Left Hand Path Bass Tone

Delitzsch

Führendes Mitglied
Dec 14, 2013
Looking to get that growling bass tone from that Entombed album. Any clues at to what was used on that album or any suggestions for getting close?

Well, I can get my hands on a Rat pedal. I do hear the guitars, but the bass has a distinct sound of it's own apart from the guitars. I'll experiment around, but was wondering if anyone had knowledge that could point me in the right direction.

I don't find the bass tone THAT growling in Left Hand Path, in fact compared to the HM2 it sounds surprinsingly clear (which IMHO is qui te a part in the overall feel as it stands out of the mix more than if it were more distorted and blended with the guitars!
Anyway, I find it quite similat to the bass tone in Autopsy's Severed Survival,, even if this one is more distorted and a little deeper sounding too, so you could maybe try to find infos on their setup too!

If you find anything about either of these tones, I'd be really interested in it though, as looking for infos mainly ends up as "they had no clue what they were doing"...

I don't find the bass tone THAT growling in Left Hand Path, in fact compared to the HM2 it sounds surprinsingly clear (which IMHO is qui te a part in the overall feel as it stands out of the mix more than if it were more distorted and blended with the guitars!
Anyway, I find it quite similat to the bass tone in Autopsy's Severed Survival,, even if this one is more distorted and a little deeper sounding too, so you could maybe try to find infos on their setup too!

If you find anything about either of these tones, I'd be really interested in it though, as looking for infos mainly ends up as "they had no clue what they were doing"...
Steve's tone on that Autopsy album is completely different. It's clanky and sits too far on top of the mix. LHP bass definitely has some hair on it. It meshes with the mix well, but you can still hear that growl especially on the lower notes. I borrowed a Rat pedal, so I'm going to see if that blended with the DI will get me close.

If anyone else has any tips, please feel free to share.

Ended up cranking an SVT through a 4x10 ENGL bass cab. Turned out really good. Blended it in with the DI and after some EQ, compression and saturation it sounds really close to LHP. Putting this information out there in case someone else stumbles upon this post, looking for the first Entombed bass tone.

Welll in my opinion the difference is mostly in the way it is balanced with the other instruments ts, as obviously on Severed the bass is far louder in the mix!
Anyway happy to see you found what you were looking for!

Reactions: Delitzsch
Its possible they're using the white face rat, similar to the one used by Jonas from At The Gates, they used a lot more of the low in the signal.