KKOAGULAA - "Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgi" - REVIEWS

http://www.metalteamuk.net/feb10reviews/cdreviews-kkoagulaa.htm

Artist: Kkoagulaa
Title: Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgi
Type: Album
Label: Aural Music

Having been writing reviews for a number of years, at times I find myself on virtual auto pilot when summing things up and feel I could do so with eyes shut and ears only half open. This I hasten is not an album that such principles can work with and although I profess to loving a challenge and getting stuck into something different from the norm Kkoagulaa have if anything come at me as a divine trial. This is so far from the norm that it virtually beggars belief and this is summed up in the pages of information that accompanied the download. The project is designed to “stretch out beyond genre conventions” and their mission is “to work in an expanded range of media and to even step outside of conventions of what constitutes avant-garde art and music” Alchemy is mentioned as the core behind both artist and work and the way they have turned their music into gold is a fascinating journey to undertake. As far as more background is concerned you can check out the detailed information at the band links below.

On the whole the kkolective as they refer to themselves of Kkoagulaa is made up from personnel from the seemingly on hold Norwegian project Manes. This could, if you have heard them before, partly explain what you might be able to expect from the band although I hasten to add, this pushes the limits and boundaries of anything I have heard from that already bizarre and out there band. Members have also served time in the likes of Atrox, The 3rd And The Mortal as well as other lesser known entities and have brought a melting pot of ideas to this debut album by Kkoagulaa.

It is presented as one long 56 minute track and before playing you are best off making sure that you are not likely to be distracted and have time and perhaps even energy to give it your complete and undivided attention. It is also probably going to work on you even better if you really shut yourself away from the outside world with headphones as well.

So to the music itself, you are going to want to know how it sounds and what it is like as that is partly my job but this is not an easy thing to do in the slightest? From the opening clanging intro and backward masked melody you can forget about trying to put this in any category, certainly calling it any form of ‘metal’ per se is impossible just as the group intended. This is an exercise in sound, and how it is perhaps perceived. The only groups I could possibly say as having heard anything similar to are Ulver at their most experimental and this does perhaps sit alongside the likes of ‘Perdition City’ as it mixes and matches different sonic expressions to a musical canvas. There are also times I am reminded of The Orb as things bubble and boil below the surface and mess with your head. There are many different snatches that you hear on the journey, there are moments of drum and bass and jungle and dub thrown in, perhaps a snatch of freeform jazz, trance, post rock, electro and black doom. The vocals at full croon are very Bowiesque and also at times remind of Marc Almond and Pete Murphy as they expressively flow around the ever changing music.

There is plenty going on and I have listened to this album lots of times in an attempt to review it and feel like I have to abandon my normal methods of pressing play and describing what is going on as I listen, as what I actually want to do oh reader is turn YOU off for once and listen to the music without your clamour for information. In fact that is what I am going to do and feel free to call this a cop out or even better go and indulge yourself in the weird, wonderful and at times frightening world of Kkoagulaa and attempt to tell me what YOU think! For once I’m all ears.

http://www.myspace.com/kkoagulaa
http://kkoagulaa.wordpress.com

Pete Woods

ROCK TRIBUNE MAGAZINE (Belgium)

80/100
[FONT=&quot]"Kkoagulaa drag you through a weird trip in which light and darkness are in a constant duel. If you enjoy the triphopescapades of Ulver and Manes, you'll find a great challenge in ‘Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgi’ !"[/FONT]

http://www.imperiumi.net/index.php?act=albums&id=10094

rate: 8+

Kkoagulaa
Aurum Nostrum non est Aurum vulgi
CD
[ Aural Music ]
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
plus.gif

( 8+ )

01. Aurum Nostrum non est Aurum vulgi

Kesto: 53:53 Kkoagulaan takaa löytyvät pääosin samat ihmiset kuin vuonna 1993 perustetun ja black metalilla aloittaneen mutta 2000-luvulla voimakkaasti kokeilevampaan suuntaan siirtyneen Manesin takaa. Jos Manesin kolmen vuoden takaisella How The World Came to an End -albumilla kuultiin mm. ranskankielistä rappia ja elektronissävytteisiä biisejä, sukeltaa Kkoagulaan ensialbumi Aurum Nostrum non est Aurum vulgi syvemmälle samoihin vesiin ollen kenties kuitenkin "edeltäjäänsä" koherentimpi ja kestävämpi kokonaisuus.

Levyllä on siis vain yksi lähes 54-minuuttinen kappale, jonka sisältä löytyy vaihtelua minimalistisesta ambientista räjähtäviin konemusiikkirytmeihin ja jopa Shiningin Niklas Kvarforthin narinoihin. Taitaapa sama mies pudotella ruotsiksi myös hieman puhelaulun pätkää. Vaikka Kkoagulaa venyttääkin musiikkiaan vielä härskimmin ulos pop/rock-musiikin karsinasta, lopputulosta on pakko verrata Norjan kahden muun metamorfoosioutolaisen, Ulverin ja In the Woods...:in myöhäistuotantoon. Mielleyhtymiä syntyy myös Scott Walkerin kokeellisemman tuotannon, Devil Dollin ja Aphex Twinin suuntaan.

Kokonaisuus on siis hämmentävä ja haastava muttei suinkaan linjaton tai väkinäinen. Aurum Nostrum non est Aurum vulgi on ainutlaatuinen tapaus ainakin tällaiselle The Prodigyn tuolle puolen konemusiikin suhteen sokealle kuuntelijalle. Sillä ainoalla merkityksellisellä musiikkiluokituksella - "on olemassa vain kahdenlaista musiikkia: hyvää ja huonoa" - Kkoagulaa kuuluu ehdottomasti siihen ensimmäiseen kategoriaan. Sen levy saattaa hyvinkin osoittautua silmiä ja korvia avaavaksi kokemukseksi.

01.03.2010, Antti Korpinen

http://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/detail.php3?id=6100

83/100

I can safely say that this is the first album I’ve ever obtained that comes with its own nine page manifesto. This is apparently the new incarnation of Manes, calling itself kkoagulaa, and whilst a musical project surrounding itself in high-minded words about its “purpose” should alarm anyone remotely self-aware, they make some valid points. The gist of this document is the expression of the band’s frustration at delineated genre lines, legitimated by the stifling presence of the “rock canon” which dictates certain ways of playing music and “crushes the possibility of revelation, and certainly any pretence of revolution”. I mean, we don’t need to hear another recycled collection of old 80s thrash riffs being presented to us as some kind of weakling-slaying “true spirit of metal”, to think that they have a point there, right?

So much for the talk. It would clearly be completely meaningless if Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgi couldn’t deliver into assembled ears something truly without limits. The 55 minutes here are not divided into tracks; this is one long procession of ideas, merging into eachother like the work of a dj. In fact, you can imagine this as the accompaniment to some kind of light and dance show; different moods and different tonal colourings flowing together sounding more like they are supposed to be a sonic backdrop for a pre-eminently visual experience. Or maybe not even visual- in its approach, if not its sound, it reminds me a little of Mike Patton’s Pranzo Oltranzista, which is supposed to be music to eat surrealist food to whilst blindfolded. This might ring alarm bells. Surely the flip-side of this “multimedia” approach is the sneaking suspicion that it can’t really stand up on its own as music. Does it really deserve centre stage? In a way, this is background music- but background music that is going to let you appear particularly hip as the host of future dinner parties.

Of course, it would be very misleading to say that this is without precedent or musical reference point. Obviously it would be silly to think that listening to more recent Manes releases wouldn’t give you at least some idea of what to expect from this. In fact, there are understandably a lot of similarities between the music here and How the World Came to an End, for example (I must confess to missing Manes’s last one). Similar experiments with ambient textures and hypnotic, shifting drum patterns abound. The difference here is that there aren’t any delineated “songs” with particular ideas or moods, and the role of the vocals is generally much smaller, often as simply another layer of instrumentation (although there are various traces of the same talky-narrative style at points). Instead of individual pieces, we have a continuous weave of different textures, some of which lull you with their hypnotic trip-hop feel, and others (such as the opening) simultaneously disorientate and invigorate you with their dissonant collage of sound- carefully constrained chaos. This is very much the work of those bands with roots in the gritty early days of black metal who have since moved into experimental electronic terrain. Ulver are the almost certainly the most celebrated example, although compared to, say, Blood Inside this is less about abstract sonic strangeness and more about a pulsating percussive tapestry that is far less dark and oppressive.

And it is in this weave of textures that this album really achieves something worthwhile. As one curious synth line or off-kilter breakbeat blurs and smears slowly into another, it becomes apparent that the beauty of this lies solely in the sonic impressions it creates. Forget melody or riffs- at its best this is simply about the invention of interesting sounds, and nothing more. At its worst, it feels a little ephemeral, but I suspect that might be an inevitable side-effect of what they are attempting.

I have a lot of sympathy for this album- any band that can straight-facedly inform me that “your grandma and your cat are both integral to kkoagulaa” (buy it and find out what I’m talking about) gets instant sympathy. It is a worthwhile approach to music that seeks to do something really distinctive. Not really close to the revolution it bills itself as, but it’s probably a progression nonetheless, into musical realms where boundary walls are little bit lower, and the flow of sound a little bit freer.

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showreview.php?id=15877&lang=en

Normally I always have an idea how to write a review when I’ve heard a CD. I have a beginning, I have an end, I look who plays in it, where they are from, if the band has more releases, what the influences are and which songs stick to the inside of my skull. I check on earlier CD’s if the line-up is the same, I translate the review, re-chew the whole thing and send it off, mostly too late as well.

With this Kkoagulaa this regime is not possible. I have no clue how to call this music, neither where to start or to end. This must be the most distorted, twisted, fearsome, evil and repetitive chaos I’ve ever heard. With some fieldwork I come up with bands like Manes, Atrox and The 3rd And The Mortal but this one track called ‘Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgi’ is just too complex, too insane to put into words. I one way it’s brilliant and I would like to re-listen the promo, but probably would lose my sanity. On the other hand it is mere more than a coaster for your beer… Damn I need to hear a metal record now!

metal.de

Ein Album, ein Stück, Manes und elementare Alchemie. Mit wirklich viel Fantasie und Zahlensymbolismus lässt sich die Spielzeit von exakt 53 Minuten und 53 Sekunden zu einem Symbol für Deneb Algedi umdeuten, dem Stern, der mit seinem Gegenstück Algedi den Kopf und Fuß des Steinbocks bildet, also just dem Sternbild, in das die Veröffentlichung von KKOAGULAAs Debüt fällt. Passt entweder gut in den Feuer-Erde-Wasser-Luft-Zyklus des Albums oder ist nur eine 5-Minuten-Spinnerei meinerseits.

Wer sind KKOAGULAA? Wer die norwegischen Avantgarde-Musiker MANES kennt, wird diesen Namen sicherlich schon vor einiger Zeit gelesen haben. MANES waren in ihren letzten Jahren eine Band, die sich nur zu gerne in die Karten schauen ließ. Freizügig veröffentlichten sie Demos, vorproduzierte Tracks, Outtakes und Remixes kostenlos im Netz, um die Fans hautnah am aktuellen Schaffen teilhaben zu lassen. Diese Tradition haben KKOAGULAA, bei denen auch Musiker aus dem Umfeld von ATROX, CHORONZON, THE 3RD AND THE MORTAL etc. beteiligt sind, fortgeführt und in den letzten Monaten immer wieder neue Klangproben vorgestellt oder die Fans auf Rundreise durchs Netz gelockt.

Die legitimen Nachfolger schlagen den gleichen Kurs ein, und gehen dabei noch eine Spur tiefer. Das Album ist kein monolithischer Block, sondern eine fortwährende Veränderung; kein einzugrenzendes Werk welches sich auf einen eher schwammigen und unscharfen Begriff wie 'Avantgarde' festlegen lässt, sondern am ehesten Patchwork-Musik, die den ungeschriebenen Gesetzen der Remixkultur des 21. Jahrhunderts folgt. Fragmente experimentellen, progressiven Rocks treffen auf Drum 'n' Bass, Breakbeats, Ragga Hip-Hop und Ambient. Sie sind moderne Klangalchemisten und Feldforscher die aus der Rohmasse an Audiomaterial das herzustellen versuchen, was in ihren Augen (und Ohren) zu Gold werden muss. Das kann der Hörer anders sehen, anders wahrnehmen. Er braucht den konzeptuellen Überbau dieses Projekts nicht zwingend, um hier eine fast einstündige Reise anzutreten, die angenehm kohärent und konsequent wirkt. Kein Chaos, kein Horror, keine schwer durchdringbare, komplexe Materie, sondern Musik, die sich auf mehreren Ebenen mitteilen will. Die Einladung dazu kommt nicht durch schnöde CD-Extras sondern durch den Entstehungsprozess - denn im Prinzip ist das hier bloß der Extrakt.

audiodrome

Kkoagulaa è un progetto di Cern dei Manes, band uscita dal calderone black metal norvegese dei Novanta, autrice negli anni Zero di un capolavoro (Vilosophe), di un discreto ep e di un altro disco d’alto livello (How The World Came To An End), scioltasi quando doveva uscire con un nuovo album dal titolo provvisorio Be All // End All.

Nessuno riusciva a incasellare i Manes, che scrivevano pezzi nei quali convivevano differenti suggestioni dell’elettronica “intelligente” e metal più e meno estremo, persino elementi hip hop e dub, se s’ascolta How The World Came To An End. Era persino difficile capire chi facesse cosa, dato il continuo avvicendarsi di un collettivo di musicisti e cantanti. Una squadra, insomma, che qui Cern raduna ancora, portando al limite una serie di suoi pensieri sulla frammentazione della musica oggi, sull’inesistenza di line-up fisse, di ruoli costanti, sul rifiuto di generi e regole (anche dell’anarchia come regola), oltre che su similitudini strane tra il suo lavoro di informatico e quello di compositore. Ecco dunque perché Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgi finisce per apparire come un provocatorio monolite di 54 minuti, nato – viene da pensare - da una serie di cartelle “draft” piene di materiale dell’era Manes, ricucito poi con fantasia in modo da formare un’unica traccia contenente tutta una serie di spunti già sentiti da loro in passato. Provocatoriamente, insomma, la band cambia nome, confonde in altri mille modi le acque, fa un “taglia e incolla” infinito di quelle che anni fa erano pur sempre buone idee, infine rinuncia purtroppo anche a trasmettere emozioni di qualunque tipo, compresa quella tristezza sconfinata e ineliminabile, sua caratteristica sin dall’era “necro & low”, in nome di una scelta ideologica secondo la quale – a grandi linee – fare musica è far passare un flusso di dati: prima o poi qualcuno lo intercetta in un dato momento e magari la sequenza che sente gli piace. A disco uscito, Cern si gode ancora una volta un “vulgo” disorientato e sorpreso, ma almeno da queste parti in senso negativo.

em.icon.vote2.gif
(2/5)

Big fan of Manes here. Are the tracks on the kkoagulaa myspace any indication for what's on the album? Cause I can't find any info anywhere about the track titles, the band doesn't seem to have a website, and Aural Music isn't very informative either.

I'm asking because that's some pretty weird stuff, some of it a bit similar to Manes, and others are nothing like I've ever heard before.

Would be nice to have some more general information about this album.

edit: oh lol I found out by reading the Dutch review that it's one big track :rolleyes:

btw, does this http://manesss.wordpress.com/ mean that Manes is still alive? Will a new album be released soon? "How the world came to an end" was supposed to have a sequel, "Be All End All" if I recall correctly, is this going to be released?

http://metal.de/cdreviews.php4?was=review&id=14260

KKOAGULAA - Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgi

kkoa_anneav.jpg

Stil:Experimental Label/Kontakt:Aural MusicAnzahl Songs:1 SongsDauer:53:53Webseite:www.myspace.com/kkoagulaa

Ein Album, ein Stück, Manes und elementare Alchemie. Mit wirklich viel Fantasie und Zahlensymbolismus lässt sich die Spielzeit von exakt 53 Minuten und 53 Sekunden zu einem Symbol für Deneb Algedi umdeuten, dem Stern, der mit seinem Gegenstück Algedi den Kopf und Fuß des Steinbocks bildet, also just dem Sternbild, in das die Veröffentlichung von KKOAGULAAs Debüt fällt. Passt entweder gut in den Feuer-Erde-Wasser-Luft-Zyklus des Albums oder ist nur eine 5-Minuten-Spinnerei meinerseits.

Wer sind KKOAGULAA? Wer die norwegischen Avantgarde-Musiker MANES kennt, wird diesen Namen sicherlich schon vor einiger Zeit gelesen haben. MANES waren in ihren letzten Jahren eine Band, die sich nur zu gerne in die Karten schauen ließ. Freizügig veröffentlichten sie Demos, vorproduzierte Tracks, Outtakes und Remixes kostenlos im Netz, um die Fans hautnah am aktuellen Schaffen teilhaben zu lassen. Diese Tradition haben KKOAGULAA, bei denen auch Musiker aus dem Umfeld von ATROX, CHORONZON, THE 3RD AND THE MORTAL etc. beteiligt sind, fortgeführt und in den letzten Monaten immer wieder neue Klangproben vorgestellt oder die Fans auf Rundreise durchs Netz gelockt.

Die legitimen Nachfolger schlagen den gleichen Kurs ein, und gehen dabei noch eine Spur tiefer. Das Album ist kein monolithischer Block, sondern eine fortwährende Veränderung; kein einzugrenzendes Werk welches sich auf einen eher schwammigen und unscharfen Begriff wie 'Avantgarde' festlegen lässt, sondern am ehesten Patchwork-Musik, die den ungeschriebenen Gesetzen der Remixkultur des 21. Jahrhunderts folgt. Fragmente experimentellen, progressiven Rocks treffen auf Drum 'n' Bass, Breakbeats, Ragga Hip-Hop und Ambient. Sie sind moderne Klangalchemisten und Feldforscher die aus der Rohmasse an Audiomaterial das herzustellen versuchen, was in ihren Augen (und Ohren) zu Gold werden muss. Das kann der Hörer anders sehen, anders wahrnehmen. Er braucht den konzeptuellen Überbau dieses Projekts nicht zwingend, um hier eine fast einstündige Reise anzutreten, die angenehm kohärent und konsequent wirkt. Kein Chaos, kein Horror, keine schwer durchdringbare, komplexe Materie, sondern Musik, die sich auf mehreren Ebenen mitteilen will. Die Einladung dazu kommt nicht durch schnöde CD-Extras sondern durch den Entstehungsprozess - denn im Prinzip ist das hier bloß der Extrakt.Punkte: 7/10

Big fan of Manes here. Are the tracks on the kkoagulaa myspace any indication for what's on the album? Cause I can't find any info anywhere about the track titles, the band doesn't seem to have a website, and Aural Music isn't very informative either.

I'm asking because that's some pretty weird stuff, some of it a bit similar to Manes, and others are nothing like I've ever heard before.

Would be nice to have some more general information about this album.

edit: oh lol I found out by reading the Dutch review that it's one big track :rolleyes:

btw, does this http://manesss.wordpress.com/ mean that Manes is still alive? Will a new album be released soon? "How the world came to an end" was supposed to have a sequel, "Be All End All" if I recall correctly, is this going to be released?

kkoagulaa rule #1 - you do not talk about manes
(there are blog comments or email for that)
:heh:
- ccernn

http://www.metalnews.de/?metalid=05&action=show&cdid=4497

Kkoagulaa - Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgis
cdcover_389809000.jpg
Band:
KkoagulaaAlbum:Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum VulgisGenre:Ambient, Experimental, Post/Avantgarde Black MetalLabel:Aural MusicBewertung:5 von 7Releasedatum:19.03.10CD kaufen:
"Zerstören ist Kunst"

So manch einer kann sich noch an die Zeit erinnern als eine Vielzahl von bösen Buben ihr Corpse-Paint ablegten und die Postmoderne des Black Metal einläuteten. Nach dem “Themes From William Blake’s The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell”-Album der Norweger von ULVER wusste so mancher Anhänger dieses Genres wohl nicht mehr, wo ihm der Kopf steht. Da war plötzlich die altgewohnte Kulisse von hämmernden Drums und geschrederten Akkorden durch elektronische Beats und massenweise Samples abgelöst worden. Ähnlich verhielt es sich mit den Landsleuten von MANES. Was bis 2003 noch nach Tod und Verderben schreite, widmete sich nach dem „Vilosophe“-Album einem experimentelleren Ansatz und machte noch fünf weitere Jahre in diesem Sinne weiter bis 2008, aufgrund von verschiedenen internen Vorstellungen über die Zukunft der Band, die Auflösung beschlossen wurde. Eine Geschichte, die jetzt weitergeschrieben werden soll?
KKOAGULAA, so lautet der zungenbrechende Name des neuen Projekts von ex-MANES-Chef Cern. Auf den ersten Blick erscheint es als ob die neue Band das, woran der Vorgänger in der Spätphase zerbrochen ist, einhalten könnte. Die neue Scheibe „Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgi“ versucht konzeptuell alles anders zu machen als es die berüchtigten „konventionellen Bands“ machen würden und schon nach wenigen Minuten man muss man sich als Hörer darauf einstellen, dass man Black Metal im IMMORTALschen Sinne auf diesem Album nicht finden wird. Es krächzen die Synthies, das elektronische Drum-Kit rattert vor sich hin und ab und zu wird die düstere Melancholie von einer heiser-wirkenden Stimme durchschnitten, die sich anhört als ob es nach Tour-Ende immer noch Arbeit gibt. So wie es in einem Manifest von Kkoagulaa auf der Homepage des Plattenlabels drinsteht, versucht die Band jenseits von allem zu gehen, was auch nur ansatzweise bisher dagewesen ist. Jenseits von Grenzen und auch jenseits von allem anderen, das sich schon außerhalb dieser Kategorien gewagt hat. Man spricht sogar von der konzeptuellen „Zerstörung von Kunst“ um den wahren Kern dessen heraus zu destillieren. Das Resultat ist ein Album, das aus einem einzigen 50-Minütigen Track besteht, welcher sehr viele Anleihen einbindet, wie sie einem auch schon aus Manes-Zeiten bekannt sind. Trip-Hop und Ambient wechseln sich ab mit Ausflügen in den Wave-Gothic-Bereich und man findet sogar Zeit ein paar Streicher unterzubringen. Nach einiger Zeit des Lauschens drängt sich mir unfreiwillig die Assoziation von einem von Schlaflosigkeit geplagten DAVID BOWIE an einem sehr verregneten Sonntagmorgen auf, der sich um erst einmal wieder klar zu kommen eine Tasse Gin einschüttet und den ganzen Prozess wiederum musikalisch dokumentiert. Ab und zu blickt man beim Hörvergnügen ein wenig stutzig drein, da es der Post-MANES-Truppe sogar gelungen ist einen Rapper unterzubringen.
Alles in allem kommt man, wenn man mal etwas anderes hören möchte, bei dem Album durchaus auf seine Kosten. Leute, die auf etwas verdaulichere Kost stehen kann ich vom Kauf des Albums abraten. Ich kann auch nicht unerwähnt lassen, dass mich oft das Gefühl beschlich, dass man sich bei der Produktion der Scheibe nur allzu sehr auf Innovation verkrampfte und so am Ende die Definitionen von Progress auseinanderdriften. Man muss der Scheibe zugestehen, dass sie atmosphärisch ist und ein paar Überraschungen parat hat, aber rein musikalisch tritt sich nicht über eine depressive World-Music-Collage hinaus. Nebenbei ist man leicht versucht den Vergleich mit den Landsleuten von ULVER zu suchen und kann KKOAGULAA musikalisch und entwicklungstechnisch keine Emanzipation attestieren, die qualitativ überlegen ist. „Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgi“ ist somit kein Album, das das Rad neu erfunden hat, aber sehr sphärisch und für das Relaxen zwischen DARKTHRONE und SATYRICON gut zu empfehlen.
Trackliste:
Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum VulgisSpielzeit: 00:53:53

Line-Up:
Hatlen - Gesang
Eemerson - Gesang
Ccern - Gitarre, Synthie
Vvindd - Gitarre
Hoesmsnes - Drums
Trstn - E-Bass

Oleg Pronitschew | 12.03.2010 | 19:20

French readers: the review I did for TRansit Mag's March issue...

KKOAGULAA | Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgi (2010)
Aural Music

Se ddissoudree, ccoagulerr. Une vie de ttransmutationn. Né dans les forges du black metal norvégien, Manes avait trouvé sa pierre philosophale en se réincarnant dans le postrock puis le trip hop, le temps de deux albums de génie, ‘Vilosophe’ et ‘How The World Came To An End’. Prisonnier de ce corps trop étroit, Cern, a choisi de tuer son golem pour mieux le ramener à la vie, sous les traits insaisissables de Kkoagulaa. Cern est devenu Ccernn ; le démiurge s’est fait aalchimistee. De ses alambics sort ce metal précieux qui n’a rien de ccommunn, comme le promet le titre de l’opus. ‘Aurum Nostrum…’ se fait matière en fusion : un seul titre de 53 minutes en perpétuel mouvement, où s’entrechoquent des particules jazz, electronica, big beat,… Projet multidimensionnel, Kkoagulaa fait se cristalliser des formes d’art variées – photographie, musique, vidéo – dans une œuvre aux contours incertains, à la charpente floue. Impossible de qualifier concrètement le produit de cette expérience sans limite. ‘Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgi’… L’or de Kkoagulaa n’a rien de ccommunn. C’est sa force et sa faiblesse. La matière la plus pure y côtoie le plomb, de passages de génie en instants bruitistes parfois incompréhensibles. Cet or-là n’a rien de ccommunn. Il n’a rien de solide non plus, sublimation d’une abstraction totale, inaccessible, au premier abord, à ttouss. [Dave]
http://kkoagulaa.wordpress.com/

sea of tranquility

star_whole.gif
star_whole.gif
star_whole.gif
star_half.gif

Kkoagulaa is perhaps a strange name for a band would you say, but it suits this strange creature. This is a six piece ensemble mostly formed by artists hailing from Norway and some from the states. The idea originated from Manes ex-member Ccern, who brought along musicians from his former band as well as elements from Atrox, The Third and the Mortal, Griffin, Godsend and Choronzon amongst others.

The presentation being done, what should we expect from this combination of unconventional bands that is now signed to Aural Music? Nothing conformal of course! Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgi has been described as avant-garde music for good reasons. This 53 minutes single piece is not meant for pop radio and is not intended for MTV either. On the other hand, it is not for everyone either, even if you have an open mind. Listening to this album in one sitting is not an easy task. This release is adventurous, experimental, surrealistic and psychedelic at times, although keeping a certain consistency and some melodic edge in bonus. Nothing too "off the wall" or crazy going on, not even extreme I should add. Mostly relaying on electronics, keyboards, industrial samplings and clean vocals, this release bears a certain cinematic feel. At some point, it even reminded me of an 80's act called: Frankie Goes to Hollywood with its techno beat and sound. Some distorted guitars are present, orchestral tones too; a touch of heaviness and intensity is making appearances, all of which collide gently with calmer times, ambience and spacey keyboards patterns.

All in all, Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgi is not bad at all, without being outstanding or a masterpiece. It remains entertaining, but too long lasting for my own taste.

http://www.metal.it/album.aspx/12006/

Dietro i misteriosi Kkoagula in realtà ci sono i Manes, i quali sembrerebbero non più attivi, stante il tenore delle notizie circolate ultimamente.

Il nuovo progetto del mastermind norvegese Cern riprende le sperimentazioni sonore già viste nel monumentale “Vilosophe”, tuttavia portandole alle estreme conseguenze.

Una sola traccia, che dà anche il titolo al disco, “Aurum Nostrum Non Est Aurum Vulgi”, 54 minuti di trip multiforme, liquido, cangiante, camaleontico, a base di trip-hop, dub, industrial, techno, noise e metal.

Un trip notturno, alieno, senza un inizio e senza una fine, senza alcun punto di riferimento. Una sola costante, il movimento, andare, senza sosta, senza mai fermarsi.

Un trip acido, che non rilassa, indispone, a tratti disturba, che trascina in una realtà grigia, di confine, ai bordi.

Non ho altre parole per descrivere questo disco, la cui capacità di dare emozioni è prettamente soggettiva. Nella musica dei Kkoagulaa non ci sono regole, non ci sono schemi, si preme il tasto play e si comincia a viaggiare, ciascuno verso una destinazione diversa. Have a nice trip!