Lacuna Coil US Tour...w/guests Within Temptation!

I only heard about 2 1/2 Stolen Babies songs, but I liked them better than In This Moment. I know eot has an aversion to growling, but musically Stolen Babies at least had some intricacy. In This Moment are typical monotonous Metalcore, which bores me terribly.

To each his own...

I've been listening to the Stolen Babies album the last few days. It his quite enjoyable. I'll buy the CD at the concert if they have it. The video for The Push Button is entertaining.
In This Moment is pretty generic. I don't mind the title track but it's not a band I can listen to for an entire album. Century Media has been pushing this band since early last year. Every newsletter the main article was about preordering their album for just $10.

I know eot has an aversion to growling, but musically Stolen Babies at least had some intricacy.

I think Stolen Babies was also skewing their setlist to a "metal show" format somewhat. The vocals were unfortunately buried in the mix, but it is not all growling, only for emphasis in some songs. What I don't know is how she does it. Most singers who affect that style make a show of putting emphasis on it, contorting their bodies and such. Those extreme metal vocals just roll out of her mouth with what looks like little effort.

I've been listening to the Stolen Babies album the last few days. It his quite enjoyable. I'll buy the CD at the concert if they have it. The video for The Push Button is entertaining.

AND CRIMINY, look at Dominique Persi without the make-up on. I was shocked when I saw that video, and made me appreciate the fact that the band is not using her hotness as a selling tool for the band. I was kind of hoping that she'd take the harlequin make-up after the show, but I'd probably stammer a lot around her.

As for In This Moment, a couple of the songs would have been alright if they would lose the 'core element (i.e. barking vocals). After my talk with FatesFan about extreme metal vocals, I feel like a hypocrite trashing a vocal style, but come on. At least with most death & black metal acts, the harsh vocals flow with the music. Hardcore growling rarely sounds like it belongs with the music.

Have fun. Can you pay attention to LC's setlist? I want to know how much of their older stuff they do this time around. I might head out halfway through if they're going to focus 95% on the new album like the last time I saw them.

They played NO NEED TO EXPLAIN!!!!!!
and My Wings!!

I couldn't fucking believe it. No Need To Explain is my favorite song of theirs and I was floored when they played it. They also played Senzafine.

And Within Temptation was excellent. The bassist, drummer, and guitarist with hair were hanging out before and after their set and all were pretty nice. I got to meet Sharon for like 5 seconds and shake her hand before she was rushed into an SUV and drove off.

Their setlist !!!!SPOILERS!!!!

Our Solemn Hour
What Have You Done
Stand My Ground
Frozen
The Howling
The Heart of Everything
Mother Earth
Ice Queen

Nothing off Enter, but not bad at all.

EDIT:
And oh yeah Stolen Babies wasn't bad. At first I thought it was kinda gay, but it was alright. In my opinion the singer had a good voice and range (aggressive and clean vocals). In This Moment was essentially a Killswitch Engage/In Flames ripoff band with a female vocalist, breakdowns and all. Not to say they were bad, just not original.

They played NO NEED TO EXPLAIN!!!!!!
and My Wings!!

I couldn't fucking believe it. No Need To Explain is my favorite song of theirs and I was floored when they played it. They also played Senzafine.

And Within Temptation was excellent. The bassist, drummer, and guitarist with hair were hanging out before and after their set and all were pretty nice. I got to meet Sharon for like 5 seconds and shake her hand before she was rushed into an SUV and drove off.

Their setlist !!!!SPOILERS!!!!

Our Solemn Hour
What Have You Done
Stand My Ground
Frozen
The Howling
The Heart of Everything
Mother Earth
Ice Queen

Nothing off Enter, but not bad at all.

EDIT:
And oh yeah Stolen Babies wasn't bad. At first I thought it was kinda gay, but it was alright. In my opinion the singer had a good voice and range (aggressive and clean vocals). In This Moment was essentially a Killswitch Engage/In Flames ripoff band with a female vocalist, breakdowns and all. Not to say they were bad, just not original.

hah, I was just about to post that I want to hear "my wings"

I'm stoked that that WT will be playing mother earth and ice queen.

That was basically my attitude. I would never have said she looked like a pile of dog vomit before, she was "attractive," but not someone I'd goo goo over. Now, things have changed. A lot of it probably had to do with seeing her "in motion," as opposed to a still photo or an obviously staged video. Stunningly pretty lady.

827ac07d.jpg

:loco:

Yeah, I'm a fanboy.

As for In This Moment, a couple of the songs would have been alright if they would lose the 'core element (i.e. barking vocals). After my talk with FatesFan about extreme metal vocals, I feel like a hypocrite trashing a vocal style, but come on. At least with most death & black metal acts, the harsh vocals flow with the music. Hardcore growling rarely sounds like it belongs with the music.

As unusual as it may be I prefer Death Growls or Black Screeching to the yelled/barked vox of Trash and Metalcore. I don't know if that's odd or not since Death and Black vox would probably be considered more extreme, but as you say they do flow with the music.

That said it isn't the vocals of Metalcore I have a problem with. What bores me to tears is the monotonous drumming, 1 chord bass, and simplified downtuned punk riffs, which make the music about as interesting as listening to nails being hammered into plywood.

Here are a few pics I have from the Knoxville show.

Stolen Babies - I was skeptical at first, especially after seeing some of their pictures on the main site of past shows...They turned out to be awesome, something different when a lot of other bands are all starting to sound the same to me.

In This Moment - Not a fan...liked a couple of tracks off the cd, but liked em even less live. One thing I have to admit, she was excellent at playing the crowd!

Within Temptation - I only knew a few songs, but I liked them live. The guitarists were all very awesome and energetic.

Lacuna Coil - Saw them with Dragonforce last year in Atlanta, small setlist of almost nothing but new stuff. This time around they played an excellent variety, and put on one hell of a show.

Memorable Quote
Waiting in line at the door -
(For full effect, say this out loud in your best southern drawl):
"That Andre guy wuz talkin but you could hardly understand him with that there accent of his! He can barely speak english!"
I only WISH I could make that up...

I moved to Knoxville from Atlanta last year...now progpower is a pain to go to instead of just heading down there from home each day...but this show has me optimistic that I can still get my metal fix living up here in the hills...

Oh yeah, and Blue Cats is one of the coolest venues I have seen, I really liked the outdoor courtyard for the bar, merchandise, and general hangout. The upstairs looked cool, nice place to see a band you are not particularly into. We spend our time glued to the rail, but it is nice to know we COULD go up there.

Saw the Columbia show, missed Stolen Babies, saw ITM,...wasn't that impressed althought they seemed well received, then saw WT,...man, definitely worth the trip (came from Raleigh, NC for it).

Set list mentioned earlier seemed pretty accurate, can't think of anything else they did different.

Took off before seeing LC,...not really interested plus had to work in the morning anyway and the drive back was long.

Definitely a WT fanboy now. Great show. Maybe now that they've been over here, they'd be more likely to do PP IX,....hint, hint.

Da Pup.

A couple of comments on previous posts...

Stolen Babies - I was skeptical at first, especially after seeing some of their pictures on the main site of past shows...

And you are justified in thinking that...even me, Stolen Babies fanboy, thought, "oh Lord" the first time I saw them. There have been a lot of pop-punk bands copping a Tim Burton look, and I assumed that SB was another of 'em. But when I saw them being compared to bands like Oingo Boingo instead of some emo thing, I knew I had to check them out. Hearing them showed that they were a band that not only dressed the part, but _sounded_ the part, too. Easily my favorite new band of the past five years.

Memorable Quote
Waiting in line at the door -
(For full effect, say this out loud in your best southern drawl):
"That Andre guy wuz talkin but you could hardly understand him with that there accent of his! He can barely speak english!"
I only WISH I could make that up...

I've heard other people say this about Andrea, I don't get it. I have talked to him on several occasions, and he has been completely understandable every time. He has an accent, sure, but not moreso than some American citizens I've met.

Why in the heck did they not play Atlanta this time?

I asked Andrea about this, he said that the intent was to play a lot of the smaller towns that metal shows usually skipped. Yeah...bummer for the Atlanta crowd (I would have taken an extra day off and seen a second show if it had rolled through the ATL), but that was the reason.

Just got back from the Jaxx show!

Holy shit was that a friggan awesome night of metal!

I'll have to admit, I was skeptical of Stolen Babies, but after hearing and seeing them play, I was impressed. That bassist kicks-ass. They had a really cool, funky, kind of sound. Granted, it is not exactly something I'd go out of my way to see, but still pretty cool. I ended up buying an album off them just because I thought they were so cool just to even hang out with. Hell, at the very least, this will be a good one to play at Halloween parties.

Now, In The Moment was friggan kicked ass! No two ways about it - that was just friggan awesome! I wanted to get a copy of their record, but they packed up their shit already before the show was over. Still, that was some serious head-banging shit going on there.

Within Temptation put on an absolutely stunning performance. Very beautifully done, not only that, but I got to hang out with the guitarist (as well as share a drink with) and bassist - both really cool guys. I am bummed they had no records as I really wanted a copy. I was told because they have one coming out in July, the record company would not let them sell any. Might as well wait and order the new one when it comes out. I would love to hear these guys on my home system. If the recording is good, I bet it would be just stunning.

And of course, Lacuna Coil! What more can I say that has not already been said here. Needless to say, they kicked some serious ass tonight at Jaxx. These guys played to a friggan packed house! Wow, what a powerful and awesome show that was.

Of course, I did managed to get some pictures. I'll need to dump them off my camera, which I'll do later.

Just got back from the Jaxx show!

Holy shit was that a friggan awesome night of metal!

I'll have to admit, I was skeptical of Stolen Babies, but after hearing and seeing them play, I was impressed. That bassist kicks-ass. They had a really cool, funky, kind of sound. Granted, it is not exactly something I'd go out of my way to see, but still pretty cool. I ended up buying an album off them just because I thought they were so cool just to even hang out with. Hell, at the very least, this will be a good one to play at Halloween parties.
I had been looking forward to Stolen Babies, but wasn't as familiar with their stuff. DemonOfTheWoods has been playing them a lot and I love the album, but hadn't had a chance to commit anything to memory. Still, IMO they put an awesome exciting set. They certainly were the oddball on the bill (lead female singer who also growls and plays accordion), but I thought they were awesome. I bought a long sleeve-t and spoke with the guys in the band a little bit, who gave me a button. My one friend, on the other hand, was mainly there that night for Stolen Babies and spent half the night talking to them. She said that they were all really friendly and I even got her picture with their keyboard player.

Now, In The Moment was friggan kicked ass! No two ways about it - that was just friggan awesome! I wanted to get a copy of their record, but they packed up their shit already before the show was over. Still, that was some serious head-banging shit going on there.
This was the band that I was totally looking forward to. I know everyone else on here (besides you and I it seems) has been bashing the hell out of this band, but I enjoyed them more than anyone else that night. Don't misunderstand, I enjoyed every band on the bill, but this was the one I went ape shit for. And it seemed like a good majority of the crowd enjoyed them too. :headbang: There was one guy who was standing next to me during their set (maybe it was you haha) who was totally into them. I bought a tank top and got a free poster with it. I was so happy I got Maria to sign my Beautiful Tragedy album cover at the merch booth and then got the bass player's (can't remember his name just now) autograph after the show. :D I only wish I would have been so shy about finding and asking the other guys to sign my stuff.

Within Temptation put on an absolutely stunning performance. Very beautifully done, not only that, but I got to hang out with the guitarist (as well as share a drink with) and bassist - both really cool guys. I am bummed they had no records as I really wanted a copy. I was told because they have one coming out in July, the record company would not let them sell any. Might as well wait and order the new one when it comes out. I would love to hear these guys on my home system. If the recording is good, I bet it would be just stunning.
Another band that I had heard a lot by and loved, but haven't completely committed to memory .. or bought an album. That is going to change after last night. I did buy a girlie shirt though, also came with free poster, which I got signed by Sharon Van Adel and the drummer - who I found out played drums on and produced AF's Decipher. :D I'll be picking up the new WT album when it's out and I'm going to start looking for some of the previous stuff.

And of course, Lacuna Coil! What more can I say that has not already been said here. Needless to say, they kicked some serious ass tonight at Jaxx. These guys played to a friggan packed house! Wow, what a powerful and awesome show that was.
I was very excited about seeing Lacuna Coil again, especially in a more intimate setting than I have seen them before (Ozzfest :ill: :yuk: :puke: ). I watched most of the set, got some great pics, but wanted to meet some of the other bands that I thought might have a longer interval (hopefully not) before their next tour or show near Baltimore/DC/VA. But I could still hear everything from Lacuna Coils set and thought they played a good mixture of both new and older stuff.

Strange side note - maybe I'm getting old or something but - I though the sound in the front hallway of Jaxx sounded better at times than the sound inside the venue where the stage was. There was a some feedback during In This Moments set and then during Lacuna Coil it just sounded weird to me at times like the music was not coming through the amps or speakers clearly. (Sorry, I don't know music equipment that well so it's kinda hard to explain.) The mic also came unplugged a couple times while Sharon Van Adel was singing.

All in all, however, it was a great show! :headbang: :headbang:

Of course, I did managed to get some pictures. I'll need to dump them off my camera, which I'll do later.

Pictures posted to my myspaz - here :D (I hope this link works - let me know if it doesn't - plus myspaz is having "Unknown Errors" when it comes to uploading some of my photos. :rolleyes: Don't know wtf is up with that, but if I can figure out, I'll eventually post the other pics myspaz is rejecting.)

(Maybe I'll post them on photobucket or something else later for those that don't have myspaz, but this weekend is jammed packed with stuff to do, so maybe not.)

wowwww
within temptation was pretty amazing in NYC the other night.
and she's definitely amazing looking in person, much better than that photo which was posted above

Didn't know you were there :p
The show was great, they are a very good band live. Sharon did a great job!!!!
And she is very nice!!! :)