The Axis Of Perdition - "Physical illucinations..." REVIEWS

from DK666

no rate (but amazing review...)

http://www.dk666.altervista.org/AxisOfPerdition_physical.htm

E' con immenso piacere che sento riparlare degli Axis of Perdition, dopo mesi di silenzio e voci preoccupanti sul loro futuro...il duo inglese ha trovato un accordo con la grandiosa Code 666 (l'UNICA etichetta italiana per quanto mi riguarda...) che ha dato alle stampe questo mcd di 5 pezzi per un totale di circa 30 minuti, "strictly limited" a 666 copie, cosa che aggiunge ulteriore valore al contenuto di questo, già di per sè, incredibile lavoro, e che è preludio al nuovo full-lenght in uscita nel 2005 dal titolo "Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital". Li ho conosciuti con "The Ichneumon Method" e me ne sono innamorato perdutamente...quel disco, come "Physical Illucinations", è un capolavoro di "post black metal" contaminato dalle sostanze radioattive industriali sparse per Mururoa (grande hehe)...gli AoP puntano sull'immaginazione, cercando di creare "mondi", visioni lugubri, incubi con la loro personalissima miscela musicale a metà strada fra il black metal "moderno" di gente come Thorns e Dodheimsgard e la noise elettronica/ambientale di, chessò, Brighter Death Now...ciò che ne scaturisce è davvero eccitante: sembra di essere i protagonisti di un film horror (bellissima la copertina e il booklet, come consuetudine, la Code666 non si smentisce...), in cui non vi sono "mostri" ma le nostre "paure"...l'isolamento, l'inquietudine e il buio sono le tre componenti magistralmente strutturate dal "vortice di perdizione" e la sensazione soffocante è quella di essere costantemente fra "l'incudine" e il "martello"...difficile consigliare un album così "ostico", così estremo, così particolare, quello che è valso per bands come Thee Maldoror Kollective e Cult of Luna, vale per gli Axis of Perdition, seppur con le dovute differenze stilistiche...siate consapevoli, poliedrici e nichilisti, un potenziale viaggio multisensoriale vi attende...

(http://www.lordsofwinter.com/Menu.php3?action=chronique&groupe=922&album=1838)

A l'origine destinés au split (officiellement avorté) avec Blut Aus Nord, les cinq morceaux composés par Axis of Perdition se retrouvent condensés dans ce mcd strictement limité à 500 exemplaires. Compte tenu du résultat, on n'ose imaginer la qualité du travail qu'auraient accompli conjointement les deux groupes...
"Welcome to witness the beginning: the rebirth of paradise". Tel est le message que nous adresse une hôtesse, une sonnette d'alarme retentissant derrière elle. Après le destructeur The Ichneumon Method, Physical Illucinations offre une seconde vision du chaos, reposant sur un axe à géométrie variable. Car Axis of Perdition navigue désormais entre black et indus, retirant dans chacun des styles tout ce qui s'approche résolument du cataclysme musical. Plages transitoires, Interference from the Other Side et Reopening Wounds of the Translation Hospital dessinent le no man's land sur fond d'indus bruitiste accompagné des sirènes de détresse omniprésentes. Glaciales, ces préludes aux ruines annoncent ce qui reste la trame musicale d'Axis of Perdition: un black post apocalyptique. Toujours exceptionnellement destructurées, les parties d'Axis of Perdition tendent vers une hystérie comme seul Anaal Nathrakh a pu l'orhestrer. Les évolutions barrées d'une boîte à rythme démentielle accompagnent des guitares de plus en plus dysharmonieuses. C'est sur un indicible déluge sonore que surnagent les vocaux arrachés et résonnants d'un chanteur complètement catastrophé. Hallucinant et halluciné, Physical Illucinations chante la renaissance de Xuchilbara dans sa propre destruction. Au terme d'un voyage d'une effrayante insanité, Axis of Perdition a réalisé une fois encore une oeuvre à la violence incomparable. Ebouriffant!

8/10

hey, as nobody answered my posts about AOP in the mp3 battle thread, I post here the forthcoming review i've done for Voices from the darkside (www.voicesfromthedarkside.de) ; let's note that I've been stopping my reviewing activities since a long while, but I did like this MCD so far I had to write down a few words about it.

The Axis Of Perdition - Physical Illucinations in the Sewer of Xulchibara MCD(Code666/2004)
"And then again I saw, and behold" a new seal of the purest avant-gardist UK's duo ; after their essential previous stereo drawings namely 'The Ichneumond Method - and less welcome techniques' here they come again with the violent stinch of twitching terror wrapped in half an hour of a nightmare suspension .
'Cause here is their real nightmare suspension...from the very beginning the sound inexpressibly enters the ear to smelt down unto the mind,then to the unconscious and thus the nightmare to begin...the 'machine' aspires every inch of reality, twisting shades start to appear, the target is approaching...intensity, everything is about intensity in this digital manipulation, everything...until the illucination of a waking interferates from the other side : "I have come to witness the beginning (...)" ; be sure you're not awake, you're just about to touch the first depth (Where the world becomes flesh) entwined in an impulsive torment of acrid guitars and pounding chirurgical beats, they sound here as the unatural progression from the first act, sometimes a bit more Hardcore-ish, sometimes a bit more Death-ish, sometimes a bit more Black-ish...nevermind, the definition is avoidable.
" Did you do all this ? " - oscillations locked in the red, overdriving the loudness of the sub frequencies, the Pendulum Prey - Reciprocating Horror is to my point the track which definitely includes The Axis Of Perdition into the Unique-Level-reachers' ranks showing them with an outstanding sense of rythm and tunes that contemplates with power what is given with a far-distance clear voice ; they created some space in their music compared to the (relatively) massive Ichneumond Method album. This, is their key to go beyond everything that stands .
A vast concert of industrial noises and a sonar disturbance (Reopening wounds from the transition hospital) brings you to another depth of the created paradigma (Heaving Salvation in the paradise of rust), a visionnary entity of the unknown abyss which is yet to come, to descend into, but seems infinite , desperately black ; and as oceans' depths drive a soul to get deeper, you're bound to inexorabily re-begin what you've always done, but what you always forget - clinging against the stream . Deconstructions, un-harmonic arpegios, a contemplative voice, and a neverending oppression progressively guides to revelations , to release the stone you were hanging against the stream and get carried by it...
literally out---standing; to be continued...

from Babylo Magazine

http://www.babylonmagazine.net/vis_...ERDITION&nome_disco=Physical Illucinations EP

rate: 7,5/10

Bisogna inserirlo sul lettore CD con consapevolezza, con un presagio. Che niente sarà più lo stesso dopo il primo ascolto. Il "Timor dell'Asse", sensazione che Miklon B e Brooke sono consapevoli di ispirare nell'ascoltatore, viene manipolato con saggezza, malizia, esperienza. "Interference From The Other Side - Pendulum's Pray", è un incubo che taglia. Ti stordisce con rumori che nascono dal silenzio, dal marcio dell'asfalto umido di periferia metropolitana, rumori minacciosi di una vita sotterranea, lievi interferenze digitali sempre più striscianti. Poi, ad un certo punto, la follia schizoide totale esplode improvvisamente come una sega circolare che si pianta sul metallo. Un'assordante stridere, l'urlo della macchina perfetta. "I have come to witness the beginning. The rebirth of Paradise, despoiled by mankind / Remember me, and your true self as well - also, that which you must become. The one who will lead us to paradise, with bloodstained hands". Chi conosce gli Axis Of Perdition sa che la ricostruzione del Paradiso, con implicata vendetta sulla natura dell'uomo, è incondizionatamente legata ad uno spargimento di sangue. Musica che fa arrugginire il sangue, massacro preannunciato da "The Ichneumon Method" e che inizia con i chiaroscuri di "When The World Becomes Flesh", attimi di vuoto vertiginosi marcati da assalti frontali; chitarre cariche di presagi non certo sereni scandiscono con pomposità l'inizio dello scempio. Rispetto al precedente album, gli Axis Of Perdition sono andati sull'allucinante-allucinogeno, catturando le atmosfere più ripugnanti e terrificanti à la Silent Hill, alla cui serie parte del disco è ispirato. In mezzo a depravati e disturbanti scream scavati nella coltre di noise industrial, i rallentamenti atmosferici con ipnotici e surreali lead di chitarra compaiono come pura follia. Come brevi flash luminosi, urla lancinanti fanno visualizzare alla mente violentissimi quadri insanguinati, macabre opere d'arte criminale portate a termine con perfezione chirurgica. Nelle note più rilassate c'è il ludico sadismo psicopatico di un serial killer lucido. "Pendulum Prey Reciprocating Horror" rigetta ancora una volta una maligna scarica di odio troppo precisa e troppo ben programmata per avere un coinvolgimento emotivo. E sprofonda ad un certo punto in una raccapricciante, folle, impressionante, disumana contemplazione di tossiche distese di chitarra, effetti digitali e campionamenti da incubo, urla distorte che salgono di ottava in ottava incalzando senza limite. "Reopening Wounds Of The Transition Hospital" si può considerare un breve intervallo, che prepara ad un perfetto secondo tempo. "Heaving Salvation In The Paradise Of Rust", otto minuti abbondanti che si possono semplicemente definire: agghiaccianti.
Se fosse stato per la Appease Me Records "Physical Illucinations In The Sewer Of Xuchilbara" correva il rischio di non mietere vittime. Con la Code666 gli Axis Of Perdition hanno trovato il modo di dare al mondo 666 copie limitate di questa gemma del tormento. Vi auguro, se siete abbastanza forti per questo tipo di proposta, di essere fra i 666 testimoni di una cosa troppo disumana per essere distribuita diversamente. Le promesse per il futuro sono per qualcosa di ancora più mentale, mettendo a tacere coloro che mettono in discussione la potenzialità del duo britannico incolpandoli assurdamente per il noise troppo estremo, proprio per questo disumano, e per i tempi a volte troppo veloci, proprio per questo surreali e così drammaticamente evocativi.

well, maybe some guy from Finland can help us ;) hehehe...

axisreview.jpg

o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O

from EUTK magazine

http://www.eutk.net/rece.asp?id=2990

rate: 8,5/10

Avete presente quando la notte precedente avete fatto un incubo e al risveglio mattutino non riuscite a ricordare cosa avete sognato, ma avete comunque una sensazione di terrore diffuso? È questo l’effetto che fa il nuovo mcd degli Axis Of Perdition, un duo inglese con già un full-lenght alle spalle.
Mezz’ora basta a Mike e Brooke per risvegliare paure ancestrali, angosce sopite, lasciando all’ascoltatore la scelta dell'incubo preferito, che può essere tanto il suono di una sirena che annuncia un raid aereo tanto il clangore metallico di una fabbrica che cade in pezzi, tutti rigorosamente color ruggine.
Il sound di partenza è un black metal feroce e brutale, il quale pur tuttavia è un rumore di fondo, si discioglie in una pozza di mefitico plasma, nel quale è immerso il vero “core” di questo disco, un nocciolo fatto di dark/ambient terrificante e harsh industrial gelido, figlio degenere dei Godflesh, il quale sovente decade nel noise più disturbante. Il paesaggio descritto è apocalittico, claustrofobico, grigio come solo una periferia urbana e degradata di un grosso centro industriale può essere, e la visione che ne si ha in queste cinque tracce è volutamente obliqua, distorta, paradossale.
Il disco ha picchi d’intensità che vanno ai limiti della follia e ben oltre la ragione umana, disseminando nella mente dell’ascoltatore scorie tossiche e panico; il finale di “Heaving Salvation In The Paradise Of Rust” vi ghiaccerà il sangue nelle vene e poi lo frantumerà in una miriade di piccoli pezzi.
“Physical Illucinations In The Sewer Of Xuchilbara...” è un incubo, ma nel 2005 gli Axis Of Perdition pubblicheranno un nuovo full-lenght. La sola idea mi fa venire la pelle d’oca.

Emi said:
well, maybe some guy from Finland can help us ;) hehehe...
QUOTE]

By the looks of that I'd say it's going to be on of those "Anaal Nathrakh clone" dismissals. Given that the guy's in Moonsorrow I'm not entirely surprised by the reaction - this kind of music can hardly be up his street....

I'm quite impressed with it. Certainly one of the more unsettling albums I've heard, I think it takes a few listens to fully appreciate it.

I'm curious - that image printed on the disc, is that of your own creation? And any idea on when the lyrics will be available? I'm really in seeing just what is being said in the album.

Kodos86 said:
I'm curious - that image printed on the disc, is that of your own creation? And any idea on when the lyrics will be available? I'm really in seeing just what is being said in the album.

The symbol wasn't created by us, it's a direct reference to the work of others, but what it symbolises and who created it is up to you to find out...

As for the lyrics, the unfortunate fact is that the majority of the words for "Where The World Becomes Flesh" have been lost, and given the frenzied nature of Brooke's screaming it's almost impossible to make out what they are so I suppose it's up to him to piece together what he can. The other lyrics will appear soon enough, I imagine, so keep your eyes peeled.

hopefuly ...we are talking to the webdesigner now about the site ...
...a lyrics page will be included but some will be omited as they are too personal for overt public display...

no, i dont have enough hair for a side parting ;) any way this from Terrorizer.

One of the most rancid metal cliches going is overusing the word "insane", usually as a lazy synonym for one or more of the following: fast, unstructured, with two singers or just when the band in question don't know their scales. When a band like The Axis Of Perdition release a masterclass in unhinged depravity such as this latest mini-album, packed with eerie soundwaves designed to stir the blackest parts of the mind, the linguistic currency is spent. "Physical Illucinations..." builds boldly on the foundations laid by the debut album, extending even its fierce creativity into a richer and more textured sonic edifice, propped up with central struts of the blackest metal. Still one of the most strikingly visual bands on the planet, this time the illusions they cause
to flicker across this writer's mangled brain are of looming victorian madhouses, and gimlet-eyed Renfields cackling maddeningly among the sweating brickwork, but each listener will surely - and helplessly - find themselves subjected to their own personal dark world of imagery by spending too long with this recording. Musically, Axis's uniquely futuristic sound, character and distinctive presence and density remain firmly in place, but are taken even further, this material bordering almost occasionally on white noise before being dragged back shrieking from the brink with a stirring, declarative riff. Most importantly, though, this is one of the most active metal listens of the year - not one for the car or a necro ironing session, but a real sit and listen experience which both demands and commands full attention.

y'know i actualy forgot to check kerrang...alexander milas gave ichneumon 4/5 last time i flicked through the last couple of issues and there where no album reviews what so ever.