Benighted - Best Opeth Song Ever......!!!

Decadent said:
Wrong. Genre definitions are not terribly open for interperitation.
I find genres only usefull to give an extremly shallow description of a band or artist, for deeper knowledge the trick is to listen to the music. To actually try describe the artist with a genre like "vomit influenced speed-thrash" is nothing but gay.

On the internet however ppl seem to really enjoy bashing/flaming others in knowledge of genres. It is also called "imense frustration".

RavenousDaemon said:
Benighted never actually picks up damnit! How could it be your favorite when it puts most others to sleep. Someone is easily amused. Oh and I have been wondering for quite a while now, why the fuck is it that everyone else is a DotF whore? Sure, it's a good song, but I would take SPD anyday... which for some reason seems to be one of the most underrated songs ever.

I think that waz416 truely said it best:

waz416 said:
........to each his own...............

A certain term which many people in this forum really need to acknowledge.

Well the "his own" part doesn't exactly mix with what I am saying. Everyone on this forum is a DotF fanboy. Especially judging by the 10 or so people with the song as their username. Listen to something new people, that song is starting to become mainstream in my mind. Fuck it.

RavenousDaemon said:
Well the "his own" part doesn't exactly mix with what I am saying. Everyone on this forum is a DotF fanboy. Especially judging by the 10 or so people with the song as their username. Listen to something new people, that song is starting to become mainstream in my mind. Fuck it.

Maybe mainstream in your own little world but not in the real world.

RavenousDaemon said:

I wasn't exactly reffering to your opinion on Demon of the Fall. I was reffering to how you could possibly question waz416's interest in Benighted. It all comes down to a matter of personal likes/dislikes you know.

hi ive posted a couple times before but i guess you can call me pretty new

i think that Benighted is one of the best acoustic songs opeth have done
solo is also awesome

I've seen Benighted played live on the Damnation tour; and all I have to say is that is was very, very cool live; better than most Damnation songs (probably only after Windowpane, which is also one of my favourite ones). At the end of the Damnation set, Mikael stayed with Per on stage while Peter and the Martins left. Weakness finished up and Mikael completely on his own started playing Benighted. half way through the Matins and Peter joined to go on with the song, and God, that was great to witness!

jaykeegan said:
I wasn't exactly reffering to your opinion on Demon of the Fall. I was reffering to how you could possibly question waz416's interest in Benighted. It all comes down to a matter of personal likes/dislikes you know.

This wasnt directed at me, but come on, unless you just want a thread of "Yeah man! I agree! Totally! Woot!", dont get pissed off when someone disagrees.

....which i will as well, since this song isn't spectacular, and is no way near Opeth's best. Its just the little brother of Face of Melinda, trying to distinguish itself, but ultimately being surpassed at every step. As was said earlier, it just doesn't really go anywhere...it meanders on for 5 or so minutes, and then thats it. Wow. What a masterpiece...

Benighted is simply an amazing song. It's easily my favorite song to play on guitar. Oh, and waz, you should cover that song, I'm sure your voice would suit it fairly well- I've heard a bunch of your other covers.

Metalloid said:
Benighted is simply an amazing song. It's easily my favorite song to play on guitar. Oh, and waz, you should cover that song, I'm sure your voice would suit it fairly well- I've heard a bunch of your other covers.

hahaha.as soon as I get teh guitart parts down.its not the easisest song to play u know.......hahahaha..............but yeah Im definately gonna cover it.might add soem more elemets too........thanx for teh feedbakc guys...........and as always ......PEAC EOUT

the_3_toed_sloth said:
This wasnt directed at me, but come on, unless you just want a thread of "Yeah man! I agree! Totally! Woot!", dont get pissed off when someone disagrees.

....which i will as well, since this song isn't spectacular, and is no way near Opeth's best. Its just the little brother of Face of Melinda, trying to distinguish itself, but ultimately being surpassed at every step. As was said earlier, it just doesn't really go anywhere...it meanders on for 5 or so minutes, and then thats it. Wow. What a masterpiece...
That's the point. Try to think of the song in context of the entirety of Still Life.

Individually... yeah it's a fun little song to play on guitar. Makes all the musical newbies go 'woah, you rule dude' even though it's one of the easiest Opeth songs. Doesn't have enough dynamics, but I doubt that was the intention anyway. It's a pleasant tune to belt out on guitar every now and then.