Killswitch Engage does Holy Diver, old and new collide

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
I just came across this video for Killswitch Engage covering Holy Diver, and it's good! The video is tongue in cheek funny as well - but done well.

Check it out:

Last edited:
:puke:
It could be that I'm not a really big KSE fan (Actually, what the hell am I saying? I'm not a fan of there's at all.) but this video/cover just didn't do anything for me. I'll give it too KSE that, as a cover, they did "make it their own." I thought I'd give thsi a chance because of how much I love Dio, but I guess I just can't deal with band that I think of as mediocre-at-best covering one of my all-time favorite performers. There are very few singers out there who I think can pull of vocals like Dio (or that would compliment a song he wrote as good as his) and the singer for KSE just does not seem capapble of that to me.

Not all covers have to be the exact same as the original and just the fact that a newer band would cover such a great heavy metal classic is a compliment in itself. Thats why its a cover tune, you can either do it the way it was written or make it your own and thats exactly what KSE has done, though they didn't drastically change it like Nevermore did with their cover of Simon and Garfunkel's Sound of Silence. I think its cool that KSE did this cover and I give them a bit more respect just for that. I enjoy everything I've heard of theirs, granted I don't own a single disc, but I think they do an outstanding job and putting their own special touches to Holy Diver as well as not ruining a great song.

Just my $.02

Speaking of KSE... has anyone seen their dvd? I was there for the taping, but we were at the absolute last row of the venue.. and it sounded like trash. I hoped the end product was better.

Had low expectations for it when I first heard about it. Then, I listened to it, and it failed to meet those expectations.

terrible, terrible cover imo.

For a new band doing a classic metal master piece I think it was very good! I was just talking to my drummer tonight and we are going to cover bounty hunter by Molly Hatchet. With us bieng power metal i am sure that some southern rocker will be putting us on the cross because we metallized it. O well we like the song and because of us people will get to hear a 30 year old song wich to me is a great tribute to a great band.

I love it! KSE did make it their own and had fun with it as well. I love all the pinching the lead guitarist does too! :headbang:

*Note* If I'm not mistaken, this cover version was played over the PA during last year's festival setup times. Am I right?

~Brian~

Not all covers have to be the exact same as the original and just the fact that a newer band would cover such a great heavy metal classic is a compliment in itself. Thats why its a cover tune, you can either do it the way it was written or make it your own and thats exactly what KSE has done, though they didn't drastically change it like Nevermore did with their cover of Simon and Garfunkel's Sound of Silence. I think its cool that KSE did this cover and I give them a bit more respect just for that. I enjoy everything I've heard of theirs, granted I don't own a single disc, but I think they do an outstanding job and putting their own special touches to Holy Diver as well as not ruining a great song.

Just my $.02

I think in this case it's not a compliment but a blasphemy! I just don't hear what you are hearing in this song, I find it abominable. KSE doing Dio is like a poodle trying to be a Rottweiler.

I think in this case it's not a compliment but a blasphemy! I just don't hear what you are hearing in this song, I find it abominable. KSE doing Dio is like a poodle trying to be a Rottweiler.

That was kindda my take on it. It wasn't really that I thought KSE did an overall horrible job of playing the song (which seems to be your opinion). It was that in comparison to the original, this version just didn't even come close to cutting it. And, yes, I understand that a cover is supposed to be at least somewhat different from the original version of the song. There are plenty of covers out there that are vastly different from the original version that I have loved ... this just wasn't one of them.

That was kindda my take on it. It wasn't really that I thought KSE did an overall horrible job of playing the song (which seems to be your opinion). It was that in comparison to the original, this version just didn't even come close to cutting it. And, yes, I understand that a cover is supposed to be at least somewhat different from the original version of the song. There are plenty of covers out there that are vastly different from the original version that I have loved ... this just wasn't one of them.

I liked it because the lead singer wasn't trying to do a bad RJD imitation, but he just sounded like himself. KSE does a good job bringing a classic to some kids that might not have clue who Dio is.

~Brian~

Lighten up, it's a cover. Apparetly, it was a fun song and video for the band to do, so just take it at that. Hell, I'd be tickled pink if a mainstream band would cover "Hall of the Mountain King" just to give some clueless kids a taste of Savatage.

~Brian~