for him to pass the torch.
He has songs of wilderbeasts and angels,
He has soared on the wings of a demon.

It's time to pass the torch,
You're too old to rock, no more rockin' for you.
We're takin' you to a home,
But we will sing a song about you.

And we will make sure that you're very well taken care of.
You'll tell us secrets that you've learned. Woah!
Your sauce will mix with ours,
And we'll make a good goulash baby.
Dio, time to go!
You must give your cape and scepter to me.
And a smaller one for KG.
Go! Go! Dio! Dio!

Some seriously egomaniac washed-up rockers like say, Don Dokken, would take this stuff 100% seriously and moan about it on Blabbermouth for weeks but not Dio... he has nothing to prove. Everyone knows he rules.:cool:

I agree it's not the best of covers, but it's money in RJD's pocket...:saint:

Yeah speaking of that. Everytime a band or label comes out with a tribute you have to pay to the composer a fee, isn't it?

Because suddenly I recall all this terrible tributes I have from Dwell Records. Most of them obscure death/black bands destroying songs with gusto :ill: , but the original composer will get a piece of the action i'sn't so? Same with the tributes by Nuclear Blast (only the bands are better known, not that the covers are better tho'). So now I feel less guilty when I listen to 'Temple Of Syrinx' by Blood Coven or 'Wratchild' by SFU :lol:

NP: Aska - 'The Question'

Wyvern - I think he lost that case, but it may be on appeals.

I'm sure KSE paid a fee to cover the tune, and while I hate KSE, I do dig this vid.

Don't think Dio would take much offense from stuff like this, he has a sharp sense of humour. After all, he even appeared on the Tenacious D movie after they wrote a song about him:

Some seriously egomaniac washed-up rockers like say, Don Dokken, would take this stuff 100% seriously and moan about it on Blabbermouth for weeks but not Dio... he has nothing to prove. Everyone knows he rules.:cool:

Yes, Dio does rule.:worship:

The thing I love about this cover is that KSE managed to take what could very possibly be the most dated, 80's, cheesetastic song ever and really make it sound as if it was written and recorded today.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Dio. I own every Dio/Rainbow/Elf/SabbathDio album. But Dio takes himself with a grain of salt, as KSE does with this video.

I think this sense of humor is what metal is missing nowadays. Thanks to the 90's and beyond (I'm looking your way black/death metal), every band with a distorted guitar seems to think that their music and lyrics are the freakin' Constitution. Stop pretending you have a "connection to the dark side" and look at yourselves in the mirror every once and awhile. Now laugh. Good. Good job, Opeth.

I liked it. :headbang: If was exacty like the original what would be the point? These guys are hit and miss with me though.

Give me a break, this is an old school forum and you are talking about a shitty emo nu metal band such as Killswitch Engage? Get your fucking head straight.

It will be a week or so before I can see the video. I am impatiantly awaiting Wildblue to get some satellite dishes and modems in so I can get high speed internet out here in the country. I don't think KSE is all that bad though for what they are. A late buddy of mine burned me a disc of theirs several years back and although I would never buy one from then, it was better than I expected it to be.

Bryant