Laboga "The Beast" 30W head - black metal.... sort of

Very nice! Sounds like it hardly needs any post EQ at all. It sounded defined and thick.

Was this with high gain on the amp? I personally would prefer just a tiny bit more. Just a smidge though.

Lovely tone. I think the slightly undergained sound fits the music perfectly, though. Downloaded your EP from Bandcamp and love it.

Very nice! Sounds like it hardly needs any post EQ at all. It sounded defined and thick.

Was this with high gain on the amp? I personally would prefer just a tiny bit more. Just a smidge though.

I've taken a lot out of it for the mix actually! Lots of things going on in that mix that I'd rather hear over the rhythm tone. Still working on the mix, but there's a current version of the full tune here:

There's another amp used in the final mix too, so I think it gets the right amount of bite. Still want to hear all the notes in the chords, so the gain level was just under 2 when this was recorded!!!

Lovely tone. I think the slightly undergained sound fits the music perfectly, though. Downloaded your EP from Bandcamp and love it.

Thanks Don! That demo EP from last year is pretty bad sounding - it was just an experiment with some mates really. New EP should be on Bandcamp in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers!

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Cool stuff man! Oh btw, I do think the medium gain tone sounds perfect for that production too. I was purely wondering if the amp could do more if pushed, for my personal sounds. Should have expressed that clearer probably. :)

Dig the mysic style too. Is it by any chance inspired by Enslaved? I'm getting similar vibes at some points (which is a compliment btw!).

^ Cool stuff man! Oh btw, I do think the medium gain tone sounds perfect for that production too.
+1

This stuff is awesome! I really like how you combined that black metal kind of stuff with syncopated rhythms :)

Is it by any chance inspired by Enslaved? I'm getting similar vibes at some points (which is a compliment btw!).

Haha! Yep. It's all a massive Enslaved rip off! Especially the other 3 tracks, although there's bits of Blut Aus Nord and Burzum thrown in for good measure.

The amp has far more gain than you would ever need to be honest. It quickly gets over saturated by about 5 on the pot. Past that, chords start getting indistinguishable. It's a very modern, tight sounding distortion. In fact, I used a very similar setup on this recent demo recording where the band preferred the Laboga sound over their own amps:

http://www.silent-city.co.uk/clips/liber.mp3 (There's a 5150 subtley blended in this for rhythms, all the lead guitar is Laboga too)