Latter Day Gig Attendance

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get motivated to go to a gig. This is called becoming old as shit (30+). I was averaging a gig a month not too many years ago, now I can't even rise to see Agalloch in a few hours without a caffeine cocktail fit for M.J. Goat forbid a brilliant fest came passing through town. I look back at the Heathen Crusades that went 10-13 hours a day of none stop booze and banging, and no way in fn hell would I be able to partake with such passion today as I did then. If those events took place today, I'd be a wallflower, babysitting a tonic. Geeze patrol, chime in. [/ShitThread] :Smokedev:

In other news, DCD completely snuck up on me. They're going to be in town come this Tuesday, cheap seats @ 80 bucks. Now that's something I can rise too. Sitting down! :kickass:

who was it here that mentioned that Agalloch play for like 2.5 hours ... fuck that shit ...
i still get very motivated to go to gigs ... and believe it or not try to go to ones from new bands and stay away from nostalgia acts.

Feel rather nauseous at the moment, but that was wuithout a doubt, top 5 concerts of all time. 2 and a half hours of pure friggin assault. Uhhjjjjjjh, pass me a sgtone ipa, I need to continue this boozery. Only dowmksode was the fuvking cocksucking cunts and gsahhoths on their cell phones who ruined my busz. Wtfffffffffffffff?Q?!@? Why are3 you at a gig cp0clsucker? Whty the fucvk bother tyo show ythe fuvck up oif hou're only texting your gvaft assss girlfrioend bvack jhome who is eating cheetoh s like a fn slobbbbbbb/!1?! Had some al pastro tacos afterwards that raped harder thasn aGGP;PCCACK NYWL ANPIT yp waycjbobby liebing story, andf go tyo bed. Nad and Ms Nad wete awesome, we head bang and air guitarrrr ed iunutill we could do it no more, and friendly embraces wete echaned under the moonlight,. Just an awesopme event that everyone shoukd attend/ Stellar crowd, steller beer, hazaaaaaaaaaaar. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh yesaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, bkleck

so are Agalloch actually good live now? Only time I saw them was rather disappointing, though much of the blame went to the shit venue and the Parisian crowd. Few things more irritating than Parisian metal "fans". Never experienced anywhere else that many people dressed up like goth dragqueens, talking during shows and being generally mood-killingly unpleasant to be around.

Which brings me back on topic: I also rarely gather the motivation to go to concerts anymore, especially not the motley bills put together by Season of Mist, like Enslaved supported by Alcest or Marduk supported by Suidakra or whatever. Saving my enthusiasm for one or two nice festivals a year. Next up the Nuclear War Now! part III in Berlin in November!

i generally dont go to anything except local gigs with local bands bla bla bla

kind of want to see katatonia/alcest in sthlm though and also wovenhand?

I think the last decent sized show I went to was Dying Fetus/Cannible Corpse back in Nov/Dec 2010
It would help if my friends liked metal, but they dont.
I am 100% going to see Vektor in St. Louis on the 20th. Cannot wait. I dont give a fuck if I have to go alone.

Rarely go to shows anymore, but it's been that way with me for several years. It's just too much of a pain. Too many people, too much standing, too much loud shitty music being played between sets, sucky parking most of the time, lost sleep during the week, etc....Danny Glover and I are too old for this shit.

Yeah, the fiance's mother has dragged us to shows with her (like Guns n' Roses and Van Halen), but there's no way we would have gone to those otherwise. As revenge we should make her see Devin Townsend with us :loco:

The Agalloch gig made me question why I no longer go out as much as I did. Just flawless in terms of performance, alcoholic delivery, spaciousness (stood near back, venue only half filled), good cohorts, length, etcetera. My only gripe were girls and faggoths constantly whipping out their cellphones to text Molly knows who. One wouldn't do this at a movie theater, so why is it socially acceptable during a live music performance? I can block out people using their devices to take vids of the bands, as they're obviously in to it and want to capture the moment. It's these tarts who merely go to be seen, and add a notch of credibility to their brooklynvegan account that evoke my ire. Literally had to move 3 times to temper my boiling blood.

All in all, spent the last couple days with irregular bowel movements due to mass taco/beer consumption, but it was well worth it. :Smokedev:

Did anyone else find the new drummer a bit too "busy" for the songs? Seemed like he played way too many fills. He was also mixed way too loud at my venue.

Did anyone else find the new drummer a bit too "busy" for the songs? Seemed like he played way too many fills. He was also mixed way too loud at my venue.

Ive only seen videos but I actually kind of prefer his style. To me it just adds another layer to the song, if that makes any sense...

Holy fuck Agalloch ruled so much god damn face. I'd put that show in my Top 5 ever as well. I rarely go into a full-on goosebump/meditative/reflective trance with music these days, especially at a live show, but jebus christ hearing Faustian Echoes live was miiiiiiiiiindblowing. Fuck that crowd though, god dammit why do people insist on yapping throughout an entire gig?!

Dude did you go to Dead Can Dance? It was amazing! I can't believe we went to two shows within one week, we never go to anything but local shit anymore. That crowd was even worse than Agalloch. People were trying to talk OVER the music, and numerous shouting of random song titles between songs got so irritating that the singer dude said "look, 15 years ago I literally walked off this stage because people kept shouting out requests," and people finally stopped.

But, fuck 'em, both shows killed. Worth the drive even. :kickass: :kickass:

Dude did you go to Dead Can Dance? It was amazing! I can't believe we went to two shows within one week, we never go to anything but local shit anymore. That crowd was even worse than Agalloch. People were trying to talk OVER the music, and numerous shouting of random song titles between songs got so irritating that the singer dude said "look, 15 years ago I literally walked off this stage because people kept shouting out requests," and people finally stopped. :

I wanted to go semi desperately, but the gig snuck up on me, and a mid tier seat would have set me back at least a c-note. Couple that with $15 on parking, a beer or two, perhaps some dough at the merchandise table, and I probably would have came out 2hundo in the hole. Just too close to Agalloch, and by Tuesday I still had the queeze that squirted the cheese. Most concert attendees need to get bludgeoned. :mad:

$20 premium parking! :loco:

The beer line was so long I didn't even bother. It was definitely cool to see them, and I think the way I felt about Agalloch was how the missus felt of Dead Can Dance. Neat. Oh yeah and the opening act was David Kuckhermann, a percussionist who quite literally saved my ability to play bass (he has a series of stretching videos that allowed me to virtually conquer tendonitis). So that was pretty awesome, what with him being a life-changing figure to my person.

Holy fuck Agalloch ruled so much god damn face. I'd put that show in my Top 5 ever as well. I rarely go into a full-on goosebump/meditative/reflective trance with music these days, especially at a live show, but jebus christ hearing Faustian Echoes live was miiiiiiiiiindblowing. Fuck that crowd though, god dammit why do people insist on yapping throughout an entire gig?!

Dude did you go to Dead Can Dance? It was amazing! I can't believe we went to two shows within one week, we never go to anything but local shit anymore. That crowd was even worse than Agalloch. People were trying to talk OVER the music, and numerous shouting of random song titles between songs got so irritating that the singer dude said "look, 15 years ago I literally walked off this stage because people kept shouting out requests," and people finally stopped.

But, fuck 'em, both shows killed. Worth the drive even. :kickass: :kickass:

Fuck these people. When I was at the Rome gig there were these two jack offs blathering on for the entire set. Discussing the differences betwixt German and French opera or some horse shit then they were discussing The Dollars Trilogy. Then some shite about only facists can be artists. Finally the dude from Rome asked them to be quiet and not talk over his music. They were silent afterwards.