The Axis Of Perdition - "Physical illucinations..." REVIEWS

Zero tolerance 2.5/6 and a pretty fair reveiw, neither positive or realy negative, the reviewer did not like it however he pointed out that people into this sort of thing would.

As for not trying... just wrapping up the 2nd album today and we where having one of those trying to force it moments...went for a chinese ( all you can eat for £4!!!!) then during a random discussion over a plate of noodles out plops a whole load of groovey ideas that turned out to be just what we where looking for...

Tetsuo unit said:
Zero tolerance 2.5/6 and a pretty fair reveiw, neither positive or realy negative, the reviewer did not like it however he pointed out that people into this sort of thing would.

As for not trying... just wrapping up the 2nd album today and we where having one of those trying to force it moments...went for a chinese ( all you can eat for £4!!!!) then during a random discussion over a plate of noodles out plops a whole load of groovey ideas that turned out to be just what we where looking for...
Yet another reason why chinese food kicks ass. :Smug:

Very nice review here from Foreshadow magazine:

I'm sitting in an empty room, the only light coming from the glimmering computer screen and the rain-slicked street lights outside. There is silence all around me and yet the hoarse screams of a dying, tortured man still echo in my ears. I can taste blood where I've chewed at my lips and my fingers feel numb as they type these words. I'm cold and tremble with something more than mere cold, something laden with frost that eats at my bones.

I've just finished listening to The Axis of Perdition's "Physical Illucinations in the Sewer of Xuchilbara" for the first time...

Not long ago, I wrote a review of Blut Aus Nord's "The Work Which Transforms God" and called it horrifying, ferocious. I hadn't heard "Physical Illucinations..." then. I'd not dreamt, not on the darkest of nights, of such...sounds. Building on the fractured, post-black metal of their debut recording - "The Ichneumon Method" - in the same way that a cancer builds on living flesh, with corruption and defilement, this new five-track EP defies description. The opening track, with its beyond-noise cacophony of inhuman screeches, electro-magnetic interference and scything howls of feedback, packs in more ideas than as much music as I care to name. If you close your eyes then you can see the creatures that made this abomination, smiling out from their human shells with blood-slicked lips and filth-caked claws.

A sample from one of the Silent Hill games - a perfect visual reference if one is needed - ushers in the rest of this unhallowed work...and then the horror starts in earnest. There are guitars, there are drums (both real and electronic, it would seem), there is a human voice. All that makes this different from any other kind of music is what's been done to them, what horrendous tortures they been put through. The guitars ride on a wave of black and putrid blood, sometimes slipping beneath the viscous waves only to re-emerge dripping and implacable. The drums pound incessantly - the final track pushes the speed ever faster until all pretence of cohesion collapses into sheer sonic entropy. The voice is...annihilated. Utterly incomprehensible screams of abject insanity and of retching fury blend into spoken word passages of nihilistic despair. This isn't extremity for the sake of posturing, bravado to cover human frailities, but the boundless horrors of depraved madness.

One day - a dreary, cloud-smeared pariah of a day - you will walk down an unfamiliar alleyway or visit a deserted train station. When you hear the throaty cackle and the metallic snick of a rusted blade, you will know this music. When you hear the door shut behind you and the sibillant scratching of talons on stone echoes through the darkness, you will know this music.

No score I give this could mean anything, could explain what this music contains. The only slight solace is that this is a limited edition of only 666 copies. Its plague won't spread too far.

The screams are fading. The blackness is lifting. Some faint noises are pushing into this silence around me. My hand, almost unbidded, reaches for the CD player.

It starts again.

nice made me feel warm inside...
im sat here listening to a not quite ready yet mix of teh new album, i keep looking at the cover art for it, the more the song 'E.I.M.L' progresses for more im conviced the figure is moving and the setting becomes more...detailed.

from BLACKMETALONLINE.com

Pura follia sonora. Puro malessere musicale. Passati dalla Rage Of Achille alla nostrana Code666 e cambiato il monicker da Axis Of Perdition a The Axis Of Perdition, torna la band Inglese, a distanza di un anno dal debut "The Ichneumon Method" con questo mini limitato a 666 copie che porta l'emblematico titolo di "Physical Illucinations In The Sewer Of Xuchilbara"...

Se il trascorso della band poteva inquadrarsi (anche se molto limitatamente) in una sorta di Black Metal apocalittico con parecchi inserti elettronici industrial, a tutt'oggi il caos ed il degrado industriale più oscuro ed infernale è l'unica traccia che resta di quel passato. Oggi il nero alone che stava piano piano prendendo forma con il precedente album è finalmente esploso in un devastante e destabilizzante caos supremo, dove la macchina ha la meglio sull'uomo, dove le frequenze industriali più spiazzanti si mescolano con le distorsioni di chitarre allucinate e perverse e danno vita ad un connubbio sonoro proveniente forse direttamente da un'altra dimensione...

La sensazione più ricorrente che ho provato durante i molti ascolti di questo mini cd è stata senz'altro un profondo disagio; la sensazione di essere rinchiusi in un luogo nel quale non vorremmo essere, la consapevolezza che il degrado e l'oscurità ci avvolgerà inesorabilmente, che la distruzione totale è prossima e che l'Uomo è e sarà l'artefice primo di tale distruzione... Tra i convulsi loop industriali, il dark ambient più cupo e asfissiante, le distorsioni agghiaccianti e prive di forma vomitate dalle chitarre... Tutto questo è reale, palpabile, ascoltando questo dischetto...

Nient'altro da aggiungere. Se siete amanti di questo tipo di sonorità allora fate vostro questo lavoro, per tutti gli altri non so davvero cosa consigliare... E' un disco pericoloso... Usare con moderazione...

a place called Metalnews.de gave us 0.5/7. I'm rubbish at German, but l managed to pick out "A pain to lovers of real music". Hugely entertaining...

This from Hyperblastmetal:

This is a limited edition Ep and only has 666 copies in print, which is standard procedure for the record label Code 666 when issuing limited edition copies. After “The Ichneumon Method” I was partially looking forward to the next release. Maybe not as much as Erus, but in retrospect “The Ichneumon Method” was a decent release. However, in my opinion it had some character flaws that I couldn’t ignore and I wondered if they would put something out that was even more chaotic.

I have to say that this is probably one of the most interesting and frightening albums I’ve heard this year. This is an incredible improvement for Axis of Perdition, in my opinion, from their last effort. Basically this album is much less chaotic than the previous, but it is probably twenty times darker and that much more foreboding. While the actual songs are quite chaotic, in that chaos I found some semblance of order. A more exacting and calculating figure bent on hatred to put it in more artistic terms.

As with the last album, Axis of Perdition conceptually focus on the overall destruction of society and everything related to life. They view it as a filthy existence and want nothing to do with it. This album definitely focuses more on ambience than metal in comparison to the last album, which is great in my opinion because this gives the whole listen a more intangible an inhuman feel. The album opens with a full song of ambience and noise which sets the tone for the whole album. It is similar to what Abruptum is probably trying to do, but fail miserably at every single time they enter the studio. Regardless this Axis of Perdition album feels more like an actual story or journey into darkness than “The Ichneumon Method.” An interesting production note is that I found the production to be slightly better on this release. However, on the song “Where the World Becomes Flesh” the vocals appear to be too low in the mix. I think this is on purpose though, because it adds for an interesting background feel to the music. Later on in the album the vocals get louder. “Heaving Salvation in the Paradise of Rust” is simply an incredible conceptual piece by this band. The previous track is just emergency vehicle sirens, so it sets the listener up for something horrible happening. The last track opens with a clean guitar passage and follows down a very gloomy path. It hits into a metal section once in the song with varying ambience and samples as is Axis of Perditions prerogative in the past.

In summation I would say if anyone is looking for anything that is overwhelmingly dark and intense at the same time, this is the album to get. I somewhat wish this was not a limited edition album because I believe more people should hear this album. Overall, if I had to give this a quick description I would say that if Pinhead from Hellraiser listened to any album regularly, it would be this album. (Cleric)

Overall Rating: 9.7

Though bizarrely, they credit Greg Whalen with all of Brooke's bits. I'll have to email them about that...

(http://www.metalgospel.org/Reviews/taopphysical.html)

The soundtrack to your nightmares. This EP by obscure UK entity The Axis Of Perdition is pure apocalyptic chaos divided over 5 tracks of unnerving, schizophrenic black metal and ambient/noise. The opening track "Interference From The Other Side" effectively sets the tone for the album with a most disturbing and foreboding ambient piece, transporting the listener into a nightmare world of otherworldly evil - a furious evil unleashed when the 2nd track "When The World Becomes Flesh" is just under way. The harsh and brutal metal riffs, cold and inhuman drum computer battery and distorted vocal torment embodied in the complex, unpredictable song structures reminds me possibly of a blend between Anaal Nathrakh and the last Emperor album, engulfed in a true horror-like atmosphere, sometimes almost industrial in tone. The terror doesn't let up one bit during the 3rd track, either. The fury only relents for the penultimate track, a short ambient interlude, and a good part of the lengthy closing track, which alternates between ambient horror, spoken passages and midpaced black metal, until in the final minutes of the mcd the complete chaos returns in all-consuming rage. Roughly 30 minutes will have passed and you're back to reality, yet the nightmare visions of The Axis Of Perdition will forever haunt you... Great stuff. Now this kind of thing certainly won't be everybody's cup of tea, but for me The Axis Of Perdition represents a breath of fresh air in a stale scene with countless Darkclones and other unoriginal garbage. So if you're looking for something different in extreme metal, check out The Axis Of Perdition.
-Carcassvoice

DIGITALMETAL.COM:

If there really was something funny going on with Britain’s public water system it would certainly go a long way to explaining many things, from their tradition of driving on the wrong side of the highway right though to the acerbic drenched filth currently spewed forth from deep within the bowels of their extreme metal underground. The Ichneumon Method, Axis of Perdition’s staggeringly promising debut, seemingly came out of nowhere and was greeted with as much scorn as it did praise, showing respect for the black metal genre by tearing up the very rulebook that has imprisoned the creative beast for what seems like an eternity. Dispensing with the formalities almost entirely, Axis erected a futuristic cyber black monstrosity, one which skilfully married the harsh industrialised soundscapes of vintage Strapping Young Lad and Throbbing Gristle, with the outward reaching symphonic gestures of Emperor, creating a startlingly fresh hybrid that was too perfectly unified to be labelled a Frankenstein. This stop gap release finds the band at an interesting cross road of sorts, venturing further down the ambient/industrial path that singled them out from the rest of the blackened hordes, without undermining the mechanistic sonic blitzkrieg that makes the Axis experience so captivating to begin with. “Interference from the Other Side” kicks things off in a typically nasty fashion, with its chilling deep space ambient noise textures brewing ominously, twisting and turning itself slowly towards the inevitable crescendo blow out, a deeply atmospheric and frightening journey into the nether regions of all things twisted and perverse. If Giger like images are the least terrifying thing that comes to mind while listening consider yourself very lucky indeed. “Where The World Becomes Flesh”, the first real metal offering, goes straight for the jugular, merging film samples, dense layers of noisy guitar riffs, heavily processed vocals and a drum machine set to explode at any given moment. In short, an unholy racket that sounds like it’s being transmitted from and by something not quite of this world. “Heaven Salvation In The Paradise Of Rust” is arguably the most devastating cut of the lot, providing a veritable snapshot of madness and urban decay in a futuristic post-apocalyptic wasteland, replete with slow burning arpeggios, droning leads, siren noises and voice-overs constantly reminding us that the end is near. As the track begins to dissolve, fading into the inexorable black hole from which it arose, Axis put the pedal to the metal one last time, blasting their way to the finale, reminding us that while the end may well be near, that is no reason to bow out quietly per se.

From Metalworks Magazine #5 (www.metalworksmagazine.com):

The Axis of Perdition
‘Physical Illucinations in the Sewer of Xulchilbara…’
code666
Opening with a rather drawn-out and eerie movie type clip that drags on a bit, I was beginning to think there was no music on this at all. When the music does emerge, some kind of effect-laden Grind issues forth, with the drums seeming to take on a mind of their own in terms of interpreting the music, which simply adds to the chaos. The record label description is Extreme Cinematic Noisescape Metal, which is fairly accurate. This music is meant to be a headfuck, and to a large degree it is, and no doubt, is meant for those of a very open musical mind. At times they vaguely remind me of Esoteric or Scald, the only reference points I can think of. This is a 30-minute mini-CD, and to be honest, the thought of clapping ears on a full-length album fills me with a deep sense of dread. A deeply disturbing listen, yet somehow I find myself drawn to it. www.code666.net
6/10 ArdChieftain

I write for Hyperblast and I have no idea why he credited it with that name. I'll have him fix it though. Hopefully I'll recieve my copy of the new album soon, which I ordered a couple weeks ago, so I can write what I anticipate to be a glowing review.

From Vampire magazine (NL)

(http://www.vampire-magazine.com/reviews.asp?id=3676)

"Physical illucinations in the sewer of Xuchilbara...(The red God)" is my first introduction to The Axis of Perdition. And at the same time I can also say it is the last time that I'll listen to them, simply because I can not keep my attention focussed on the too chaotic music (should I call this music anyway?). I think the best musical description would be 'post apocalyptic industrial chaos black metal'. Within half an hour you'll get 5 tracks which pass by without leaving any clue about what you've heard. If I should make a comparison I would say DHG (aka Dødheimsgard) during their "666 Intenational" era. The guitarsound is quite similar and they also sound quite chaotic from time to time. What makes the difference is that DHG has got a red line through their music which makes it relatively easy to get grip on the music. Here it is chaos al the way. I do have to say that from time to time a really dark, sinister and eerie mood is created by using samples and other unexplainable sounds and noises. Still the overall sound doesn't leave any good impression at all. There is only one exception here...the first part from the last track "Heaving salvation in the paradise of rust" could've been taken from the "666 International" album. Listen to"Shiva-Interfere" from DHG and you'll hear the similarities like the way the guitar is picked string by string, like the way the vocals sound next to the guitars and like the way the drums are played. The disappointing thing is that only the first part of the track sounds like this, the remaining part of the song is again unidentified chaos with some shouting on top of that. But apart from the first part of this song the album doesn't have anything to offer.
For people whom are into this kind of post apocalyptic industrial chaos noise black metal I would say: be quick as this is a limited edition of only 666 copies. For all others I'd say: better leave your hands from it!

Hmmm, norsenity.

ASKE METAL ZINE 86%

THE AXIS OF PERDITION er et nokså nytt band, formet i 2001. Det begynte med en demo og en påfølgende fullengder, før denne MCD'en kom ut i 2004.
Grunnen til at dette bandet først fikk min oppmerksomhet, er nettopp at selveste drumtastic sir blastic Dan "Storm" Mullins (nyutpekt trommis for BAL-SAGOTH) var med i bandets line-up en stund, og da må man jo låne bort øret. Forøvrig er det også medlemmer fra SERMON OF HYPOCRISY tilstede.

Skiva begynner med en lang intro titlert 'Interference From The Other Side Pendelums Prey'. Bare introen er virkelig syk og horror-lignende, og er en passende start på det som vil komme. Det skal nevnes at introen er 100% ambient, men tikker fortsatt inn på 5 minutter. Denne og spor nr. 4, 'Reopening The Wounds Of The Transition Hospital' er de instrumentale låtene.

'Where The World Becomes Flesh' er første ikke-instrumentale låt. Låta introduseres av klaustofobiske lydeffekter og replikker. Det hele braker løs i et reint helvete.

Partiene fremført av fullt orkester er enten svært raske eller svært tekniske, og mindregenialitetsfaktoren er faktisk ikke tilstede en eneste gang i riffinga.
Ambientpartiene er heller ikke få, og de skaper en uhyggelig, post-apokalyptisk stemning.
Lydbildet forøvrig er nokså kaotisk, i likhet med stemningen. Etterhvert kan man kanskje bli litt sliten, men låtene glir over i stemningsfulle partier som skaper en bra variasjon.

Låtstrukterene er relativt merkelige, og det er ikke tvil om at disse gutta gjør noe nytt. Det bør også nevnes at sistelåta er holder et litt roligere tempo en de andre. Konseptet er en slags beskrivelse av et mentalsykehus (for å skjønne det bedre, besøk AoP-websiden). Skiva er også spelt inn med programmerte trommer (det hadde uansett ikke vært mulig å spille).

Jeg må egentlig si at 'Physical Illucinations In The Sewer of Xuchilbara' er noe av det sykeste jeg har hørt (samtidig som det er svært stemningsfullt).
Man får håpe at bandet holder like høy standard på deres nyeste fullengder 'Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital'.