Latest Music Investments

Oakenson

Nature's Child
Aug 2, 2003
Michigan, USA
Visit site
I thought this would be a good thread for the mighty Evergrey forum (even though I am still a "newbie" :p ). It is meant for you to post your latest music purchases. Anyway, here are my latest:

: Nightrage - Sweet Vengeance
: Nevermore - Enemies Of Reality
: Dark tranquillity - Damage Done
: Kalmah - Swampsong

It did my Century Media shopping this week! :) Anyway, I enjoy every album so far. I have only been through one listen on Damage Done and now I am working on Nightrage. Thomas does a killer job here! :headbang:

Well my latest purchases have been used cd's...the last few have been:

Children Of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll
Good party kinda album,heavy. Includes a Slayer cover and is unfortunately a shit-cd (copy-protected).

Sonata Arctica - Silence
Got this album on the comp for ages,and on this one Kakko's vocals have improved a lot and the lyrics aren't that bad anymore (like on Ecliptica, My eyes might have betrayed me, but I have seen
Your picture on the cover of a filthy magazine
And I think my heart just cannot handle that
Dana, my darling, would be so bad).
Typical melodic metal,worth the money for me.

Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
Classic. Great,great album as a whole and I found out that I like all the songs instead of just 6 or 7 which I did before I bought it. Holmes' vocals are great.

Dan Swanö - Moontower
Doesn't get any better. Someone had been drinking a bit too much and sold it at a finnish ebay kinda thingy,I got it for 6?. Just a fucking masterpiece. Really good lyrics,personal songs,I just love Add Reality.
Anyone who hasn't got this time needs to get his/her hands on it right now.

Green Carnation - A Blessing In Disguise
I bought this one from the store a while ago but it needs to be said that this is probably the best album to come out 2003 so far. They've done a good job with the album,the singers voice is awesome,the guitars and the songwritings works well (Tchort answered my mail too which was nice hehe :)).

One more,I'm getting Dark Tranquillity - The Mind's I (used) in a week or so. That one's great too.

Oh and I think some commentary on the cd's that you've just bought would be nice,since the thread gets boring if everyone just lists a bunch of cd's.

Yes, I agree that commentary and discussion would indeed be good in this thread. Now that I have listening to all of my discs, I can now comment on them a little bit better :)

Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
Well, first off, this album is awesome! This is definitly one of the best investments I have made in a long time! Every track is great, and on top of that, with every listen I am enjoying the album more. I also like the usage of keyboards, which I think adds a lot to their music. After listening to this album, I definitly plan on getting more Dark tranquillity! :)

Kalmah - Swampsong
Another great investment. From the killer opener (Heroes To Us) to the beautiful ender (Moon Of My Nights), this album is killer! I have only been through one full listen, so it is still difficult to judge the album. I also own They Will Return, and I would say Swampsong is just as good! Of course, like I said, I have not listening to it enough yet to give a true opinion, but so far, I love it!

Nevermore - Enemies Of Reality
Seven-string heaviness! o_O This album took me by surprise. This is my first Nevermore album, and I have listened to it a few times. I do enjoy it, although some parts are too "nu-metalish" for me.

I did download the song Next In Line from the Century Media site, and I like this song a lot! The guitars have a better tone, so I may invest in one of their older albums as well.

Nighrage - Sweet Vengeance
The reason I bought this album is quite obvious :) Anyway, it is a wonderful melodic death metal album. I was listening to it driving home from the record store and it is intense! Tom's performance is awesome and I suggest it to all Evergrey fans that enjoy a little extreme metal as well... ;)

Overall, at this point, I would say I enjoy the Dark Tranquillity and Kalmah albums over the other two. But I also have to listen to others more as well. In a week or two I should be more certain on what I think!

Definitely get Dreaming Neon Black by Nevermore,Oakenson. Dead Heart In A Dead World has some of that 7-string feel too but not as much as Enemies Of Reality...so if you like DNB,if you decide to get it anyway,then you should move on with other albums.

I listened to the Nightrage album on the comp too and Lindberg's vocals are conving as usual,I only got to hear one song with Tom and it sounded nice. Any chance you could type down the lyrics for Nightrage and send 'em my way Oakenson?
I agree about Damage Done,it's one of the best albums to come out in 2002. Actually I'm just listenining to it. Can't wait to get The Mind's I. :)
I haven't liked Enemies Of Reality much so far though.

Fredcod: What is on that Ashes single?

I just got these albums... haven't listened to them yet:

Enchant - "Tug of War"
Zero Hour - "Metamorphosis"
Dead Soul Tribe - "A Murder of Crows"

I'd like to hear the Nightrage album before I decide to get it.

If anyone wants to hear the Nightrage album (and use AIM) just IM me and I shall send you a song or two :)

TheFourthHorseman,
Here are a couple of songs lyrics:

The Glow Of The Setting Sun
Desperate into shadows of pain, you never believed.
I've heard it all before, beyong the frontiers of this miserable world,
blazing souls abandoned in a perpetual journey.

The pain distorted his face, killing one another, and after,
there was dead silence. Hypocrite I don't believe in your idel workds,
everything he said, rings hollow.

The horizon was ablaze with the setting sun,
everything is like the glow of the setting sun.

Supressed voices, smothered laughter.

Circle Of Pain <-- Tom's biggest moment on the album
I thought you were my friend, I was trying to find myself,
in pieces so lonely and desperate.

You hurt me, I'm a fool and now I understand,
dark person punished my sould so bad.

You' can't hurt me no more, you'ee never understand,
don;t look at me, I pay for my mistakes.

Liear, hypocrite, evil, self-destructive, so full of jealousy.
Don't invade my dreams, just walk away.

In this eerie night I will fly, I will dance i the circle of pain.
Walking in this unknown emply land,
so confused for what';s wrong or right.

Searching for my inner power.

I thought you were my friend, in pieces so lonely and desperate,
and now I understand, you punished my soul so bad.

You can't hurt me no more, you'll never understand,
don't look at mne, I pay for my mistakes.

Sorry I did not type out more :erk: I hope those give you an idea anyway of what the lyrics sound like.

As far as the Nightrage sound, it is mostly intense melodic death metal, so I do not know if all will care for it. I like it, but I like more extreme metal genres as well. Like I said, if someone wants to hear something from it, IM me.

Also, TheFourthHorseman, thank you for the suggestions. I am not all that crazy about Enemies Of Reality either. It sounds too "nu-metalish" for me or something. I am going to look into your suggestions though, that is for sure. Thanks!

Those are quite enough Oakenson,thanks :) I'll have to listen to Nightrage again sometime. Not sure if I'll buy it at least yet though,but we'll see.

ProgMetalFan said:
I just invested in Secret Sphere - "Scent of Human Desire" tonight and it's absolute trash.

Really? I was going to invest in it, but I was not sure since it looked quite odd. I have A Time Nevercome and I think that is an awesome album...

Oakenson said:
Really? I was going to invest in it, but I was not sure since it looked quite odd. I have A Time Nevercome and I think that is an awesome album...

I love "A Time Nevercome"... but this album is completely different... it's like listening to Slaughter or Poison... really bad glam trying to be sexy and raunchy... and tons of sugary-sweet ballads... it might be the worst album I have ever heard. Not a song on it I like. They even managed to ruin "Runaway Train" (which was a phenomenol song in its demo version).

ProgMetalFan said:
I love "A Time Nevercome"... but this album is completely different... it's like listening to Slaughter or Poison... really bad glam trying to be sexy and raunchy... and tons of sugary-sweet ballads... it might be the worst album I have ever heard. Not a song on it I like. They even managed to ruin "Runaway Train" (which was a phenomenol song in its demo version).

When I was reading the song titles, I was not too excited about it. It sounds horrible. I cannot believe a band like Secret Sphere would release something like this, but I shall take your word for it and save my money for another Dark Tranquillity album or something. Thank you saying this because I was going to buy it this weekend! :erk:

Today I purchased another Dark Tranquillity album: Haven. This band is awesome!! I am new to their music and I am loving it! :D If anyone is familiar with them, are all of their albums this good (as Damage Done and Haven)?

I am very impressed with this band and I shall definitly try to get their full library in time.

Nostradameus - The third prophecy

The Provenance - Still at arms length, sound a bit like Opeth and My dying bride....... it is damned good!!!!

Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's guild

How does Dead Soul Tribe sounded like??
And Wolverine, I also only heard about them.

Oakenson said:
Today I purchased another Dark Tranquillity album: Haven. This band is awesome!! I am new to their music and I am loving it! :D If anyone is familiar with them, are all of their albums this good (as Damage Done and Haven)?

I am very impressed with this band and I shall definitly try to get their full library in time.

Damage Done is probably their most balanced album,where as I only like 5 songs on Haven,and only think that 2 of them are...well,really good,which is the first 2.
So I think that the rest of the DT catalog is dominating against Haven. Doesn't really matter which album you get now,but maybe you should first get some little heavier/faster stuff like The Gallery or The Mind's I and then the little softer Projector and maybe then their debut Skydancer...which is awesome too,just different. :) Really melodic,fast as hell and has Stanne on guitar and Friden (in In Flames now) on vocals.

At least they're all up there with Damage Done. Haven hid itself in the basement. :p

TheFourthHorseman said:
Damage Done is probably their most balanced album,where as I only like 5 songs on Haven,and only think that 2 of them are...well,really good,which is the first 2.
So I think that the rest of the DT catalog is dominating against Haven. Doesn't really matter which album you get now,but maybe you should first get some little heavier/faster stuff like The Gallery or The Mind's I and then the little softer Projector and maybe then their debut Skydancer...which is awesome too,just different. :) Really melodic,fast as hell and has Stanne on guitar and Friden (in In Flames now) on vocals.

At least they're all up there with Damage Done. Haven hid itself in the basement. :p

Thank you very much for the suggestions! Skydancer has been re-released here in America domestically, so I may get that one next. I think Haven is awesome, although I do like Damage Done more than Haven. I heard their Projector album is their most experimental and "gothic" ...? It sounds interesting, and I probably get that one after Skydancer. After I get those four, I will have to order The Gallery and The Mind's I from The End (since I will not be able to find those at any stores). Again, thank you very much for all of the information! :)