Lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.

flying_whale

Rome 64 C.E.
May 17, 2006
Seattle,Wa
www.myspace.com
So, did any of you take guitar lessons? Just wondering.
I took for 2 months lessons from a friend to get me started, and since then I'm self taught, but i still suck none the less.

P.S.
Steve, when you start your internet lesson thingy, you can be sure that i will be your student in the art of shredding.
I got tired of being alone by myself with my guitar, so i think that until i take lessons the only thing i can study is learning solos and getting my alternate picking skill up a little.

Took a class in school where I basically sat around and worked on something I found amusing while the other people were learning the difference between a G and an A chord. Took four private lessons with the same guy a while later, considering going back to get a different perspective on improvisation, but I must say that I learned more from John Petrucci's Rock Discipline than anything else.

Jeff

lordofthesewers said:
is rock discipline just a book that shows licks and arpeggios or has some text along with the licks explaining the theory behind the licks, phrasing and soloing strategies he uses?

Rock Discipline is a DVD/VHS/book. It's not really about what you said, it's more just showing you licks/fragments to use in solos. He goes through a few techniques used for fast playing (alt picking. legato, sweep picking). There's also a section on extended chords and how you can use them. I'm pretty certian you'd find it very informative.

Rock Discipline is more about developing the ability to learn and develop more efficiently, it's not a lick book/video (which I think are bloody useless) and it's less basic than, say, the Stetina series (and doesn't assume total stupidity in any of its parts, which is nice). There's some theory in there, and two transcribed solos, but it comes down to learning new ways of constructing and improvising solos and the material he plays clarifies how one goes about doing that instead of just showing off.

Jeff

Was self taught until about 3 years ago. Then I took lessons from Steve for about 1 1/2 or 2 years until he stopped doing live lessons.

i taught myself. what pushed me was listening and watching the people who inspired me to pick up the guitar "dime and kirk hammett", then when jeff came into the picture, i was pushed more.

thought it would be a plus to take lessons, always something to learn

Kirk hammett is the reason i originally picked up the guitar. Now since i got into nevermore and necrophagist i'm even more inspired to play, and to be good and get some lessons from somenoe really godlike like steve for example

I studied clasical cello for five years before I switched to guitar.
Then I worked with a jazz/blues teacher for a couple of years.
Knowing some theory makes it all a lot easier.

Hey Everybody!
Well, this online lesson plan is coming up pretty soon( I'm planning on within the next 2 weeks, hell or high water, and i'll let all of you know every way I can when it's ready).
Problem is we have_ to finish this album first( damn people and their schedules!:lol: ), and until I can get this thing done, I couldn't devote the time I need to getting going on teaching again. Update coming later today; I'll explain where things are real soon.:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

That sounds good Steve. Can you give a brief explanation of how the lesson will work? I mean, is it all tabbed, any sound files, etc.

I can't wait! :headbang: I am really getting back into playing and am really excited. Plus I just ordered my C7 and this would be timed perfectly.

BTW, not kissing ass here, just stating the obvious, You Rock Man! Thanks for your hard work.:worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.