Late 60s black metal

Katabasis

Sep 24, 2003
near Sydney, Australia
Visit site
I posted this in the prog thread, but I figured that most Opeth fans would find it quite interesting. Anyway:

"...I was also wondering if there are any Jacula fans in here? Not the greatest of bands, to be sure, but has anyone heard 'Triumphatus Sad' off 'In Cauda Semper Stat Venenum'? This has a black metal guitar sound almost FIFTEEN years before Bathory! (it was released in '69). I was blown away when I first heard it - the guitar tone/style sounds like nothing of the time, until Bathory, Celtic Frost, etc. The drums aren't blasting (of course) - they're very minimal - but the guitar?!? Wow. Makes the Sabbath debut seem a whole lot less heavy.

I recommend that anyone interested in proto-black metal check out at least that track - puts a whole new perspective on things. In fact, anyone interested in Opeth and progressive rock (ie: you guys) should check it out. The rest of the album (and subsequent albums [the main guy, Antonio Bartoccetti went on to form Antonius Rex amongst other projects]) didn't explore the sound further, at least to my knowledge. I only own the first (and only) two releases under the name of Jacula, but as I said, check out 'Triumphatus Sad'. I think you might still be able to download it on http://www.antoniusrex.com/auditorium.htm.

Most of their other stuff is very occult-influenced (the lyrics were written in conjunction with a medium), and very heavily organ-based. There's some spoken word material, in their native Italian, English, and Latin (some of it quite chilling when in the right mood), and some female vocals. Definitely an interesting band, if not a very good one."

aweful or awful?;) Actually they're antonyms. I assume by context you mean it's bad. Is the rest really different from this track?

Yeah, the rest is different, unfortunately. Apparently there were only 300 of the original vinyl printed, and most (all?) of them were given away, some as 'magical' gifts to monasteries, etc.

It seems these guys were defining 'kvlt' a long fucking time before Quorthon et al.

:)

Apparently, while under the name of 'Antonius Rex', Vertigo also turned them down for a record deal because one of their album covers was too evil. Not sure if it's true or not, but that's what I heard.

For those interested, there IS actually going to be a third Jacula album released in 2006 (I think) calle 'PV'. Antonio's sound nowadays is more ambient/fusion/modern metal/etc, but it's still quite good (from what I've heard). No idea if the new Jacula will sound anything like his other current projects though... *shrugs*

Katabasis said:
The drums aren't blasting (of course) - they're very minimal
Minimal is an understandment. The drums (or lack there of) are what really kill the song. The guitar tone is what is most impressive about this recording.

soundave said:
Check this out everyone. Very cool. I honestly cannot believe this was from '69...

Indeed, very interesting find Katabasis...they seem like a cool band, I'll look into their stuff

the guitar tone on that jacula release (that track specifically) is probably about as close to "black metal" as youd get in 1969, sure. however jacula were not the first band to use tone of this nature...nor were they the only ones to use it. but i will give them credit for putting their money where there mouth was at that time...for most of the occult related bands with "dark imagery" back then, although good...usually they were always fairly tame in their musical aproach...even for the standards of that era (i.e. black widow, coven, necromandus, etc). Often relying on the lyrics for the "shock" value and dark imagery.

NineFeetUnderground said:
the guitar tone on that jacula release (that track specifically) is probably about as close to "black metal" as youd get in 1969, sure. however jacula were not the first band to use tone of this nature...nor were they the only ones to use it. but i will give them credit for putting their money where there mouth was at that time...for most of the occult related bands with "dark imagery" back then, although good...usually they were always fairly tame in their musical aproach...even for the standards of that era (i.e. black widow, coven, necromandus, etc). Often relying on the lyrics for the "shock" value and dark imagery.

Okay NFU, I gotta know, who do you think was first?

NineFeetUnderground said:
however jacula were not the first band to use tone of this nature...nor were they the only ones to use it.

Yes, I'd love to know who used a tone of this nature before Jacula. And not only that, but who used the tone in THAT way. As I said, if someone played that to me on guitar and told me it was a proto-black metal riff (either from Bathory, Celtic Frost, or any other number of early BM bands), I'd buy it.

I've yet to hear ANY other band from that era play anything even resembling black metal. If you could direct me to some, however, it would be much appreciated.

upon just listening to that track...those guitar riffs were added to the percussion and organ/pianos the band originally used. Upon releasing this album fairly recently, they recorded those guitars into the mix. so youre not hearing bathory styled "riffs" from actual 1969 tapes. jacula used some electric guitar and acoustic guitar regularly on other material, but it wasnt much different than most of the "doomy" bands of that age. if that makes sense. but if you want stuff similar...check out some early lucifer's friend, and the demo material of necromandus.