let's get LOUD!

timislegend

Jun 8, 2010
:popcorn:

i don't want to start a war here... but i am trying to find an excellent limiter.

i know how to edit/arrange/mix... i also understand dithering and limiting.

just new to mastering :bah: ... so i guess what i am searching for is an awesome limiter that can smack the f**k out of my well mixed sessions.

i will be applying mutiband compression/some eq and possibly m/s if it needs it.

let's get LOUD suckas! ... as a matter of fact lets get as loud as we can! (right before the point of digital distortion). the worst thing that could happen: it will sound like poop. :zzz: the best thing that could happen: it will sound loud! :D

if this is not up your ally... don't comment. :Smug:

Slate Digital FG-X. Absolutely kills, and you'll notice you have to do less processing prior to it because it doesn't color mixes as much as other comp/limiter combos do. As long as you put a well balanced mix into it, you should be able to get it plenty loud and retain a huge amount of punch that gets lost with other clippers/limiters.

Gclip. And it's free. It was mentioned in "getting your loudness" (which needs to be required reading around here) and has become a staple of a lot of people around here (including myself).

just tried "clipper" and "gclip"

these are pretty rough. :erk: it's pretty much audible distortion amongst the entire signal path.

i wonder how interested y'all would be if i were to design a more precise loudness maximizer/clipper?

i have a lot of programming experience and i would be able to use the dev team at my work for tooling.

nothing fancy... just a simple loudness maximizer that won't square wave the f**k out of your masters.

who's interested?

I think you should post your mix and let people help you analyze it. The FG-X is a pretty sophisticated beast of an algorithm.

i wonder how interested y'all would be if i were to design a more precise loudness maximizer/clipper?

i have a lot of programming experience and i would be able to use the dev team at my work for tooling.

nothing fancy... just a simple loudness maximizer that won't square wave the f**k out of your masters.
If you can build a better mouse trap... go for it. Straight up clipping a plug can be a little harsh if your going for to much. Clipping a good AD like a Burl B2 bomber, Mytek, or Lavry Gold on the other hand can be more forgiving and sound better imo/e. Every limiter/clipper sounds a bit different.

If GClip is audibly distorting, you've got it working too hard. Turn down the input gain, raise the threshold a bit, and give the softness a nudge.

just tried "clipper" and "gclip"

these are pretty rough. :erk: it's pretty much audible distortion amongst the entire signal path.

who's interested?

This is a red light.. GClip should be able to push pretty far before audibley distorting... so either you are trying to go waaaay to far or your mix has some issues.. I'd post it so people can help you.

Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg

And if you would have actually READ the "getting your loudness" thread which was suggested to you, you would have seen Slate's suggestions for using gclip in combination with a compressor and limiter...and doing it correctly. Really...that thread needs to be required reading around here, after which a test should be given to make sure people actually read it. I've lost count of how many times I've reposted his advice from that thread for people that are too lazy to actually go through the thread and find it themselves.

Ozone.

Clipping shouldn't sound like a distorted mess unless your mix is seriously unbalanced. You can usually push things pretty extreme with a clipper before actually hearing the clipping, it's usually only chopping off extremely short transient spikes, not clipping the actual body of the mix...