Kings of Cheese?

Well Zod....... Manowar IS the cheesiest, but I really dig their lead and backing vocals. They have some really good songs and some songs that make me cringe as well. Mostly, I can't stand to look at their album covers. They need to hire Fabio and teach him to play keyboard or something.

Bryant

Ahhh..... I forgot about Dragonforce. They trump even Manowar. I think they have created their own sub-genre of cheesiness. I have to say though, that I forgive Hermann Li. He plays the most beautiful electric guitar I have ever seen that is less than a couple of grand, and that model can be had for around $800.

Herman_Li-12462.jpg

Bryant

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that tour - Dokken opened.

As did I. I thought Dio slaying the mechanical dragon was badass, personally..... but I was a teenager.

Geez - Manowar has it by a MILE, but I agree with earlier posts that ALL Power Metal is inherently cheesy to a point.

I have to totally disagree with you as far as ALL powermetal being cheesy. Remember that many consider that there are two "styles" of powermetal, namely "American" style and European style. Most of the American style powermetal, like Metal Church and Armored Saint isn't cheesy. Brainstorm plays a more "American style" as well and they aren't cheesy for the most part.

Bryant

The real Herman model is a 24 fret S series. When it came out, it was the only 24 fret S series guitar Ibanez made, don't know if there have been others since then....I wish I was at NAMM! The one in the pic looks like a standard....

I have to totally disagree with you as far as ALL powermetal being cheesy. Remember that many consider that there are two "styles" of powermetal, namely "American" style and European style. Most of the American style powermetal, like Metal Church and Armored Saint isn't cheesy. Brainstorm plays a more "American style" as well and they aren't cheesy for the most part.

Bryant

Huh? I'm not disagreeing with US and European style being very different, but Metal Church and Armored Saint power metal? :confused:

Absolutely. I love their cheeesiness.

And to make matters worse, they never did Part I! :lol:

WAIT JUST A GARSH DURNED MINUTE THAR.

Track 6 of 'Starfire Burning Upon The Ice-Veiled Throne Of Ultima Thule'

;)

And if you'll excuse me, I have to go lose my virginity again.

Yeah I didn't want to say anything but I could've sworn that. Whatever, I'm going to forget it because the idea of them not making a part 1 is more awesome.

The real Herman model is a 24 fret S series. When it came out, it was the only 24 fret S series guitar Ibanez made, don't know if there have been others since then....I wish I was at NAMM! The one in the pic looks like a standard....

The model he is playing is simply gorgeous !! It looks like a Koa wood guitar. Peavey released a limited edition one in the late 80's. Taylor and Washburn make some acoustics out of that wood, but finding electrics in that wood are tough. The "signature" HL model IS very similar, but it is in a lighter color as far as the "natural" finish, and I doubt it is the same wood. Having said that...... the sig model is beautiful as well. The finish and wood grain isn't quite the same though.
Whether it IS koa or not, that dark stain, black hardware, and classic Ibanez Strat style shape is awesome. I would love to have the guitar he is playing in that picture.

Bryant

edit: The one he is playing appears to be only a 21 fret, unless I am miscounting.

Huh? I'm not disagreeing with US and European style being very different, but Metal Church and Armored Saint power metal? :confused:

I am real careful not to not typically throw the "age" thing up because I don't want to be called an "old man" but you are welcome to, because I call JW that sometimes.... ha ha ha. Anyway, even back in their respective prime, Metal Church and Armored Saint were often called "powermetal." Even though we had to walk up-hill both ways in the snow to the "record store" to buy cassettes, there were a few sub-genres of metal even then, though it wasn't as widely used. Those two bands probably were considered "pioneers" of the sub-genre. They weren't thrash, but they were a bit heavier than "traditional" metal. In fact, I would honestly say "American" powermetal might have even originated in Germany with Accept.

Bryant

But so was Metallica.

That's quite a stretch actually.
If anyone ever called Metallica power metal it was solely due to their demo tape of the same name.

Early Metallica's riffing is way to fast to be called power metal, even the earliest incarnations of the term.

Hell, I would say bands like OMEN were in the original batch of power metal bands.