Multilingualism

While Germans aren't as bad as the French, they do seem to generally have an attitude of "I speak German, so you speak German." I live near the Dutch coast and we get overrun by German tourists every summer here to the point where walking through the city center makes it feel like you're in Germany. And they refuse to address you in any language other than their own (when someone asks me for directions I usually switch to English right away because I am fairly fluent in English and my German grammar and vocabulary is quite poor, but that only seems to work about half the time). They simply just assume that everyone here speaks German. You didn't win the war you fucking fat fucks! But to be fair, yes, Germans do atleast have some portion of the population that has some decent knowledge of the English language.

The French on the other hand, they are just too arrogant and nationalistic to even bother. I've gone on vacation to France atleast 15 times and rarely have we found campsites where the person behind the front desk spoke anything but French. And they don't even have the decency to slow the fuck down when they talk to you despite the fact that you are obviously a foreigner and looking very confused.

And in the more rural areas of Spain and Italy you can also pretty much forget to get by with English (though I'm guessing that has more to do with lack of education).

German tourists are a very special kind of species :lol:. I don´t have your experience, though. The germans I´ve met, in Germany, have been more than willing to speak english, knowing nothing about my knowledge in the german language (which I really had once :cry: )

ich spreche duetch. aber, ich schlaft in mein duetch klasse...

im also learning dutch, though im not exactly motivated at the moment.
~gR~

You'd think my school would have a German/Dutch language class due to the fact that the demographic is about 85% Dutch, but they fucking canceled it back in the 70's. I've got a firm grounding in Spanish, but I can understand much more than I can speak it. I've always been sort of inadequate when it came to linguistics.

I am learning Romanian, it is a Romantic language (not in the context of love, in the context of the roman empire), so it is easy enough so far given I speak a reasonable amount of Italian. I am learning Romanian from my girlfriend which I believe is the best way to do it. Find someone that speaks the language and talk to them (with a translator if you need to), you tend to pick up words and eventually sentances etc.

When I learnt italian it was with a tutor (through the school system) who taught me the grammar differences between Italitan and English, getting a grasp of that I believe is essential.

You'd think my school would have a German/Dutch language class due to the fact that the demographic is about 85% Dutch, but they fucking canceled it back in the 70's. I've got a firm grounding in Spanish, but I can understand much more than I can speak it. I've always been sort of inadequate when it came to linguistics.

that sucks. my mom went to school in minnesota and took norwegian. makes sense since there are alot of norwegians there.

at my high school we had japanese, since there are alot of japanese in california.

it seems schools only teach the big ones. spanish, french, and german
~gR~

Last night, my sister had one of her friends over, and she called her mom and was talking to her in spainish. I threw a bottle at her and told her not to pollute my home with her devil-language.

First language english, second is french, I'm from Canada so it's not a big surprise those are the 2 I know.

First language is French, but I'm not too bad in english. Which gives me a 800$ yearly bonus at my job for being bilingual.

As for the french refusing to speak other language I can say that I've never really seen that in Canada. Of course if they're unable to speak other language it's quite obvious that they won't switch but I've seen many being awful but still trying. And at my job I've seen meetings in english just because 1 of the 30 participants was English. If that's not trying to accomodate others I don't know what is.

I wish my school had Latin, being the prime root of such languages as Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, etc.

Sigh Language honestly sucks, the deaf get all pissed off if you can't move your fingers as fast as they can (like you are a slow talker). And they're so damned prideful, like being able to hear is a fucking burden (not all are like that, but fuck...some of the people I have met...)

I forgot all the Swedish and Norwegian I knew, I remember a little bit of Finnish, and I can't speak Italian very well anymore either...which sucks because in my "formal singing education" it was the language they started me out on :erk: