Languages

Those who learned English as a secondary language tend to use much better English than those who learned it as a primary language. Why do people continue to butcher their native tongue? So many good things are ruined in this same way.

greek (of course),english
+ german and swedish...... trying at least ;)

but i wanna learn some more in the future......norwegian,dutch and icelandic.... hope my life will be long....... hehe

Understand and make myself understood

Swedish
Finnish
English
German
Danish
Norwegian

A little bit of

Latin
Japanese
Dutch/flemish/afrikaans

Swedish, Finnish and English are the only languages I use frequently.

I can speak Italian (obviously), English, Latin (what use of Latin?).
I can read French, Spanish, a bit of German.
I started to study Russian and Japanese, but I have no time, now.
...and some Swedish words, of course!:)

As is typical for a majority of Americans...English. With the customary 3 years of foreign language study (French, in my case) in high school. Some Spanish from growing up in Los Angeles. I've tried teaching myself Latin (just for the hell of it) but it's extremely difficult.

Originally posted by BurzumBeast
Those who learned English as a secondary language tend to use much better English than those who learned it as a primary language. Why do people continue to butcher their native tongue? So many good things are ruined in this same way.

I think it's mostly because people who study English as a second language don't learn all of the slang and poor grammar that a lot of native speakers inherently use.

English, as a first language..
French as a second, and I WAS fluent, I've forgotten some, but it comes back when I need it.

Took 2 years of German and that was enough to get a Norwegian guy off IRC when he stole someone's nickname.. I don't know how I did it, but I suppose Norwegian is close enough to German.. am I wrong?

I speak VERY little Latin, write more than speak..

and based on that, I can infer the occasional Spanish, Italain, Portugese, and.. Basque, I suppose.

I know a handful of conversational Cantonese and Japanese, mostly from a Chinese friend and a lot of anime.

Compared to the Europeans here, I know nothing, I'll say that much ;)

French as i'm a french living in France :)
And English as i learned it a long time ago.
I used to know some Latin (I learned it during 2 years, but nothing is left lol)

English and German fluently.....i am about 85% swedish and am dying to learn the language.....im taking courses currently and it's a really awesome language!!!!.....anyone who can speak japanese (any of it)....is it really difficult??

johan....your poems are breath-taking.... i read them all.....do you have anymore????

English and German fluently.....being 85% swedish, i am dying to learn the language and am currently studying.....anyone who can speak japanese....is it really difficult???

to johan: your poems are breath-taking... i read them all....do you have anymore....if so please post them or email them to me!!!

Gwen: If you read all on my site that's pretty much it.
Thanks for taking an interest, and for your kind workds! :)

my first language is english...i'm half taiwanese/half chinese, so i can understand it but unfortunately i can't really speak it that well. i can also speak a bit of spanish -- i went to spain for a month right after the spring semester ended for a study abroad program. what i took was only the equivalence of a 4th-level high school class but i can actually speak spanish better than i can speak chinese now! that's pretty sad heheh...

anyway, i got a question for you guys: how do you go about learning languages? classes, books, people...? one of my goals is to become fluent in a bunch of different languages :)

kevin

kevin, mate
you should get back to your roots (Though I'm not one to talk, carrying a Dutch passport and only being able to swear like a sailor) If your ear can pick up the tones of Taiwanese, you're just a step away from speaking..maybe try mandarin first, taiwanese is BLOODY difficult. At least it is grammatically similar to English.

For those interested in learning Japanese, having a background in Chinese definitely helps with the reading and writing side of things. Pronunciation wise, Japanese can't be beat; five basic vowel sounds, and similar consonant sounds to Itallian means that native english speakers' biggest obstacle will be the grammar.

Originally posted by luke
For those interested in learning Japanese

_o/ Here! :)
I already bought a starter book and a dictionary a while back, but haven't still gotten around to sitting down and starting.

Pronunciation wise, Japanese can't be beat; five basic vowel sounds, and similar consonant sounds to Itallian means that native english speakers' biggest obstacle will be the grammar.

Yeah, us Finns have a real easy time learning the pronounciation: there isn't much difference at all. Only the "R", mostly. In the Go club I used to attend there were a few dans (one of whom works for TeamWare and frequently does business trips to Japan and of course speaks Japanese) and they told some Japanese teacher in the University had jokingly said at the beginning of the first class "You Finns can skip this course, this pronounciation stuff was invented just to piss the English-speaking off. :p"

My non-existant deity, man! How many languages do you need to know?

Finnish, Swedish, and English wasn't enough for ya, you're going to learn Japanese, too? I tried to learn French for years and hated it - still a monolingual anglophone. Why, you smug multilingual bastard... :)

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
My non-existant deity, man! How many languages do you need to know?

Weeeelll.. :)
At the moment the (well, almost) only reasonable and useful thing I could think of studying is languages, and since I like to think I have a decent head for languages, why not. :p

Spanish and German would be nice too.
(Ich habe Deutsch für drei Jahr in Schule studieren, aber habe viel vergessen..)