Leaking

If someone downloads an album I think it makes the album sound alot fucking worse.

Growing up when I bought CDs, I loved having the whole package to it. Vinyl or CD, i'd leaf through everything while listening to it. In a way getting a feel for the album. I don't understand people who would still have a file on their computer over a fucking old-school CD.

It's beyond me why someone could be so dis-respectful towards a band by downloading an album, liking it, and not buying it. They're not supporting that band, it's plain stealing. illegal? duh?

I remember at a meeting with the label, we were told about a signing with Morbid Angel where a kid brought a CD-R burn of an album up and asked for them to sign it. He just got told to fuck right off regardless of his 'I love Morbid Angel' comments. That's how I see it, Good for them.

For me, an album's packaging has alway affected how good an album is. If it's a great album with great packaging/artwork, there's nothing better (Metallica Justice, Sepultura Remains/Arise). If it's got shite artwork, it somehow doesnt come across as good as it should to me (Megadeth Risk, Annihilator Remains).

So when someone downloads something and they don't even have any packaging to go by, they just have the songs on a computer with a shitty little jpeg of the cover, i think it ultimately makes the songs sound not as good. When I hear 'Master of Puppets' I (somehow) kind of hear/see that awesome cover, the pictures of the band in the booklet and get a feel for the band at that point in time in their career. The packaging is a landmark in the band's progression and career, why wouldn't someone want that?

We put a fuck load of work into the actual packaging and layout/feel of the whole CD, not just the writing and recording. People don't realise that. They're paying for more than just the music. We sat down and spent alot of time thinking and working on how we could make a CD package that would appeal to the people we wrote the music for. Just like we did for the music. Just like all other bands who made packaging for their CDs.

For a band like Evile, we're just starting out. Downloading will affect us more than people think. We aren't Metallica, They've no huge worry about their product not selling. If we sell hardly anything people don't realise how much that can contribute to us not making another CD. It's really that simple.

I think downloading can be a good way of getting into new bands. I have gotten into a few bands by downloading one or two tracks online and then going out and buying the albums, whereas I probibly wouldn't have taken the chance without hearing something by them first. The problem is there appear to be too many people who hold the idea that music isn't worth paying for. I remember a couple of years ago I got talking to someone about music and CD collections and she said to me "I have over 10,000 albums", I was like "Wow, that's a lot!" and then she added "All downloaded. I hardly ever pay for music". That really annoyed me.

Aside from that, I don't think that having a load of MP3's or tatty CDR's is as good as having an actual CD collection. I think that part of the fun is browsing through record stores, having a booklet and artwork to look at, reading through the lyrics, etc. etc. By downloading you lose all of that.

Growing up when I bought CDs, I loved having the whole package to it. Vinyl or CD, i'd leaf through everything while listening to it. In a way getting a feel for the album. I don't understand people who would still have a file on their computer over a fucking old-school CD.

I completely agree. Downloading music removes the sense of occasion... I love looking at the artwork, and whatever's been put in the booklet. Also, when you think about how much effort has gone into designing the artwork and making the album look cool as well as sound good, it's just unfair not to buy it.
Nothing beats walking into a CD shop and buying an album because it looks cool as fuck, or finding a CD you've been looking for for AGES... downloading takes away that sense of excitement, the sense that you've found treasure.
Plus, nobody's really gonna be impressed when they see your tiny CD collection but you say, "oh yeah, I've got 200 albums on my PC".

...:zombie:

If someone downloads an album I think it makes the album sound alot fucking worse.

It's beyond me why someone could be so dis-respectful towards a band by downloading an album, liking it, and not buying it. They're not supporting that band, it's plain stealing. illegal? duh?

I remember at a meeting with the label, we were told about a signing with Morbid Angel where a kid brought a CD-R burn of an album up and asked for them to sign it. He just got told to fuck right off regardless of his 'I love Morbid Angel' comments. That's how I see it, Good for them.

For me, an album's packaging has alway affected how good an album is. If it's a great album with great packaging/artwork, there's nothing better (Metallica Justice, Sepultura Remains/Arise). If it's got shite artwork, it somehow doesnt come across as good as it should to me (Megadeth Risk, Annihilator Remains).

So when someone downloads something and they don't even have any packaging to go by, they just have the songs on a computer with a shitty little jpeg of the cover, i think it ultimately makes the songs sound not as good. When I hear 'Master of Puppets' I (somehow) kind of hear/see that awesome cover, the pictures of the band in the booklet and get a feel for the band at that point in time in their career. The packaging is a landmark in the band's progression and career, why wouldn't someone want that?

We put a fuck load of work into the actual packaging and layout/feel of the whole CD, not just the writing and recording. People don't realise that. They're paying for more than just the music. We sat down and spent alot of time thinking and working on how we could make a CD package that would appeal to the people we wrote the music for. Just like we did for the music. Just like all other bands who made packaging for their CDs.

For a band like Evile, we're just starting out. Downloading will affect us more than people think. We aren't Metallica, They've no huge worry about their product not selling. If we sell hardly anything people don't realise how much that can contribute to us not making another CD. It's really that simple.

I know i have quoted the whole post but that is EXACTLY how i feel and i agree with every single point made in there.

I even agree with the choices of Megadeth's Risk and Annihilator's Remains.

:zombie: The zombie was a thrasher before death. :kickass:

I think downloading can be a good way of getting into new bands. I have gotten into a few bands by downloading one or two tracks online and then going out and buying the albums

At all times I do that, or Just listen to there myspace.

Well on Monday, I'm going straight to Spiller Records buying it, And get the free vinyl if they have any left, Then work my way home. Turn on my amp and plug into my old Walkman player into it, and play the CD. :loco:

Monday is going to be good. :)

With the promos given out, it was going to happen, but I thought no would upload and be dis-honest so early like Ol said.

What I do is listen to some songs on the myspace or whatever, and then if I like it, I'll go buy it. I've downloaded albums in the past, and there's no good excuse for it. I know some people make the argument that the bands make most of their money from playing live but I think it would be better to have all the money, don't you?

All that loadsa stuf wot I sed

Yeah man, agreed. If you go over to the "What u got recently" thread ont he UK thrash forums, someone just bought a Nile album in a pyramid box set with a bunch of cool stuff inside and the lyric sheet on a little scroll. Ok, it's a special edition thing, but there are non-special edition albums with the same appeal. Look at Slipknot's Iowa, with that greased paper stuff in the booklet. Not only does it look cool but it smells wierd as well, and it's all stuff you associate with the music. As for packaging making a difference to what you buy, if I didn't know who they were I'd never pick up Metallica's Black album, although I do love that album, yet I've picked up albums before that look cool just cos they look cool, namely Bolt Thrower who, frankly, I thought sucked. But I still bought it. Also, since the birth of the Myspace music player, there's really no reason to download for testing anymore. The only time I would ever downlaod songs would be ones that are unattainable, i.e. Slipknot's (again) Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat album. No longer available, I'll be fucked if I'm getting it on ebay because 1, it's all 2nd hand so it makes no difference to the band anymore, 2, there's way too many copies of that album and it's hard to tell which is which, and 3, they go for way over £100, and I'm not ever paying that for an album I'm not certain is genuine. Besides, I bought the vinyl, and that whole situation's a bit of a rarity.

Packaging does make everything so much better when listening to music. I've got plenty of CDs, generally when I get one it goes straight on my PC, as that is my chosen medium, and then stays in its box for a long time. I've got over 3300 audio files on iTunes, I'd say about 2900 are things I own, maybe 100 are random things, maybe from websites or whatever, another 30 or so that are things I or friends have made, and the rest I am slowly buying. I used to download music before I realised what was wrong with it, and I haven't downloaded in years. The thing is though, I tend to listen on random a lot of the time, but recently I've been playing full albums again. Usually I'll put it on random until I find somethign that really suits my mood then play the full album, and I have found I miss having the CD. I've been at home for the last 3 weeks and my PC is packed up cos I'm moving back to uni in a couple weeks, and I've had to use CDs properly, and I realised how much I miss it. There's just something nice about putting the CD in the tray and watching it slip in before hearing the brutal intro to Machine Head's Davidian, there's a nice feeling of preparation about it. It's also one of the reasons I prefer Mini Disc to MP3 players, the tactility of pushing the disc in and clicking the lid shut beats pressing a button that's not quite there on an iPod any day. Most of my CDs are in storage at the moment, but I can't wait to get them all back so I can leaf through them while listening to the albums again.

On the other side of the coin to all this, it's well annoying when a band releases an album and then re releases it a year later with extra tracks. I just got the Stone Sour album Come What(ever) May, which has a DVD with a live set and the three videos from the album singles, plus 4 extra songs, 1 cover from an acoustic session on a radio station, and Corey Taylor reading a poem. It's only recent though, and I know plenty of people who bought that album way back when it came out and would love to hear all that stuff. People feel done over and I can see why someone would download the extra tracks after buying the original, it's not fair on the hardcore fans. To be honest, that's something I wouldn't stop anyone doing.

</rant>

Sorry, I've had this conversation a million times and have been building this argument for quite some time.

P.S. sorry for cutting the quote Ol, I figured everyone gets the picture by now :)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=79507

We have people watching the forum, but most of the comments are agreeing but theres some idiots who are against what Ol has said.

I've always hated blabbermouth.

Edit:

Also people are slamming Evile as Slayer rip offs, this is pissing me off. Why don't they understand that you can't be completely origional playing an old style of music. Evile don't "rip off" anybody.

I downloaded some Slayer and Children of Bodom when I started listening to metal, but that were maybe 20 songs total. After that, I never downloaded again.
I don't have very much money, so I can't buy cd's all the time. I just bought myself a guitar. With that money, I could buy about 40 cd's. I only have about 30/35 cd's plus some dvd's which I actually bought myself or got as a gift from someone else. Because I'm a student, I can buy 1, rarely 2 cd's each month, but then I can't go drink anything with my friends, or I can't go to a concert or whatever. Anyway, I don't download anymore.
If I want to hear another band, my cousin gives me some of his cd's, and I listen to them. But that's about it, after that, I give them back withouth putting them on my computer or whatever (some exceptions though, but importing a cd on i-tunes or wmp simply takes too long for me).

About the "slayer-ripoff": It's not because a band sounds like another band, that it's bad. If slayer should take evile to court because evile sounds like slayer, we should take death angel and testament to court for sounding like metallica. And what about coverbands? No one seems to have problems with that.
I think bands like slayer, testament and every other thrashmetalband will love evile. I mean, where the fuck do you find guitarplayers like Ol or drummers like Ben these days? You won't find them in a fucked up nu-metal/emocore/hardcore-environment. Pussy Marc Rizzo won't solve that problem with it's pedals and fucked up solo's.

Evile did a great job. It was one of the best albums I ever heard, and there is nothing wrong with sounding like one of the bands that influenced you! They can definitely play together with the other thrashbands. Evile rocks and has my eternal support. :kickass:

(Sorry if my English isn't very good. It isn't my native language and I'm not used of writing long rants like these. :p)

I just want to say, in relation to the packaging debate iv got 2 words -

Tool

Radiohead

Tool very clearly have fucking amazing packaging which you have to buy cos its a work of art in itself. Radiohead you might not think so but they do spend ages with their packaging. They even re-released Kid A as a library book with stamps and notes in it and stuff. And once instead of releasing an album they released short videos.
You cant miss all that just cos you dont wanna pay around a tenner...

Oh and im gonna be buying The Album tomorrow if theres any left in HMV in Hudds!!