King Crimson - The Power To Believe (10 years later)

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
KCpowertobelieve.jpg

Some groups just will not disappear. How many more times do we need to see The Rolling Stones, in all their geriatric glory, rehashing the same riffs over and over again. Ozzy Osbourne has retired at least four dozen times, and his glory days are long over. Here we have King Crimson, whose remarkable first album In the Court of the Crimson King debuted in 1969. Virtuoso guitarist Robert Fripp is the only original member, but he still drags the name around after calling an end to the band on several occasions throughout the last three decades. They still make albums, they still tour, they're pushing 60, and what's this? They're better than ever.

After the brief Haiku opening (which also serves as the closing moment), this album kicks off with one of the heaviest songs KC has ever done, Level Five. Odd time signatures, polyrhythms, and pummeling riffs abound: not quite what one would expect from the kings of progressive music. Eyes Wide Open is next, and showcases Adrian Belew's obscure yet soulful vocals, accompanied by the type of ballad KC has been known to engage upon for several years now, a stark contrast to the previous track. This album bounces between heavy and serene, but there are no shocking departures from their most recent work. What sets The Power To Believe apart in their vast catalogue is that everything sounds completely fresh. Personal favorite Elektrik is not wholly separate from ideas kicked around on KC's last few albums, but the execution has not only been perfected, it has exceeded any expectations fans may have for the band and also for the entire realm of heavy music. This album is not only the culmination of what KC has been doing over the past 20 years, but represents the future sound of metal, something that will take even the best contemporaries in the genre at least 5 years to catch up to.

I had the good fortune to see King Crimson live a few months ago (with my parents, who were my age when In The Court was released), and it was an incredible experience to say the least. The sheer energy produced by the current line-up is staggering. Adrian Belew has the energy of an 18 year old, and his vocal stamina is amazing. Pat Mastelotto, as my girlfriend said after the show: "He didn't play the drums, he WAS the drums." Trey Gunn is the most talented low-end wielder in the game today (he plays Warr touch guitars, which serve the purpose of a bass, but aren't quite the same), even playing two separate instruments simultaneously at one point. Robert Fripp, well, there is nothing you can put into words about what this man accomplishes live. If you think he does some incredible virtuoso work on wax, you need to see the serene appearance he achieves while his fingers literally blur on stage. Astounding performances all around, King Crimson puts to shame any live act half or even a third their age.

Distinctly heavy, trance inducing, mind boggling, ever soothing, and flat out intense, this album is a milestone. I welcome any and all influence this album will most certainly have on metal bands around the globe. Be prepared.

10/10
I wrote this review almost a decade ago for Royal Carnage, and seriously dudes, it is still one of the greatest heavy music albums ever released. Everyone should own it.

-10 points for using the word "serene" twice in one review, and honestly my writing is shite for this one, BUT the album still rocks complete nuts. Metal should've listened.

Heavy. Fucking. AWESOME. :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no "kind of" to be found here. It is only COMPLETE(ly awesome)! :eek:

I listened to it several times this week. Still so fucking good, god dammit. :worship:

Not that I think it's really up most RCers alleys, but it should be. For the rawk. :headbang:

And now a fourth sentence complete with the final emoticon of this post. :Smokedev: