Laugh at me if you like...

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
I just opened up the back of my JSX for the first time to check what pre tubes it came with (Sovotek and EH) and I noticed a really odd thing about the power tubes (JJ EL34s) it came with: L-R, the first and third tubes are about 0.5cm shorter than the second and fourth tubes haha.
I thought that they would all be the same size? Should they be if they were a matched quad? Am I just being paranoid?

:loco:

Nah, man, they're fine. The size of the glass envelope has nothing to do with the tubes performance.

Neb, you've had your JSX far longer than I, and up until now you haven't even looked back there? (it's transparent!) For shame! :lol:

Haha, no way, I've looked back through the cover plenty of times. It was only when I took the back cover off that I noticed the difference haha.

Cool. Anyway, I'll be ordering a first new set from Bob as soon as I get a return email from him (not regarding that question :p ).

I was pleased to see that the pre tubes weren't JJ too. Those EH/ Sovoteks sound like absolute shit. Here's hoping that the JJ ECC83S sound better.

I have JJ's In my Mesa Mark IV at the moment, great tubes, they get rid of that peaky high end and everything just sounds warmer :)
I think they are sounding pretty good
Good luck with them, and Bob is awesome, replies to every email quickly and with all the right info :=)

I got my JJ's in the mail yesterday. When I get some time, after this weekend (two night gig) I will fit the new tubes, do a bias myself and if they turn out ok, will do some comparo clips.

LMAO, thanks for the confidence :p

I should be right, as long as I only touch the multimeter when the amp is on.

If I can be bothered I'll do clips (with the mic in the same spot) of the EL's with the old pre tubes, EL's with the JJ pre tubes and the full JJ kit with 6L6's. I'll just have to service and play the amp without putting it back onto the cab so that I don't move the mic placement.

Haha, wouldn't you know it: the last two nights I've begun working on the "before"/EL34 clips, and not only have I found the best mic position I think I've achieved at home, I've also dialed the JSX into a monster tone. I'd say the best thrash tone I've heard from it. It sounds really good in the room IMO, and the mic is sounding VERY close to what I hear in the room.
More on the mic position, I've always struggled with a plastic topend and lots of shrill highs. Those seem to be gone. WOOT!

I'm looking forward to getting this finished, though I doubt it will be before the weekend. I've decided to make 6 or 7 clips, with different tubes and TS combinations.