LEE JACKSON GP-1000 88 replica for sale

Hey Guys,

i own a Jackson Stars RR-J2SP with a Jackson J50-BC and the stock EMG PA2 Booster. I finally bought the Lee Jackson GP-1000 and use it together with a Rocktron Velocity 120 and a 212 Cab with Celestion V30. I use Alexis Settings from Mitch, but the sound is very thick with a big low end and very little highs. It sounds completely different from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0NxxJ5rEJE

Is it just the gain modification that turns the Sound by 1000 or is something wrong with my preamp? Additionally, i think the middle and bass pot have no/very little function. Can some GP-1000 owners tell me, how they work on their amps?

Daniel

The GPSP has both gain and tone mods, bringing more mids/low mids and low end to the sound. Also the tone controls are pre gain meaning that they shape the structure of the gain it self rather than acting like standard tone controls, for example if you boost the bass knob you don't actually add lows to your tone, but rather you add low end to your gain structure, making it loose sounding. It's like the mesa mark series. Try setting your bass at 9 o;clock and boost the treble and put the mids at noon and experiment. What you hear in the video is very different from a standard unmodded Gp1000, which sounds like shit

Ah...video from the beginning...every missed note hurts my ears like hell...
Anyway...I wouldn't even try to reach this sound, because GP was used just like a "distortion pedal"...simply, you plug guitar to GP and connect Output 2 with Crate GT212's Input. Moreover, the eq on Crate was:
Low: 11
Mid: Full
High: 3 o'clock

So the tone of GP was significantly shaped by another amplifier.
I would suggest using some of those v9 videos for comparison.
And the tone is also changed with volume on your amp...for example, when I play in room at minimum volume, tone is not that sharp, but when you crank it up, it is like a chainsaw...
You can also use some other tubes or fiddle with the trim pot inside.

If this doesn't help, try changing things fron the chain: I would start with some other guitar(maybe PA2 is the problem). Then I would change the Velocity for something else.

And yes, those knobs are not making a big difference in sound...

So the GP1000 with GainMod will sound better? How can I make this mod? I can do it on my self probably...

Ive already experimented with the settings and it sounds very shitty at all...so I spent the money for THIS? :(

The PA2 will be replaced by a JE1000 clone soon.

Edit: What tubes you can recommend?

Of course modded GP sounds better. I'm not sure you if you can make these mods yourself. (not that easy)

Was it very expensive? About tubes...the most aggresive tubes for unmodded GP are probably russian Sovteks...they are very gainy, crunchy and with that warm feeling. But be aware of those cheap ones...they are definitely not worth buying. From what I've heard, 75% of them are returned back to sellers, because they don't work as they should.

You can also post here some soundclips or videos and maybe we will sort something out. Which JE clone are you going to buy?
Btw I would love to see your Jacksons! (if possible).

Hi,

sure, I have an old picture of my 4 Jackson/Charvel guitars. From left to right: RR3, without pickups, but it now has SD Blackouts in it; a USA DK1 with EMG 81/85; a Charvel San Dimas ProMod MIJ; and finally my beloved Jackson Stars RR-J2SP, I simply love this guitar. Great feel and in my opinion almost as good as the USA models. Sounds great. I replaced the stock EMG HZ H3 with an old Jackson J50BC, the EMG PA2 will be replaced by a Jackson JE1000, like said. I clone the JE1000 on my own, and it's almost done. Just don't have very much time right now.

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3770/79cx7wbv_jpg.htm

So, I will replace the tubes of the GP-1000. Can you give me a link or something? There are many Sovtek tubes and I don't know which one to choose. I'm from Germany if that matters.
I bought the preamp for around 330€, I thought it was a good price as it is very tricky to find. It was in use in a studio for 20 years and I'm the second owner now. The tubes were probably never changed...

I just thought that this preamp sounds very good because many guitarists in the 80s used it. Zakk Wylde used it before he changed his rig to a JCM800...maybe I should try it with a distortion pedal.

Which mods are applied in the replica? And could you tell me how they are made? I always thouth Alexi Laiho used just this preamp and had a gain mod in it.

Thank you :)
Daniel

Edit: Maybe replacing the tubes would help a lot - I just watched to some youtube videos of the GP1000 and they sound different from mine. Not with much gain, but my amp sounds very muffled and has no highs/attack.
Used the same settings as in the beginning of this video and it sounds completely different: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ksjBfivbo

Update: Just testet the GP1000 with the input and later with the poweramp of my TSL60 - and it sounds fucking AMAZING! So it comes all out of the Rocktron Velocity? A shame that I just sold my TSL60. I still have an JCM800 2203, but i definitely need a new poweramp to solve my 'problem'. But the tubes must be replaced too i think.

Hey,

They look pretty good! J2SP is the most beautiful Jackson ever, but totally impossible to find. Did you buy it from Jackson's Custom Shop?
Are you telling me that USA models are better than J2SP? How is that guitar priced?

Well, I used Sovtek 12AX7LPS - do not even try other type of Sovtek (read this http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Product-Reviews/12AX7-Tube-Reviews). Check ebay.de or ebay.com and find some with a good price. They are still cheap when you compare them to Groove Tubes (they cost me 23€ each from the bloody Thomann).

I'd probably buy these http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-NEW-Sovt...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c2abda306
But that's just my opinion.

GP sounds great and yes, many of those players used some dist or SD1 overdrive to kick it up a bit.

Mods are mentioned in this thread, you can search for it - they are described quite well and they also come with some soundchecks. But of course, we don't reveal what we changed(values, components, etc.). That's the meaning of our work.
I was hoping to get some recordings from recording of our studio album, but that got fucked up, because my band members wanted Mesa/Engl combination for that type of music...(yes, fuck me sideways).

I was already asked to sell information about mods, but why would I/we do that? The main part of this project is not money. We can hardly cover expenses for goods/materials...This is about making of something that is unique. The cost of fully modded GPSP should be more than 1000€ for what it is. You guys have probably no idea how much money and working hours were spent to get to this project to this level. Just sayin'...and all we need is time to get to the next level.
Alexi's GP has so many modifications...years of development...in the end, you have only a few parts that are still the same as in 88's original GP. (the next level)

Cheers to every patient soul - cheers to every one who is still with us:)
+ special greetings to our friend from Norway.

Hi,

the J2SP is a japanese model and cost around 1000€, i bought it from a japanese dealer just after it was discontinued.
The quality and playability of this guitar is awesome, my USA DK1 isn't much better, but a dream guitar too!

So, i ordered 3 Sovtek 12AX7 LBS for 40€ from a german dealer, i think thats okay. And tomorrow I'm gonna test an Engl 920 poweramp from a friend, hope this one sounds better than the shitty Velocity :)

FWIW....I have found that Groove Tube's have sounded better over the Sovtek's in my amp. Your results may vary.

I was suggesting the gainiest and the crunchiest tubes for original GP without mods. For me, Sovtek tubes are overkill of gain for fully modded GP.
You know, when GP is not that aggresive, you use more aggresive tubes like Sovtek, but when GP is very aggresive, you use something with more clarity (Groove Tubes) to not to overkill the sound with gain.

The gain mod Alexi has in his old GP's isn't perfected in the gpsp yet, at least to my knowledge. Its a very difficult process and involves chaning circuit paths just to get noisefree distortion from the existing tubes.

Hi,

I recently changed the tubes of the GP-1000 to the 12AX7 LPS from Sovtek, and it really sounds a bit better. The standard tubes from 88 were still built in as I changed them.
And i found a guy who will perform the gain mod from Lee Jackson for me (is the gain mod mentioned by Lee Jackson the same mod as Alexis and Roopes preamp have made?).
But I have to wait one or two weeks, because he isn't at home yet :(

This is the mod mentioned by Lee Jackson btw:
PERFECT CONNECTION GP-1000 PRE-AMP MODIFICATION: Change the cathode circuit on the first gain stage from 1.5k ohm/22uF to 825 ohm/.68uF. This mod gives a little extra gain and reduces the scratchy character of the distortion timbre.

This is more like an update, the latest gp1000 that were made had this, alexi and roope have alot of gain mods done to their units, but with some kind of booster it will sound ok

Hey Reapy. Yeah the thing with the old GP-1000's is that, without a boost it sounds like crap on distortion. Kinda like a Rectifier sounds all boomy and shitty without a tubescreamer.

So get a decent tubescreamer. A Digitech Bad Monkey is a lot of value for the Money and also has more EQ control than standard tubescreamers.

Here's what I do - I have an 87 modded to an 88 and checked by a tech (sometimes the wiring in those old GP-1000's can be a Little...interesting) that I run into a tube power amp and then crank it. The gp-1000 doesnt live unless it's cranked imo (to get those power tubes running...Im not that into solid state power amps with this pre)

What I have in front of the amp is the TC Electronics nova system - makes it all easy - I have a little mid-boost from the built in overdrive and I also have some EQ and a noise gate on.
The cool thing now is that I can have 3 channels so I have a dry rhythm channel, a solo channel and a clean channel with chorus and delay etc.
Makes this awesome but impractical amp really versatile and...practical!

It stands out, sits well in a mix and is easy to set up.

Hey Reapy. Yeah the thing with the old GP-1000's is that, without a boost it sounds like crap on distortion. Kinda like a Rectifier sounds all boomy and shitty without a tubescreamer.

So get a decent tubescreamer. A Digitech Bad Monkey is a lot of value for the Money and also has more EQ control than standard tubescreamers.

Here's what I do - I have an 87 modded to an 88 and checked by a tech (sometimes the wiring in those old GP-1000's can be a Little...interesting) that I run into a tube power amp and then crank it. The gp-1000 doesnt live unless it's cranked imo (to get those power tubes running...Im not that into solid state power amps with this pre)

What I have in front of the amp is the TC Electronics nova system - makes it all easy - I have a little mid-boost from the built in overdrive and I also have some EQ and a noise gate on.
The cool thing now is that I can have 3 channels so I have a dry rhythm channel, a solo channel and a clean channel with chorus and delay etc.
Makes this awesome but impractical amp really versatile and...practical!

It stands out, sits well in a mix and is easy to set up.

If you manage to get a overdrive pedal that doesn't get too noisy when cranking the drive a bit, then you could actually get very close to Alexis setup with a cranked power amp. (with JE-1000 too). The only thing missing then would be the bass increase on the later GP albums and a good chunk of low mid boost which could be provided by a really good EQ. My boss EQ7 isn't good enough to get it right. But almost. So my GPSP setup is still the closest I've been (through a 4x12 cabinet miced with a SM57 slightly off axis. but direct on speaker cone). You can't expect to get the Bodom sound "in room". Too many aspects of mixingboard and PA/preamp and DAW variations.

This project haven't been in further development for a year now. I'm actually thinking of placing a personal order for a modification from the tech himself in the new year on my 88. Sold my 87 to Brazil a couple of months ago. 400E plus shipping both ways is the price to get it done. That is for a high gain/distortion model with few changes in tone stack. Wouldn't be the same as Alexi's, but I could reverse engineer it to get to his specs. The thing is TWCC and RR didn't manage to get it noise free when it is gets overdriven. And it needs even more distortion. I know how to get the distortion, but the noise is unbearable. Tech said that a split in the whole 2 gain-stage is needed so that there is a definitive clean and distortion channel. The AYDY mod is pretty much perfect bass wise so I got that covered. Also wish that the guys really did manage to add a gainstage for the second EQ/more distortion. But no communication back from either in a long while.