Last CD you bought

Yesterday I got these beauties:

Rhapsody of Fire: Triumph or Agony (ltd. German slipcased digi-pack)(I love this band, it's so sad that they're on hold. Damn Magic Circle Music!)

Great Epic-power Metal, much better than SEL II.

Therion: The Beauty in Black (EP)

I thought it was going to be of the Black/Death stage, but it has the symphonic choruses and everything so I guess it's probably the first EP in which they used that.

Borknagar: The Olden Domain (picture LP! Very nice :D)

Great Black Metal, better than most bands out there. If you're reading this, you know what I mean.

Rhapsody is currently in a lawsuit, someone is trying to sue them to death. When thats over they will be back with full force.

Svarthjärtad;8246224 said:
I just got around to buying the latest/new Helloween album, "Gambling with the Devil".
After all is said an done, this is easily their best record. I don't really like much of what Kiske did with them, I strongly prefer Andi Deris era. It is a darker album, still a lot of melody and (I think) the very definition of Power Metal. Still one of the true power metal bands staying true to the real sound, nothing like Dragonforce, Dragonland, etc... that is not real power metal or even fake power metal, it just horrible to me.
I strongly suggest to buy it if a fan!

Yes, GD is awesome!!! I love it so much, I'm such an idiot for not gaving that album! It's easily Helloween's best since The Dark Ride IMO, and perhaps even better than the latter. In overall, probably the 3rd or 4th best album :headbang: .

Ah well Dragonforce is undoubtedly dreadful, but Dragonland is far from "normal" Power; have you heard the new ones? Try Starfall and Astronomy, they're really excellent albums, pretty much Power-prog.

Rhapsody is currently in a lawsuit, someone is trying to sue them to death. When thats over they will be back with full force.

Yeah I know, against Joe DeMaio if I'm not mistaken. As I told a guy in a bar in Bergen who was wearing a Manowar shirt: "Moving to Magic Circle Music was Rhapsody's worst decision ever". And he agreed :rolleyes: . Lets hope everything works out well, I really like Rhapsody to be honest :kickass: .

IT'S BLOODY HERE:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/josephy/3514729108/

After a few listens I've come to the conclusion that it's a very good album, not perfect yet better than Home. Kind of in the Indie vein, so right now The Gathering is like Alternative/Indie Rock :p . Anyhow, if you don't think "Arghhhhh Norsk Metal über alles" then you can give this one a try. It'll require at least 3 listens till it completely sinks in IMO.

I love it! :kickass: :headbang: :danceboy:

IT'S BLOODY HERE:

After a few listens I've come to the conclusion that it's a very good album, not perfect yet better than Home. Kind of in the Indie vein, so right now The Gathering is like Alternative/Indie Rock :p . Anyhow, if you don't think "Arghhhhh Norsk Metal über alles" then you can give this one a try. It'll require at least 3 listens till it completely sinks in IMO.

I love it! :kickass: :headbang: :danceboy:

I can figure the LP, Digi CD and shirt out, but what's the rest of the stuff?

I can figure the LP, Digi CD and shirt out, but what's the rest of the stuff?

Well Kermit didn't really come with the package ;).

The black sleeve near the logo is the EP "City from Above" ltd. to 2000 copies. Then there's a compass below the digi, just so you don't "loose your west" :p . And finally the thing that looks like a sticker is exactly that; there was a misprint in the LP so people are supposed to paste that on top of the misprinted area. I won't do that anyhow :rolleyes: .

IT'S BLOODY HERE:

I heard it and it's pretty good, I would say it's the best since How to Measure...?. Anneke has never been a great singer IMO (plus, I Hated her happy dancing stage presence) and Silje did a pretty good job (She's the same who sang on Arcturus's Sideshow Symphonies, right? on SS she was better or at least, she put a lot more of emotion there).

Finally I have (AGAIN ¬¬) Enslaved's Blodhemn. This is a fucking real black/viking metal album, my favourite from them and one of my favourite viking albums of all time. Eit Auga Til Mimir alone is better than the most of viking/folk releases on the last 10 years. I can't understand why Enslaved don't play Blodhemn songs live.

I heard it and it's pretty good, I would say it's the best since How to Measure...?. Anneke has never been a great singer IMO (plus, I Hated her happy dancing stage presence) and Silje did a pretty good job (She's the same who sang on Arcturus's Sideshow Symphonies, right? on SS she was better or at least, she put a lot more of emotion there).

Oh yes it's very good, it's better than Home and Souvenirs and maybe if_Then_Else. As you say, it's their best since the masterpiece called HTMAP?. I've always like Anneke a lot, but Silje really did a great job. Expect a review soon on www.metalicos.com ;) .

Oh yes it's very good, it's better than Home and Souvenirs and maybe if_Then_Else. As you say, it's their best since the masterpiece called HTMAP?. I've always like Anneke a lot, but Silje really did a great job. Expect a review soon on www.metalicos.com ;) .

I read a Solefald review there for Black for Death, which I'm totally disagree with it (Lol). Maybe I'll review it too, even not being a TG fan at all.

I have on my hands My Dying Bride's For Lies I Sire and I heard it 6 times already.

I'll make an extense review for it later, but overall is barely decent, with some fatal flows. The production is not good for doom/death music, being the guitars too low and the drums and vocals too high. The guitars are too nice,lacking of any agression at all. Aaron's clean vocals are a hit or miss, sometimes he sounds tortured, sometimes awful. 90-95% with clean vocals? obviously this guy doesn't feel the same than on the beginnings, when he used the growling to express the climax of his despair on the songs. The lyrics are the worst he has written, not being pathetic or really bad, but they lack the true passion he was known for on another time. The violin is back and that's a good point, but sometimes it fails to give the fatal depressive blow, not for being played bad, just lacks heart.

The songwriting is not great as before and the main problem of the entire band is the lack of sentiment behind each instrument. The last great MDB album as a whole concept for me was The Dreadful Hours, there you can still find passionate enough doom/death (the keyboards on that album are the best of any MDB release IMO). Songs Of Darkness...has excellent moments but it lacks a little of consistency.

The songs are short but seems to be longer. When you play slow, you must do it with all your heart or the music becomes boring. Here happens that sadly.

Still there's beautiful passages, like the traditional melodic duet of guitars with a lead violin melody, bringing some memories from TLTS - Like Gods' times but it's not too often. Also there's a song which is fast and 'brutal', A Chapter in Loathing. This song starts fast death metal paced and the verse is a slow black metal piece, with a Burzum-wise riffage and Aaron singing on a similar way to 'The Prize Of Beauty', just that he's losing his ability on those vocals but still a nice surprise for the album and a needed change of pace.

My score = 45/100.

Agreed, like all Solefald albums, they really need time to sink in completely, and when they do, it turns out to be a masterpiece. At least for me :)

received today:
Massive Attack - Collected (limited edition)

Agreed, like all Solefald albums, they really need time to sink in completely, and when they do, it turns out to be a masterpiece. At least for me :)

Actually, the whole Icelandic Odyssey is my fav work from Solefald.

What I like from bands like Solefald, Vintersorg, Borknagar, Arcturus and such is that the experience grows a lot while I listen more to the albums and never gets old. Each time I hear one of their album I find new details, sounds on each song. It's like a scenery where the more I look, the more I fall with it.

(I'm listening ÖS right now, watching the mist covering the forest besides my house and entering through my room's window...a really proper landscape to hear it :p)

I am a little behind with everything......and I think I haven't bought that "many" albums in a whole year or so.

Ihsahn - angL
Kreator - Hordes of Chaos
Obscura - Cosmogenesis (the title sounds borrowed from V, hehe)
and
Amorphis - Silent Waters .....which is spinning right now. Why haven't I picked this up earlier?? Seems like a great album. I have been into Amorphis back in the Elegy/Tuonela-days, then my interest somewhat ebbed away. But this sounds awesome :)

Amorphis - Silent Waters .....which is spinning right now. Why haven't I picked this up earlier?? Seems like a great album. I have been into Amorphis back in the Elegy/Tuonela-days, then my interest somewhat ebbed away. But this sounds awesome :)

Oh yes Silent Waters is great, even better than Eclipse!

And there's a new one coming out on May 29th, Skyforger! (What a great birthday present for me hehe :) .) This'll be a certain purchase :kickass: .

189d3a0bff2a5fae5d6426a76cf78552.0.skyforger_kansi.jpg.atch

From 20th (today) to 27th May we can listen to the whole album (retail version without Godlike Machine) on Amorphis' myspace :)

I prefer Eclipse, though Silent Waters is still good enough

Yes the entire album is being streamed! :D

I prefer… well both of them har har. But I definitely prefer the new albums compared to the old ones. I know some are Doom classics, but the new ones are much better IMO :kickass: .