LAMB OF GOD....

Well... I do agree that some of the bands you cited are pretty weak and very generic. However I think Trivium brings more metal than core in their music. Maybe my ears are a little weird, I just can't find them generic, especially in songs such as Ascension, Like Light to Flies or whatever. I think Trivium gets lots of shit from people that don't even know their music to opiniate.... However, to each their own! =)

The term Heavy Metal was coined by William S. Burroughs, and Steppenwolf used the term in "Born to be Wild."

--
Trivium gets a lot of shit... even though they bring a lot of Pantera into their music.

Avenged Sevenfold gets a lot of shit, even though they bring a lot of Iron Maiden, and old school Thrash to their music. Sorry but Avenged Sevenfold has some really sweet guitar licks. Just because their older music... has some 'core' elements, they are looked down upon by metalheads. That... and they've received some air time. How dare a modern metal group get air time.

Mosquito said:
Using the "I wonder if you could write better songs anyway." argument is stupid stupid stupid.

I think if you judge a band and say they SUCK rather than saying I DONT LIKE THEM, you better prove me they REALLY suck or you better do something better to show how bad they suck.

Cheiron said:
The term Heavy Metal was coined by William S. Burroughs, and Steppenwolf used the term in "Born to be Wild."

--
Trivium gets a lot of shit... even though they bring a lot of Pantera into their music.

Avenged Sevenfold gets a lot of shit, even though they bring a lot of Iron Maiden, and old school Thrash to their music. Sorry but Avenged Sevenfold has some really sweet guitar licks. Just because their older music... has some 'core' elements, they are looked down upon by metalheads. That... and they've received some air time. How dare a modern metal group get air time.

I agree! What kills is the stupid old school "true metalhead" mentality thing!

Cheiron said:

And back to where this was side thing was starting from...Pantera is still overrated and not really that good at all. They can play their instruments and all but the songs just blow. So using that as a reason to listen to Trivium again or something wouldn't do jack for me. ;)

I have a bad taste for Trivium for two main reasons:

1) MusicChoice on DirectTV has a "Metal" channel that plays metal music 24/7. For a week straight, they played nothing but tunes from Trivium's Ascendency CD. It got old and boring very quickly.

2) Trivium touring with Amon Amarth and Children of Bodom was a travesty. Trivium should headline an American metalcore tour, not be the direct support for a Euro-metal show, with Amon Amarth opening for THEM. It was a mistake, in my opinion, to let this happen. I begrudgingly sat out Trivium's set in protest, for fear that I'd boo them, and make them feel bad for being so generic.

Palabra de Dios said:

1) MusicChoice on DirectTV has a "Metal" channel that plays metal music 24/7. For a week straight, they played nothing but tunes from Trivium's Ascendency CD. It got old and boring very quickly.

2) Trivium touring with Amon Amarth and Children of Bodom was a travesty. Trivium should headline an American metalcore tour, not be the direct support for a Euro-metal show, with Amon Amarth opening for THEM. It was a mistake, in my opinion, to let this happen. I begrudgingly sat out Trivium's set in protest, for fear that I'd boo them, and make them feel bad for being so generic.

I agree that listening to a band way too many times in a rather small time period makes the band get boring eventually.

On the 2nd reason, I do understand what you're saying. However, unfortunately talent or "true metalness" doesn't really mean a thing in tours nowadays in the USA. Just think of Soilwork a few years ago. They are a much better band than Chimaira, much more metal and more European. They were forced to open for Chimaira on the In Flames tour. Does it make them worse than Chimaira? Not at all!

I'm trying to think of other tours that the same thing happened. Symphony X basically opened the show at Gigantour and so many crappy hardcore bands after them. Did I hate seeing that? Absolutely! But the fact the bands can draw more of a crowd and therefore, more money to the tour, makes them "more important" I guess.

AngraRULES said:
I think if you judge a band and say they SUCK rather than saying I DONT LIKE THEM, you better prove me they REALLY suck or you better do something better to show how bad they suck.

I guess it depends on your idea of "suck". When I say suck, I mean I don't like them and would be content to never hear them again. To me the music is shit, therefore it sucks. For you, there is a difference between saying something sucks and saying "i dont like it". So to clarify, for you, I don't like Trivium. I can't comment on their playing, I can't even comment on anyone's playing really, I can only say if I enjoy them or not.

However, it is all going to come to the listener. You can say a band like Death Cab for Cutie sucks, wouldn't you (if not, choose a band you don't like)? There's quite a few people who would disagree with you on that. You can say they suck because they're not technical or they're sloppy players, but if the music is good for people then that's not an issue to them. So it's no different from me saying BAND_X sucks and my reasoning is that I don't like them. Your ideas of the two words/phrases are causing you to have misconceptions of what I mean by "suck".

In closing, Trivium sucks. I don't like them and you can't change my mind about that.

Palabra de Dios said:

From what I recall, Trivium was opening for Amon Amarth, and Amon Amarth was quoted as saying that they think that they should be opening for Trivium (due to Triviums greater popularity). [[I could be wrong on this... if so I apologize ahead of time]]

I saw Trivium when they played with In Flames, and they put on a good metal show. To each their own.

Mosquito said:
I guess it depends on your idea of "suck". When I say suck, I mean I don't like them and would be content to never hear them again. To me the music is shit, therefore it sucks. For you, there is a difference between saying something sucks and saying "i dont like it". So to clarify, for you, I don't like Trivium. I can't comment on their playing, I can't even comment on anyone's playing really, I can only say if I enjoy them or not.

I think you gotta be able to recognize talent. To me if you say someone suck is because they're bad at what they do and not necessarily that you don't like him. I now understand what you meant.

Mosquito said:
However, it is all going to come to the listener. You can say a band like Death Cab for Cutie sucks, wouldn't you (if not, choose a band you don't like)? There's quite a few people who would disagree with you on that. You can say they suck because they're not technical or they're sloppy players, but if the music is good for people then that's not an issue to them.

Dude, I like bands such as Disturbed to give you an example. Or even Smash Mouth. They're not technical at all, if you know the bands. Trust me, I wouldn't care.

Mosquito said:
So it's no different from me saying BAND_X sucks and my reasoning is that I don't like them. Your ideas of the two words/phrases are causing you to have misconceptions of what I mean by "suck".

Maybe you're right. Like I said I now understand your point.

Mosquito said:
In closing, Trivium sucks. I don't like them and you can't change my mind about that.

They don't suck. And trust me, I wasn't trying to change your mind.

Mosquito said:
What would prove to you that a band sucks then?...You asked me to back up my claim that Trivium sucks, but I don't know what kind of evidence you want me to give you.

I already said I understood what you said. I am not looking for any further evidence.

If according to you they suck because you don't like it, fine. I get it now, for the 5th time.

Can we talk about a band that we both like, rather than keep going with this?

Mosquito said:
Marduk? :p...I'm just picking bands that are totally not in the Prog or Power realm. :p

Yes Brainstorm is good, didn't really get into the last album though.

Out of Prog/Power realm...

EMPEROR! lol