Learn Finnish with Waltari

Regna

Everytime i die
Aug 1, 2004
SPAIN (Galicia)
Waltari did not only teach us what good music can sound like. First of all they teached us some Finnish. Well, at least some basics. Enough to survive in Finland.
The most important words you need to survive in a foreign country of which you don't speak the language they gave us with the names of the Finnish songs on their album "Pala Leipää/Ein Stückchen Brot". For sure you could come up with the argument that there is no country on Earth where you don't find at least one person that has got English knowledge.
But imagine you are in the province where people live that do not have much contact to the outer world and who don't speak English. Then it's good you learned the Finnish words by Waltari. With these words you are able to survive anywhere in Finland and you can't die of hunger.
If you are hungry you just say "Pala Leipää" (A piece of bread). If that is not enough you add "Nakki" (Sausage). Tada, look what you've got: It's a Hot Dog ordered with a bit of Finnish knowledge.
If you want to be entertained by the people because there is no other entertainment like a movies, a theater, an opera hall or whatever say "Tuttu Juttu" (A Common Story) to them. They will understand for sure you that you want them to tell you a story. (Well, if they tell you a story in Finnish it's no big entertainment because you understand nothing. But they could also do pantomime or could entertain you with some funny traditional Finnish games - whatever these are like.)
But that is not everything we learned. If you look for a bridge from that you can easily find the way home to your hotel or where else you live it is no problem for you to ask the people where to go in case you have gone astray. The only thing you have to say to the people is "Sillanpää" (Bridge End) and they will tell you where the bridge is.
And on the opposite if you are asked you simply quibble with "Aika Tuulee" (Time Blows) to pretend you don't have the time to answer him or her.
And not just the way home you will find with the knowledge given to you by Waltari. You will also know where are the hottest parties when you point yourself and say "Hippakaveri" (Party Animal).
Another way to get to the hottest parties is of course to follow young people. If they realize that you follow them you say "Olen Seuraaja" (I Am A Follower). But young people often don't like people who follow them. If they become aggressive and want to thrash you and you see they are stronger and don't want a fight with them, say "Kinastellaan" (Let's argue) to them. And they will probably start arguing with you instead of fighting.
In the case you want to object something you can say "Mut Hei!" (But Hey!). Things you can object are "Uhoa, Ei Tuhoa" (Threat, Not Destruction). Maybe this objection seems to be unimportant at first. But on a closer look it is also important. If somebody thinks you want to murder him or her - what ever your motives could be for that - you can say "Uhoa, Ei Tuhoa". Then this person knows you don't want to kill him or her. Well, he or she thinks you want to threaten him or her but that is better as if he or she thinks you want to kill him or her, isn't it?
But what shall you do if somebody wants to kill you? Don't worry. Waltari has got the answer. You shout out loudly: "Mä Haluun Elää" (I wanna live). (If you do this with much passion maybe the person who wants to kill you is so impressed by your vital force that he or she is emotianally not capable to murder you).
If its a beasty dog who wants to kill you say "Pois" (Away) to him. If you have got your lucky day his dandy has taught it the meaning of Pois and it moves.
Maybe it did not kill you but bit you and now your trouser is ripped. How to ask people to fix it? Point at your ripped trouser and say: "Liisteri-Mies" (Glue Man). Then people will understand you need a glue man, somebody who fixes your trouser with glue or whatever.
Well, you see it is easy to survive in Finland. Thank you, Waltari

TheSomberlain said:
Not much happening in Spain these days, ey? :p
:lol: not much, but i didn't write that, i found it in a web site about Waltari
Angel_of_Death666 said:
lol. I'm sorry I just had to laugh
:tickled: me too... :Spin:
-Gavin- said:
I hit myself for actually reading that.....
sorry dude, i hope that you're not very injured!! should i hit myself for posting that? :cry: :Smug: :err: :yell: :tickled: