latest DVD price?!?

oldmanschild

Doom Maker
Jun 27, 2002
www.oldmanschild.com
in every country i know, it´s illegal to sell dvd rips..
and why is it weird that a dvd costs more than a cd-r copy?
first of all, you get all the nice booklets and stuff in a dvd, second, quality is WAY over a dvd rip, third, dvd rip is only playable in your comp. dvd goes everywhere... (well... maybe not in your vhs-player but many places..)

i dont quite get your point.. dvd is more expensive than vcd, and you think it is weird?

no offence =)

//Hobo

Originally posted by oldmanschild
the latest anathema DVD A Vision Of A Dying Embrace is being saled in http://www.metalvideos.us/store/DVDRips.htm for the price $6.95 as a rip but in http://www.season-of-mist.com/alphavideo.asp?trie=A it is being selled with the price 24.50 €! why do these expensive stores fucking us? also Anathema Live in Istanbul Video is being selled http://www.metalvideos.us/store/VideoCD.htm here with the price $9.95 as a 2 VideoCD... hope all stores will be with these prices and stop fucking us...

Play.com has the DVD for £13.99 http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=101534 (roughly 21.77€) including shipping to everywhere

Amazon UK has it for £16.18 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005YXGH/qid=1025591602/202-9374865-1376635 (roughly 25€), no idea about the shipping costs though

there's no booklet. that DVD is a crappy product. i thought they would make it better than the VHS, like mixing vinny's guitar louder, etc, but nothing's been done. so if you already have it on VHS tape, just skip this DVD :mad:

Originally posted by mehdi.i.e.e.e
there's no booklet. that DVD is a crappy product. i thought they would make it better than the VHS, like mixing vinny's guitar louder, etc, but nothing's been done. so if you already have it on VHS tape, just skip this DVD :mad:

DVD release doesn't automatically mean state of the art audio/picture quality as it all depends on the masters and how the transfer is done. Depending on the master tapes there might not be possibility to re-master the audio tracks. It is true that the My Dyimg Bride is much better in all aspects compared to the Anathema one but overall I am quite satisfied with the DVD. At least it is now widely available and it doesn't wear oout like VHS tapes do. Easier to access individual tracks etc

I only have the VHS, but as long as I remember, on the last tracks especially a Dying Wish, one of Danny's guitar stings is detuned pretty bad. :( And it will be on the DVD too. :)

There is a good interview with My Dying Bride on latest issue of Chronicles of Chaos #58 and one part of it covers pretty well the MDB DVD (as well as gives some hints about the possible problems with Anathema DVD)

"The brand new live CD is not coming out alone: the _For Darkest
Eyes_ video is being re-released in DVD format [also reviewed in this
issue] with a couple of extra features. "It could have been better",
admits Andrew. "The main problem is that there is not enough new
stuff on it. It's not really Peaceville's or MDB's fault, it's just a
bizarre twist of fate -- after _34.788%_ the band dipped into the
shadows and didn't do much, no videos or recording of gigs. Now,
having released _The Dreadful Hours_, which along with _The Light at
the End of the World_ has put MDB back on the British doom map -- I
don't think anyone else is doing this kind of thing in Northern
Europe --, Hammy and Lisa are really ecstatic with MDB's success, and
it's to their credit as well. So we've got a new format, DVD, what
can we do? Since there was such a dip in the band's activity, there's
nothing new to put in it, so it's just a format change. I was talking
to Hammy about a video for _The Dreadful Hours_ and he was very
enthusiastic. I can imagine we may do an MTV-style video for the next
album."

And there are nice reviews of both MDB and Anathema DVDs as well.

Originally posted by mega
DVD release doesn't automatically mean state of the art audio/picture quality as it all depends on the masters and how the transfer is done. Depending on the master tapes there might not be possibility to re-master the audio tracks. It is true that the My Dyimg Bride is much better in all aspects compared to the Anathema one but overall I am quite satisfied with the DVD. At least it is now widely available and it doesn't wear oout like VHS tapes do. Easier to access individual tracks etc

so what's the point in releasing a DVD if you don't improve the master tape? i'm sure if you gave the master tracks to me or to one of me mates who knows just a bit about soundforge or samplitude, we could easily improve it. it's just obvious Peaceville people didn't bother having a look at the audio tapes and released it straight as it is. if you compare it to other DVDs it's very sad to see how bad is the anathema one.

like if you take the promo videos, the sound volume is very loud on some of them, and very low on some others, so don't tell me they tried to improve the audio track : anyone who knows a bit about sound would tell you it's dead easy to have the same volume all along a DVD.

it's obvious : Peaceville need money, and they don't have time to sell good product, names like ANATHEMA or MY DYING BRIDE just sell by themselves.

so what's the point in releasing a DVD if you don't improve the master tape?

To make it available again for the fans since VHS is out of print ? Overall DVD is far superiot to VHS when it comes to usability not to talk about the quality.

i'm sure if you gave the master tracks to me or to one of me mates who knows just a bit about soundforge or samplitude, we could easily improve it. it's just obvious Peaceville people didn't bother having a look at the audio tapes and released it straight as it is.

I am not saying that something could have been done about it but like I said, I do not know what kind of masters they had and professional mastering isn't cheap, I am quite sure of that, it can't be done with cheap PCs and software.

if you compare it to other DVDs it's very sad to see how bad is the anathema one.

I refuse to call it a bad one. Sure I have seen plenty of better ones but you have to keep in mind that it was filmed over 6 years ago originally meant for VHS release, NOT DVD release.

like if you take the promo videos, the sound volume is very loud on some of them, and very low on some others, so don't tell me they tried to improve the audio track : anyone who knows a bit about sound would tell you it's dead easy to have the same volume all along a DVD.

Yes you can normalize the audio without any bigger problems and I never claimed they did try to restore/improve the sound. It is more or less direct transfer to DVD but so what ?

it's obvious : Peaceville need money, and they don't have time to sell good product, names like ANATHEMA or MY DYING BRIDE just sell by themselves.

Every label needs money and Peaceville have had some rough times I do know this for a fact. But believe me, they are still relatively small label and need to do some compromises and simply can't afford to put out state of the art DVD products like EMI etc. I refuse to call the money making whores. They are doing valuable work and I support them 100%.so what's the point in releasing a DVD if you don't improve the mast

oh well, it's no secret you're kinda 'close' to them, so no surprise you're so partial. enjoy your DVD mate.

oh well, it's no secret you're kinda 'close' to them, so no surprise you're so partial. enjoy your DVD mate.

Yes I have known Hammy (and Lisa) for years, that's no secret but that doesn't mean I can't be objective. I know their principles and honour their principles in music business. I do enjoy my DVD, you can enjoy whatever you want. It is always so easy to complain about things one doesn't know too much about.

and now you're getting pissed. as a customer i complain about that product. and in my own humble opinion it's clear - it's crap. haven't customers the right to complain about a product they paid and which isn't that good? having said that, Hammy is one of the last people i'd trust - you know why [or maybe you don't].

and now you're getting pissed. as a customer i complain about that product. and in my own humble opinion it's clear - it's crap. haven't customers the right to complain about a product they paid and which isn't that good?

I am not getting pissed, you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine and our opinions are clashing here but at least I am trying to back up my views and opinions. It is all about the angle of view you have about things and how you judge them.

having said that, Hammy is one of the last people i'd trust - you know why [or maybe you don't].

Based on my years of experience dealing with him, yes I do trust him and don't have anything negative to say about him. You may your reasons to distrust him but that doesn't affect me in any way.

Originally posted by Light
I'm with Mehdi on this one. I already have the VHS - the DVD adds *nothing*. (I don't count that handful of photographs - does anybody really sit in front of their telly looking at stills on DVDs??)

Considering that the material on this video dates back so many years, surely most fans (of that era) will have it already, and will be equally disappointed by the lack of extras on the DVD? I could have made my own VCD from the VHS in a couple of hours, and saved the money...

So you complain about the extras and I do agree, they are poor. But you have to keep in mind, that Anathema are not on Peaceville anymore so they do not have rights to any Anathema material after Alt 4. (and getting copyrights from MFN is a pain in the ass I have been told). And if the band/label hasn't recorded any of their shows etc, where the hell you could get some extras stuff for the DVD ? Some fans might have some good quality bootleg stuff but hunting it down would take ages. The MDB DVD extras came more or less directly from the band itself from their personal collection

In fact I was asked whatever I have some good quality old photos which I didn't. So in the end perhaps there simply wasn't any good quality material to be included as extras. Ever thought of this ? I know Peaceville did try to get some more extra material but they couldn't lay their hands on any. Hell they even asked me for some more old good quality photos (which I didn't have) as those stills were the only extras they could put on that disc.

Anathema have also gained lots of new fans with their last two releases who don't have access to the old VHS (which is out of print) but want to get it. Hell not even all the old fans have it as it has always been quite hard to get due to poor distribution.

Overall the DVD is far from being excellent but I think the release of the DVD is well justified. Nobody forces you to buy it.

Originally posted by mega
Overall the DVD is far from being excellent but I think the release of the DVD is well justified. Nobody forces you to buy it.

still it's quite frustrating to know it could have easily been 100 times better if peaceville would have payed one day or two mixing the master tapes in the studio. capitalist politic : making the as much money as you can while paying the less fees as possible, no matter if the product is good or not, knowing people will buy it anyway [microsoft anyone?]

still it's quite frustrating to know it could have easily been 100 times better if peaceville would have payed one day or two mixing the master tapes in the studio. capitalist politic : making the as much money as you can while paying the less fees as possible, no matter if the product is good or not, knowing people will buy it anyway [microsoft anyone?]

That's why they all it music business, in the end it is all about making money. Anyway I do not know the exact details about this but I can try to find out. Perhaps there weren't master tapes that would have allowed re-mastering (for example direct VHS to DVD transfers do exist) or maybe it wasn't worth of all the trouble and money, who knows.

And I highly doubt that no matter what quality Anathema DVD would have been, it wouldn't sold probably more than few thousand copies at max. As the income of each sold DVD is relatively small for the label, every pound they can save is more or less crucial and they just have to make compromises with products. I don't think re-mastering the audio track would have made it significantly better and don't understand the fuss about it. I do agree that extras could have been 100 times better.

But this is just my speculation which is not based on facts.

maybe it wasn't worth trouble and money? man, if they don't have money enough to release a good product, then they shouldn't have released it. better no product at all than a bad one. picture like a new fan who only knows 'a fine day to exit'. what is he gonna think of such a crappy DVD huh? i think it's too much bad products [resonance 1 + 2 + dvd] for anathema this year, don't you?