LEE JACKSON GP-1000 88 replica for sale

Hey guys,

I finally have some more photos, did a bit more tweaking, mainly replacing the shielded cables for high quality ones (found out that the ones I had inside started breaking when stretched and bent few times - not something you want inside a quality unit) and playing with cap values.

There is still some cable tidying to do, I want all the cables tied to make sure nothing will ever move.

I also tried to make a recording today, but found two things - 1- I can't play shit :) 2- camera's microphone is even worse than my playing

Therefore I will be handing the unit to my player this evening to test thoroughly and we plan to stop by recording room during the weekend. Hopefully it will be free.

On the photos you can see the unit without front panel, and without mentioned cable tidying. In person it is actually quite nice and way less crowded than first Rune's unit. The second photo shows 4 switches that Rune can use for turning gain and tone mods on/off, and on the third you have rear panel (2 outputs, one double footswitch for EQ and for distortion and one rear input).
rB85YtW.jpg

N3ILiJ8.jpg

uwVGWSQ.jpg

I really hate myself for leaving you wait for so long :/ Anyway, Rune's unit has been already completed, but during testing we found out, that all the mods pushed the limits a bit too much and there is one exact setting where the preamp picks up some noise. It occurs only when you turn down the distortion and treble and volume all precisely to 3 o'clock. All other settings are fine.

Of course, this has to be repaired, and I believe I have already found a solution - I fucked up a little during last PCB layout design, some traces are too close together and that should be the problem. (First prototype, the rusty metal one does not make any noise, even when modded - therefore it can be only PCB problem, parts are the same)

Right now I have almost completed repaired PCBs - I work a bit slower because I hurt my back, can not bend at all :/ Will follow up with pictures later today when I finish cabling.

One more thing - Yesterday we did some emergency sound recording with my friend - we lost access to our recording room, until October..... We have connected the output of the GP directly to my computer's sound card. Rune has already looked at the files and said what I was thinking - it needs a poweramp a speaker and recording with microphone. Problem is, I don't own any recording equipment. Fortunately some friends can help - at 5 today I am going to pick a good microphone and hopefully also a good external sound card (M-Audio if I remember correctly). We can record in my garage or at friend's house - drummer, he has a small recording room. Will let you know how it went.

Anyway, here are the files, but do not expect very much.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/theweightedcompanycube/mod-test/s-j47A8[/SOUNDCLOUD]
[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/theweightedcompanycube/test/s-PCDle[/SOUNDCLOUD]

The last one there still has the first stage gain mod if I remember correctly, it isn't accessible from the front, but on a switch inside the case (who would want to turn that off anyways? Well some jazz players might need gnarly brittling sounds, but not me). Sounds good, but quality is crap, but I guess it is what you could expect from running a preamp directly to a regular PC without any DI or sound-card that is meant for recording anything.

I'm sure there will be more clips by tomorrow or so, with higher quality, and more advanced playing.

i must admit im not impressed at all with the sound, sounds very like a cheap squier sp10 amp, but im sure its because what rune said and they will sound awesome with proper gear.

btw theres no doubt you guys are honest and want to be true at maximum, even though this doesnt sound the best you still sent these clips just to keep us guys updated, even though these clips could lead to someone lose interest in buying it for sounding this way and not being very cult about all of this. respect! ;)

waiting for further updates and clips :)

The sound isn't like that at all, but as TWCC said it is needed for people to hear that the project is still alive. It is just GP-1000 output via a regular mono instrument cable with a smaller extaintion into a stock souncard input on a laptop windows pc. If you manage to get good sound out of that, then you're a legend.

The only option these guysnhave are camera recording/cell phone recording or direct ouput to PC.
We'll get some good stuff in the coming days when he get to lend better equipment.

The sound isn't like that at all, but as TWCC said it is needed for people to hear that the project is still alive. It is just GP-1000 output via a regular mono instrument cable with a smaller extaintion into a stock souncard input on a laptop windows pc. If you manage to get good sound out of that, then you're a legend.

The only option these guysnhave are camera recording/cell phone recording or direct ouput to PC.
We'll get some good stuff in the coming days when he get to lend better equipment.

Reaper + voxengo bogex + guitarhack impulse = decent sound. Much better then what you are demonstrating now. You were talking about business model earlier but you should consider this.

Well, there is something to build on tomorrow after all:
GK6KYTK.jpg

Also:

nunofrg said:
i must admit im not impressed at all with the sound, sounds very like a cheap squier sp10 amp, but im sure its because what rune said and they will sound awesome with proper gear.

btw theres no doubt you guys are honest and want to be true at maximum, even though this doesnt sound the best you still sent these clips just to keep us guys updated, even though these clips could lead to someone lose interest in buying it for sounding this way and not being very cult about all of this. respect!

waiting for further updates and clips

Yes I agree, it sounds terrible via the soundcard in my PC. Tomorrow is all reserved for proper testing, but I have some good news in forward - just completed the new version (number 9 FYI) and also tested it. No oscillation on the output whatsoever (and that is even without shielding, only bare PCB with parts laying on my workbench. Certainly seems promising.

Also, thanks for kind words about honesty - that is how I try to come out all the time. No covering up, no bullshit. If it does not work and/or make some problems, I will state that there are some problems to be sorted out and apologize for delaying it more. And try my best to keep you all updated as much as possible. At the moment I have the whole house for me until Sunday, so I can do as much work as possible.

By the way, I thought about one more thing I should make clear. If anyone orders a GP/SP from us.. I make it, ship it.. and if the person will test it and find out that it is not what he aimed for after testing it, just tell me and ship it back. I will of course return the money.

(Preferably after your thorough testing :) my player says that to get sweet tones from his current GP you have to fiddle with the pots to find sound you like. Much like Mr. Jackson when he described how some player came to test GP and set the knobs to something entirely different from what would LJ consider good tone. But the player was happy.)

JonWormwood said:
Reaper + voxengo bogex + guitarhack impulse = decent sound.
I (as an engineer) have no idea what you have just said, but let me say that I found your two recent gp1000 recordings in other thread and they are very, very nice. I particularly like the Dropped B thingie.. very nice. May I ask what tubes you have (had?) in your GP and which mods were applied? Also, if I understand correctly, that Kemper device of yours is a digital signal processor allowing you to apply various characteristics of various preamps/amps/etc to guitar sound? Impressive!

I (as an engineer) have no idea what you have just said, but let me say that I found your two recent gp1000 recordings in other thread and they are very, very nice. I particularly like the Dropped B thingie.. very nice. May I ask what tubes you have (had?) in your GP and which mods were applied? Also, if I understand correctly, that Kemper device of yours is a digital signal processor allowing you to apply various characteristics of various preamps/amps/etc to guitar sound? Impressive!

It was just some programs to help you create a professional sound.

I am enjoying tung sols at the moment.

I've used jj's but I want to give rubys a try next time.

I did the first gain stage mod (used diff components then .68u/825ohm) then some plate voltage stuff. It's been quite some time since I modded it then a buddy of mine modded it as well.

The kemper sends a signal through the amp/cab, listens through a mic then analyzes and it essentially steals its soul. I know have my gp1000 with me anywhere I bring the kemper. It even feels like the gp1000. Brilliant device.

How much I'll you be charging for your gp/sp setup? I could do some great vids vs the real deal.

It was just some programs to help you create a professional sound.

I am enjoying tung sols at the moment.

I've used jj's but I want to give rubys a try next time.

I did the first gain stage mod (used diff components then .68u/825ohm) then some plate voltage stuff. It's been quite some time since I modded it then a buddy of mine modded it as well.

The kemper sends a signal through the amp/cab, listens through a mic then analyzes and it essentially steals its soul. I know have my gp1000 with me anywhere I bring the kemper. It even feels like the gp1000. Brilliant device.

How much I'll you be charging for your gp/sp setup? I could do some great vids vs the real deal.

The kemper thingie sounds very nice, good for you.

The fully modded GP+SP in one case should be around 600 EUR (roughly 800 USD). Shipping to US (if you are there right now) could be costly, but I have some friends travelling between Europe and US from time to time, maybe we could shave something there. I would be glad if you could do some professional vids for comparison. And of course give you a better deal for it. Let's see how this version 9 will sound and then we can work from there. Too bad I don't have an original GP on hand to compare the sound - I have all the measuring equipment needed to do it, but don't have the original GP :/ However, based on how it sounds in real life I would say it is pretty close to the real deal.. but it is hard to capture the sound with our short recording sessions and improper equipment. Now when I have sound card, mic and place+time to test it should improve..

Reaper + voxengo bogex + guitarhack impulse = decent sound. Much better then what you are demonstrating now. You were talking about business model earlier but you should consider this.

I agree on using reaper as recording software/program (DAW), it is free/cheap and have everything needed in this situation. It is not like they need a whole Protools setup just to lay down some guitartracks so we can get some clue how the clone sounds.

But when it comes to the vst and impulses you mention, they are okay when you not care about coloration of your sound, in this case, we'd like as pure sound as possible so that you could easily compare your stocK/modded GP-1000's without any extra processing.

I hope you've got firewire on your PC TWCC, because I think the external soundcard you borrowed only utilizes Firewire and not USB, but I could be wrong of course. And also you guys must google some good mic placement for capturing studio quality sound. I still have to learn this myself as I've just achieved my pair of first mics and external soundcard myself.

Also the reason his drop b thing sounded so different and modern (good to some ears, not mine) is because Jon used a standalone E.Q. unit to color the sound.

I'm quite satisfied with it. Or at least the kemper'd version. I ran an ashley pqx para band after the gp for more eq options so i've got some pretty heavy stuff in there as well.

Now if only there was a pickup like the j50bc but tighter/less gritty.

This would significantly alter the sound of the GP-1000 to the better, but that's really something we'd like to avoid by modifying the unit, so we don't need any stompboxes or EQ's to get the "Bodom sound".

Drop B thing is not the sound we are aiming for at all, at least not me. But I know after fiddling a lot on the second EQ of my first edition clone that that sound could be had with a lot of knob fiddling. Could easily dial in some Metallica and Lamb of God tones with the second EQ. Too bad my unit have noise at he desired distortion setting :(

Furthermore, it is worldwide known that the Kemper unit adds a little bit of treble to the original capture, this could of course be turned back and EQed away a bit, but there will always be a little different than the original.

On some amps this is a good thing, but on a case like the GP-1000 where we are trying to take away the brittle treble and add lower mids instead it is not really ideal.

Here's a wee clip I made, using the files TWCC provided and marshall 1960 sm 57 and beyerdynamic m160 impulses, one track left, another track right, panned 100/100

lowpass at 16khz

sorry about the hiss, I really couldn't be bothered to do more post processing since it's a quick test

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't sound any better, so I guess I proved my point...

nope, it may not sound amazing, but it does sound better

you could have gotten a way better sound with other impulses, but those two were the only files I have on my computer

almost anything sounds better than a preamp without a cab

Took away all the harshness and added a lot of bass, but better? Well...let's wait and see what TWCC can dish up with hos setup now.

I agree on using reaper as recording software/program (DAW), it is free/cheap and have everything needed in this situation. It is not like they need a whole Protools setup just to lay down some guitartracks so we can get some clue how the clone sounds.

But when it comes to the vst and impulses you mention, they are okay when you not care about coloration of your sound, in this case, we'd like as pure sound as possible so that you could easily compare your stocK/modded GP-1000's without any extra processing.

I hope you've got firewire on your PC TWCC, because I think the external soundcard you borrowed only utilizes Firewire and not USB, but I could be wrong of course. And also you guys must google some good mic placement for capturing studio quality sound. I still have to learn this myself as I've just achieved my pair of first mics and external soundcard myself.

Also the reason his drop b thing sounded so different and modern (good to some ears, not mine) is because Jon used a standalone E.Q. unit to color the sound.

This would significantly alter the sound of the GP-1000 to the better, but that's really something we'd like to avoid by modifying the unit, so we don't need any stompboxes or EQ's to get the "Bodom sound".

Drop B thing is not the sound we are aiming for at all, at least not me. But I know after fiddling a lot on the second EQ of my first edition clone that that sound could be had with a lot of knob fiddling. Could easily dial in some Metallica and Lamb of God tones with the second EQ. Too bad my unit have noise at he desired distortion setting :(

Furthermore, it is worldwide known that the Kemper unit adds a little bit of treble to the original capture, this could of course be turned back and EQed away a bit, but there will always be a little different than the original.

On some amps this is a good thing, but on a case like the GP-1000 where we are trying to take away the brittle treble and add lower mids instead it is not really ideal.

What do you think a power amp and cab does? It colors the sound.

As far as the Kemper adding highs... :err:

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think a power amp and cab does? It colors the sound.

As far as the Kemper adding highs... :err:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7eFJ_8bCvw

Thats the point of the clone to have a GP-1000 mod to sound as Alexi's (I added some mods I wanted for myself as more mid options and second eq) with a 100% clone of the SP-1000 and the elements in the cabinets are relevant for modern Bodom (v30) and old bodom (75t) and thise could of course be simulated but it would be induvidual for everybody what they chooses. Any other influence as EQ and stompboxes should be unessisary. Intellifex could of course be included, but for most of the time Alexi uses it only for splitting the signal and hush in the old days.

I could hear more treble and bass about on the one minute mark, but there is no guarantee that this hasn't been EQed back and forth on the kemper??