NEW REVIEWS: Arch Enemy, Entombed, King Crimson, & more!!

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Another week passes by, and another batch of reviews for your reading pleasure:

ARCH ENEMY - Anthems of Rebellion
AT VANCE - The Evil in You
DEW SCENTED - Impact
ENTOMBED - Inferno
HYPOCRISY - Hypocrisy
KING CRIMSON - The Power to Believe [Staff Pick of the Week]

:Spin:

Contractual difficulties have delayed the release of Inferno until 2004 in the U.S., however, the album has just been released in Europe, and if you're able to get your hands on a copy, I strongly suggest that you do so.
The End has it, and I saw it in a music store in San Luis Obispo a month or so ago, that's how I found out about it. However, The End sells imports and I didn't check the version in SLO.

NAD said:
However, The End sells imports and I didn't check the version in SLO.

I know that The End offer trades with other distributors in Europe to get cheap imports in. I have no idea how the store in SLO would have got hold of a copy wholesale.

Hmmmm....having said all that, CDuniverse are selling it at regular price (available for immediate shipping): http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=MUSIC&pid=5886948&cart=153746508

Weird. I don't think Dark One got his facts wrong because I heard the same news.

We should investigate - to the batmobile!

Inferno was actually released in limited quantity through Music for Nations (Koch International affiliate) here in the U.S. but was later pulled from the shelves. I'm pretty sure the version The End has is the import since they aren't allowed to sell the domestic version. I'm sure that some stores still have the version that was pulled back, either because they aren't aware they aren't supposed to be selling it, or they're too lazy to mail the cd's back to the distributor.

Anyway, here's the word straight from the horses mouth (Entombed's website):

"Koch international, has already released the album in the states. But, did it without letting the band know, and without having a contract signed for the record. It is not really Koch int. fault, as MFN gave them the album in belief that it was the right thing to do.

The album has been pulled back in the states, and will be released in the beginning of next year by Threeman rec. through Century Media rec USA."

I'll tell you this though, I don't know how The End can have this brief description of Inferno on their website:

"Swedish death metal mastered Entombed return with a follow up to the stunning "Morning Star" 13 tracks of thrashing, old school death metal."

Come on, thrashing, old school death metal? No way in hell. This is a very rough and heavy style of a kind of groove metal/rock fusion. More metal than rock for sure, but there's no way you could possibly qualify it as old school death metal in any way shape or form. Like I said, the vocals are rough sounding but are definitely not growls. And there's plenty of slower riffs on the album, with some really speedy parts, but certainly not the intense blast beat structure of earlier death metal albums.

Cool, that clears things up.

The End's descriptions are usually lame, sometimes they make up words too. :lol:

npearce said:
I've seen that new Entomed all over the place around here. Maybe I should pick it up, if it's limited.
The disc itself isn't limited, it just happens to be available in very limited quantities in the U.S. currently as they're not supposed to be selling it there.

npearce said:
I've seen that new Entomed all over the place around here. Maybe I should pick it up, if it's limited.

Yeah, evidently the "official" U.S. release will be through Century Media next year so you may want to grab that while it's available. I suppose the only thing that would keep it from being a collectible would be if the European Music For Nations authorized release and the U.S. Music For Nations unauthorized release are not different in some manner (i.e. packaging, etc.).

Papa Josh said:
And in regards to Hate Eternal, I wonder who will be playing bass as Jared Anderson has left the band to go into rehab...

I doubt it will make a difference. Arch Enemy will steal the show. I wish they had Hate Eternal on before Evergrey. We've got Exit to Eternity on our billing too. Woohoo!

Anthems of Rebellion is definitely in my top ten 2003 at this moment. It's been a long time having a CD that I keep going back to over and over...and it keeps getting better. Anyone heard it yet?

Demonspell said:
Very good Crimson review, emphasizing the fact that their music is as innovative as ever and they refuse to have one foot in the past...
It's amazing how modern it sounds, I'm continually amazed by the release. I have shocked a few friends too, I put it on during weekend beering and it's the only CD to ever make several people stop talking and say "...woah..." Keanu Reeves style. :D

OK bump this if we're doing more new reviews for the weekend...

Quite surprising how many people out there are fascinated with Arch Enemy. The new review is getting lots of hits, and did you know that the interview we have with Gossow is still being heavilly read?? It was the first interview we went live with back in March.

I just figured that the drama around Gossow would have faded - if that is what entices people to read about AE. Do you think people are still into the whole 'blonde chick' / 'death growls' thing?

I mean, if it were for looks alone, I'm sure Lacuna Coil would be the biggest thing since sliced bread!