Leads and Rhythms?

the_otherness

New Metal Member
Jun 21, 2004
Can anyone tell me which guitarist plays the leads and which guitarist plays the rhythms in Dark Tranquillity? Do both Niklas and Martin play leads as well as rhythms, or is it only one member?

It's annoying when a band doesn't include who plays what lead if there's more than one lead guitarist. Iron Maiden does it most of all, for sure, but for them it's simple to differentiate the sounds; Murray and Smith are as easy to tell apart as an apple from an orange.

Actually, if both Niklas and Martin play leads as well as rhythms, is there any way to tell the two's styles apart? If so, how?

Welcome me to the board...I'm new. :headbang:

interesting question, otherness, so welcome to the board. ;) they both play lead and rhythm guitars afaik, and by now i can more or less tell them apart, but i wouldn't know where to begin to explain how, also because i can't play anything besides my blue kazoo of doom.

anyone else, or shall i ask the boss?

rahvin said:
anyone else, or shall i ask the boss?
I'd love to hear what Misanthrope has to say, but by all means, feel free to awaken the boss from its slumber.

warning. spoilers ahead. :cool:

Niklas Sundin said:

it's pretty much 50/50, and there's no real difference in the way that one of us plays a certain style or type of lead guitar only. the only way to tell it apart would be to watch us live, i guess.

rahvin said:
warning. spoilers ahead. :cool:

[/color]

[/color][/size]

Ahh, thank you. I guess a direct quote from The Man (or one of The Men, rather :worship: ) is the best way of putting it.

Too bad...I just wish I could "see" them play it, and not just hear it.

I guess I'll just have to pick up the DVD then!

Thanks everybody!

Looks like Niklas plays more of the faster stuff, so Niklas = lead?

^über cool moderator.
(oh wait, wrong thread)

Yes, I read what was quoted from Niklas.

I learn DT songs and stuff and from my experience alot of the time Henrikson is Playing blisteringly fast Rhythms while Niklas often takes the Main melodies, but they share and harmonise all the time on bridges and stuff. Often In verses or beatdowns they play almost Identical rhythms (like therein's verse riff).

I would say Niklas takes Lead as it just seems his parts are more forefronted and he does alot more solos... but alot of the speed and style comes from the brutal wall of sound created by Martin's rhythm riffs.
A good example of what I mean is in the Sun fired blanks. Sun fired blanks has the melodic clean breakdown all done by niklas, the neo classical intro and chorus melodies (niklas again) and Unison rhythmic parts on the verse's.

Well, it's all a matter of definition I guess. With "guitar leads", I think of guitar based melodies that are prominent enough to become the main thing in the music when they're played, and in that respect it's pretty much split 50/50 between me and Martin. It's usually a matter of whoever wrote the riff in the first place, and it's often based around harmonies that involve both guitars, so it's not always as easy as dividing them into one rhytm and one lead guitar.

If there's a general tendency, I guess it's towards me playing more of the traditional guitar solo-ish stuff and Martin playing the main melodies within the songs (in choruses and such), but it's pretty mixed up nevertheless.