Led Zeppelin vs. Deep Purple

• Deep Purple

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Led Zeppelin

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Tacos

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
To be honest I'm only really familiar with In Rock, but Deep Purple don't seem to be anywhere near the quality of Led Zeppelin. They seem inferior to Zeppelin in every single respect. If I've missed out on some amazing album I'm totally open to giving it a listen, but I don't see them having the basic pieces to enter Zeppelin's stratosphere.

Ritchie Blackmore and Ian Gillan >>> Plant and Page ... not even in the same league.

Jon Lord had more talent in his fingers than all of led zeppelin.

Zepp are just more mainstream, more people here in the u.s. grew on that shit. Deep Purple didn't get as much love on this side of the pond, so offcourse they're not going to take this poll ... especially when conidering most of the kiddies here probably had LZ playing in their households. I on the other hand was fortunate enough to be introduced to Black Sabbath and Deep Purple at the same time when i was a youngster.

Deep Purple is far from kvlt. The main thing going against them is that when they try to throw in more bluesy rock songs into their albums, they come off as half-hearted and silly, just a step above a metal band trying similarly. Led Zeppelins roots are much closer to the sound and it comes off as more genuine, so they don't suffer as much of a filler problem.

Oh, i'm sorry, i didn't know that being less popular than Zeppelin ment you're kvlt. Deep Purple are one of the most famous bands to come out of the UK.

.. oh and the rest of your post suffers from "filler problems".

Your mass-building supplements suffer from filler problems.

Anybody know where I can find full LZ albums? The ones I used to use on youtube got taken down. :/

Grooveshark.com is a cool free site with a lot of shit (meaning all of the better known artists/albums including metal). It also scrobbles.

EDIT: I usually go there for more popular shit so I don't waste space on my drive and I keep the more obscure shit in my iTunes.

Anybody know where I can find full LZ albums? The ones I used to use on youtube got taken down. :/

You might be able to find some bootlegs on ebay if you're patient and persistent.

I just relistened to In Rock. Cool album with a few really killer songs. I'd definitely give some of their other albums a listen, but I just don't think it's anywhere near as interesting as Zeppelin. But Zeppelin are a really special band, I mean they created the fucking sexiest rock music ever. It's just pure, primal drive and nothing comes close to it.

I should also note that I think LZ is better but the average American is so over-exposed to them that I can barely bear to hear them any more. They're like a once-a-year band now.

DPiR and Machine Head are probably my two favorites from them.

<3

Edit: What are some of the heavier Zeppelin songs, preferably ones where Plant dosn't sound like a women that's getting fondled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tacos.jpg

+2 votes for these guys.

Deep Purple for me. I like zep, but, they just don't move me often, as Purple does. They are more musically adept than Zep. Page tends to be a little too sloppy live for my tastes. But.....Page's acoustic riffs are really strong, that's where his strength lies. John Paul Jones is a better bassist than Roger Glover, but Purple overall is better to me. When Deep Purple throw in those classical fugues....just awesome. There'd be no Yngwie without 'em. Purple can play the blues....not quite as good as Zeppelin, but the DP song Mistreated alone, shows that they're capable of it, with no problem. In Rock and Fireball are my favorites. From Zep...Presence, and Houses of the Holy (Page's acoustics...his best)

Led Zeppelin for me. I've always loved their influences, and bluesy sound. Favorite songs are Achilles Last Stand, Kashmir and Since I've been Loving You.

Favorite albums are Led IV and Physical Graffiti.

I enjoy Deep Purple as well, In Rock, Fireball and Machine Head are great albums.

Really no comparison. Zep all day. Deep Purple is by no means bad band but off the top of my head I can't remember a single song except Burn. Also kinda have to laugh at "musical plagiarism" on a metal board. But hey, we all know TNB is just gonna go against every single zep post because he disagrees, that's why we love him.

Also kinda have to laugh at "musical plagiarism" on a metal board.

What? I don't even now what this means. Do you think that heavy metal and hard rock musicians are somehow magically immune to plagiarism?

Also, I'm not going against anyone, just throwing my opinions out there, like everyone else in this thread ...dont know how that becomes "going against every zep post because he disagrees". The funny thing is, you're the one rebutting almost every Deep Purple/Led Zeppelin post i've made .. but it dosnt bother me, that's what these boards are here for.

I can't remember a single song except Burn.
You need to get more of their stuff.