Multilingualism

Hatebreeder

Pizzicato Heartstrings
I've been researching a lot of the Germanic languages recently (German, Swedish, Norwegian, etc.) and I was wondering how many of here can speak multiple languages. Also, if any of you have any good sites I can use to further my journey to master these languages, feel free to post links.

Dutch is my native language and I am fairly fluent in English. I can understand a decent amount of German (based on the fact that it has some similarities to Dutch and my 3 years or so of highschool German) and understand and speak some French (though I haven't needed it in ages so I'm probably rubbish at it by now).

I took four years of German in high school, but the class moved too slow for me, and I lost interest after about a year and a half, so I just started cramming before the tests and never really learning it that well, despite never getting less than an A+. Haven't pursued it any further since, although I still remember a fair amount of the vocab.

I studied spanish for 3 years, and I was pretty good at it...but that was a few years ago in high school. I can still speak it a little.

I'm also attempting to learn Gaelic. whee fun times

Well, although not a verbal language, I do know American Sign Language.

The deaf are so loud sometimes :erk:

The best way to learn a language is to use it a lot, preferably all the fucking time, so move to Germany where noone can speak english and you'll be forced to.

The best way to learn a language is to use it a lot, preferably all the fucking time, so move to Germany where noone can speak english and you'll be forced to.
I know what you mean. But most people in Germany can speak some English. I found that I could always get around with English whenever I went to a country where I didn't know the language.

I know what you mean. But most people in Germany can speak some English. I found that I could always get around with English whenever I went to a country where I didn't know the language.

While Germans aren't as bad as the French, they do seem to generally have an attitude of "I speak German, so you speak German." I live near the Dutch coast and we get overrun by German tourists every summer here to the point where walking through the city center makes it feel like you're in Germany. And they refuse to address you in any language other than their own (when someone asks me for directions I usually switch to English right away because I am fairly fluent in English and my German grammar and vocabulary is quite poor, but that only seems to work about half the time). They simply just assume that everyone here speaks German. You didn't win the war you fucking fat fucks! But to be fair, yes, Germans do atleast have some portion of the population that has some decent knowledge of the English language.

The French on the other hand, they are just too arrogant and nationalistic to even bother. I've gone on vacation to France atleast 15 times and rarely have we found campsites where the person behind the front desk spoke anything but French. And they don't even have the decency to slow the fuck down when they talk to you despite the fact that you are obviously a foreigner and looking very confused.

And in the more rural areas of Spain and Italy you can also pretty much forget to get by with English (though I'm guessing that has more to do with lack of education).

And in the more rural areas of Spain and Italy you can also pretty much forget to get by with English (though I'm guessing that has more to do with lack of education).

That happens in the rural areas of spain and in the not so rural areas too. I'm from Barcelona and I only know a couple of people that speak understandable english. It's weird because we have tons of tourists here all year round, but everyone just refuses to learn.

My native tongue is Russian. I'm fluent in English and Hebrew, can read Arabic not without effort, though, and know a couple of words in Ukranian.

While Germans aren't as bad as the French, they do seem to generally have an attitude of "I speak German, so you speak German." I live near the Dutch coast and we get overrun by German tourists every summer here to the point where walking through the city center makes it feel like you're in Germany. And they refuse to address you in any language other than their own (when someone asks me for directions I usually switch to English right away because I am fairly fluent in English and my German grammar and vocabulary is quite poor, but that only seems to work about half the time). They simply just assume that everyone here speaks German. You didn't win the war you fucking fat fucks! But to be fair, yes, Germans do atleast have some portion of the population that has some decent knowledge of the English language.

The French on the other hand, they are just too arrogant and nationalistic to even bother. I've gone on vacation to France atleast 15 times and rarely have we found campsites where the person behind the front desk spoke anything but French. And they don't even have the decency to slow the fuck down when they talk to you despite the fact that you are obviously a foreigner and looking very confused.

I have family in Germany, and have been there many many times, and basically everyone I know in Germany (and that's A LOT of people) speaks at least a little bit of English. I've been to Italy, France, and Morocco, in terms of non-English-speaking countries, and have gotten by just fine. Though I was in France such a long time ago, as a little kid, that I don't know how much attitude they gave my parents. I am fluent in German, and when I look at written Dutch, I can almost understand it, since it seems to be very similar to German (well, at least more similar to German than the Scandanavian languages, which are also Germanic). I've heard before that French speaking people (both in France and French Canada) often refuse to speak any other language, but I've never experienced it firsthand.

I know enough of conversational Spanish to sometimes carry on an OK conversation. And I could go to Spain and not look like a total n00b, I guess.

I also took Latin for 3 years, but it was kind of a waste, I think.

First language is French, but I'm not too bad in english. Which gives me a 800$ yearly bonus at my job for being bilingual.

As for the french refusing to speak other language I can say that I've never really seen that in Canada. Of course if they're unable to speak other language it's quite obvious that they won't switch but I've seen many being awful but still trying. And at my job I've seen meetings in english just because 1 of the 30 participants was English. If that's not trying to accomodate others I don't know what is.