LAZARUS.....wow....what a song.....!!!!!

really enjoyed foabp. Anesthetize is a crusher

edit: never really been into PT. I liked a couple of songs off I_A and DW(just because songs like trains and shallow seem to just set the other songs on the albums in terms of quality apart from one another) but apart from that, nothing.

I love almost everything by them. I was listening to Signify and The Sky Moves Sideways today...holy shit those albums are fantastic and pretty much forgotten by the majority of PT fans who just overrate Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun to Death (i'm not denying that both albums rule though).

Porcupine Tree is a band I've always felt I was supposed to like a lot more than I ever actually did, as much as I convinced myself at various points that I was, in fact, a huge fan. I think the tipper was when they gave me a screaming migraine when I saw them open for Opeth and I couldn't even stand to listen to them for over a year afterwards. All of their albums have a couple amazing songs (Trains, Buying New Soul, Arriving Somewhere but Not Here, My Ashes, etc), some decent ones that I rarely feel like listening to, a bunch of bland ones, and some utter trash (ex the aforementioned Sleep Together, Access Denied). Recordings, Lightbulb Sun and In Absentia pruned and stuck together would be one of the best albums ever made, but as it stands they are three pretty good albums and steven wilson is a self-indulgent wanker.

i think the problem with pt is they make like two or 3 incredibly catchy songs on each album and then suddenly they do something maybe a bit different. Now usually il complain that bands dont do anything different but in this case not only does it break the flow of the album but it also makes the tracks that are less catchy stick out like a sore thumb in terms of quality.

The ending of Sleep Together is unbelieveable with that majestic symphonic synth washing over everything.

Too bad because the song itself blows final dick.

I love almost everything by them. I was listening to Signify and The Sky Moves Sideways today...holy shit those albums are fantastic and pretty much forgotten by the majority of PT fans who just overrate Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun to Death (i'm not denying that both albums rule though).
I agree. Signify is very under rated and one of my favorites. It's the best mix of their early psychedelic sound with their more accessible pop'ish alternative leanings from the Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun era.

Back in the day when I first started having them pushed on me most people said it was their best (this was pre-in absentia). I guess maybe it's like Morningrise with opeth though where the more albums that come out the lower the percentage of old skoolers and thus the less you hear it's their best though.

Yeah they don't get acknowledged the way they should, and do get very overshadowed by stupid dream and onwards. The first 4 albums have some pretty good songs on them. I don't listen to them anywhere near as much as stupid dream onwards but they do have some replay value.

Yeah they don't get acknowledged the way they should, and do get very overshadowed by stupid dream and onwards. The first 4 albums have some pretty good songs on them. I don't listen to them anywhere near as much as stupid dream onwards but they do have some replay value.
I don't know about On the Sunday of Life. The only memorable songs on that album are Radioactive Toy and Nine Cats.

i dont really appreciate the earlier stuff... not into that trippy psych shit but middle PT is fucking mint. lazarus i thought was a song wilson purposely wrote to gain airplay time. that said, its a cool catchy tune and shouldnt be underestimated just because it sounds like 16 year old girls would like it. foabp was ridiculously good for the first three days i owned it and its getting worse and worse as the lyrics finally ruin his music. i honestly wish sw would let someone else write his lyrics because its getting ridiculous. on top of that, an entire album based on the annoyingly explored theme of youth and their ways pretty much condemned any replay value the music itself garnered.

I actually liked the idea behind the lyrics... but from day one I felt really dissapointed with the album's music and arrangements.