Last CD you bought

Recently bought:

My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire (Digi with guitar pick)
Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
Alestorm - Black Sails at Midnight (Digi with dvd and poster)

Also, these are ordered/preordered:
Negura Bunget - Sala Molksa
Negura Bunget - 'N Crugu Bradului
Negura Bunget - Om
Drudkh - Microcosmos wooden box
Be'Lakor - The Frail Tide

My wallet can be heard crying from miles away.

Die Apokalyptischen Reiter: Tobsucht (ltd. German digi-book, 2 audio discs and one DVD).

Excellent German band, what can I say? Reitermania!!!!! :hotjump:

And I decided to keep…

Heaven and Hell: Live at Radio City Musica Hall (ltd. German digi-book, comes with concert pass, photos and poster!). I wrote "decided to keep" because I've been trying to sell it for more than a year (I bought it thinking it was the huge Rhino box, which I eventually bought anyhow), but got fed up and kept it. The poster is very nice, and it doesn't come with the Rhino box ironically enough :p .

Týr - By The Light Of The Northern Star (progressive metal with folk influences and often a viking theme)
Digipack edition with two bonus tracks

Amon Amarth - The Avenger (stockholm death metal, with a viking theme)
Re-released digipack version with live CD and my girls live photos in the booklet :headbang:

Týr - By The Light Of The Northern Star (progressive metal with folk influences and often a viking theme)
Digipack edition with two bonus tracks

I've never really followed Týr (I've become quite apathetic about Viking Metal), but I was quite surprised that they already have a new album, since they released land less than a year (362 days :p) ago. Good for them I guess, is it good?

I got:

Argos: Ángles, Hombres y Demonios

Great Costa Rican Power metal. This is a great release, and a breath of fresh air to the CRn scene. Most of the bands here are crap Black-Death metal bands that hail Varg Vikernes as god :rolleyes: .

http://www.myspace.com/argosmetalcr

Edenbridge: Live Earth Dream

Great live CD, I've been quite into Power lately, and this band is great! Since I pre-ordered the CD it came signed, and with my name in the booklet! :kickass:

I've never really followed Týr (I've become quite apathetic about Viking Metal), but I was quite surprised that they already have a new album, since they released land less than a year (362 days :p) ago. Good for them I guess, is it good?

I've heard i a couple of times by now, and so far I'm psyched! Fast album for the most part, with a lot of weight put on vocal parts where they all sing together. More of the traditional stuff, and not so outspoken in the progressive parts as say Ragnarök. I'm loving it.

Apart from that I quite object to the term Viking Metal (hence I didn't use it in the description), as it seems you can put just any kind of music into it as long as you yell out vikings or asgaard at some point in the lyrics. Just my two cents...

I've heard i a couple of times by now, and so far I'm psyched! Fast album for the most part, with a lot of weight put on vocal parts where they all sing together. More of the traditional stuff, and not so outspoken in the progressive parts as say Ragnarök. I'm loving it.

Apart from that I quite object to the term Viking Metal (hence I didn't use it in the description), as it seems you can put just any kind of music into it as long as you yell out vikings or asgaard at some point in the lyrics. Just my two cents...

Yeah, I've heard it a few times too now, I think it might be their best work to date.

I'm glad you like it :), maybe I should give the band a try. As soon as I have some space in my computer…. And I disagree with the "viking metal" statement, I believe it's a genre of its own (within metal, of course).

Ordered Samael - Above.

Honestly, I forgot about them when they changed their style to electronica. A friend sent me a youtube link with new songs... I'm impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered Samael - Above.

Honestly, I forgot about them when they changed their style to electronica. A friend sent me a youtube link with new songs... I'm impressed.

I was quite mad with the (new) change of direction to be honest. I love the combination of metal+electronic stuff, as in Samael. But well, this new album is pretty much Black metal hehe. It's a great album to be honest, I'm just not used to it. It's also quite sad that they barely included any keyboards at all. As a review in metal-archives says:

"With age comes… aggression?" :p

I'm glad you like it :), maybe I should give the band a try. As soon as I have some space in my computer…. And I disagree with the "viking metal" statement, I believe it's a genre of its own (within metal, of course).

But can you honestly say that you can hear anything even remotely resembling Týr in say Amon Amarth or Enslaved? As far as I've heard they all go by the name Viking Metal...

Ordered Samael - Above.

I don't mind the electronica albums at all, but I love Ceremony Of Opposites as well, so I thought it would be cool to hear them going more towards that style again.
However, I'm sad to say the album was completely ruined for me by the EXTREMELY PISSPOOR production! I'm sure the music is actually good enough, you just can't hear it on the album as the sound is all shit!
I know I've taken stronger words in use than I usually do, but I was just extremely dissapointed when I heard this album...:cry:

I don't mind the electronica albums at all, but I love Ceremony Of Opposites as well, so I thought it would be cool to hear them going more towards that style again.
However, I'm sad to say the album was completely ruined for me by the EXTREMELY PISSPOOR production! I'm sure the music is actually good enough, you just can't hear it on the album as the sound is all shit!
I know I've taken stronger words in use than I usually do, but I was just extremely dissapointed when I heard this album...:cry:

I agree about the production. It's a bad one, but I'm kinda used to bad black metal sound, so I can hear everything well and believe me, this album is brilliant (In fact, it's not so bad, is muddy with the drums higher than the rest but sounds powerful)

2009 is full of surprises...

Payed a short visit at Sweden Rock Festival and picked up three CD's, real cheap.

Kari Rueslåtten - Pilot (the ex-vocalist of 3rd & The Mortal, don't know what to call it - pop?)

Lamented Souls - The Origins Of Misery (Vortex. Doom. You know this)

Haggard - Tales Of Ithiria (some kind of symphonic goth/doom/death/medieval metal stuff. Not really my cup of tea, but quite alright)

But can you honestly say that you can hear anything even remotely resembling Týr in say Amon Amarth or Enslaved? As far as I've heard they all go by the name Viking Metal...:

Do they? Amon Amarth are obviously a melodic death metal band (clueless people just keep calling them 'viking metal' because of the damn lyrics which is just plain stupid). Enslaved haven't been much of a viking metal band for years now. It is a legitimate genre to me, very diverse obviously. Still the whole 'viking-themed lyrics = viking metal' bullshit is everywhere though.:/ Annoying but hey.

Still the whole 'viking-themed lyrics = viking metal' bullshit is everywhere though.:/ Annoying but hey.

My point exactly. Sadly I think we start to see the same tendencies in folk metal. Nowadays it seems any old mediocre metal band can pick up a violin and all of a sudden they're a hip new folk-metal act, even though they wouldn't know traditional music if it bit them in the ass... (me = grumpy old man :lol:)

My point exactly. Sadly I think we start to see the same tendencies in folk metal. Nowadays it seems any old mediocre metal band can pick up a violin and all of a sudden they're a hip new folk-metal act, even though they wouldn't know traditional music if it bit them in the ass... (me = grumpy old man :lol:)

Yes, I remember when Folk was quite the unique thing. I believe it all went to hell when Eluveitie (or however you write that) appeared, with all that "we're TRUE folk metal, not like the rest". I guess the tendencies go by cycles, I wonder what'll be next? Avant-Garde? The Birthday Massacre? :p

Oh I forgot my recent acquisitions, a lot of lads/gals will be happy when reading this:

Dia Psalma: Gryningstid

Great Punk with a bit of metal (only a few times) with violin and stuff, totally recommended. Swedish Punk, need I say more? :) I really liked this album.

And also forgot to add…:

Dark Tranquillity: Yesterworlds (demo reissues)

Very nice reissues of the first demos, also some alternate versions of Punish My Heaven! Very nice!

Kari Rueslåtten - Pilot (the ex-vocalist of 3rd & The Mortal, don't know what to call it - pop?)

Wasn't she the vocalist in Storm too? I think she got pissed at Fenriz and Satyr because she wasn't informed that a lot of the vocals (other than the ones she did) would be of a very nationalistic nature.

I got Negura Bunget - "Om" and "'n crugu bradului" yesterday, they are some of the best albums I've ever heard. They play black metal with Romanian folk music mixed in.

Wasn't she the vocalist in Storm too? I think she got pissed at Fenriz and Satyr because she wasn't informed that a lot of the vocals (other than the ones she did) would be of a very nationalistic nature.

Yes, she was in Storm as well. I've heard too many rumours about her liking/disliking the lyrics/theme of Nordavind that I really don't know what to think anymore. Actually, I don't care anymore :p
She did great on the album anyway, as she did on 3rd & The Mortal's MCD "Sorrow" and their first album "Tears Laid In Earth" and her solo record "Spindelsinn" is also recommended.