Lets kill Slatanictrash

Well It is a little bit. gaelic is a local language. it's not a trade language. if i want to speak german I'll learn standard german, not the swabian dialect. and someone learning to speak english will learn either standard english or amarican midlands english. can you imagine someone from germany, we'll say, learning to speak appalachian english ? it's a local dialect. what it does is it identifys the speaker with a certan geographical/cultural group. the german has no relationship with the appalachian culture and it would seem like he is trying to artificially endear himself to them. by the same token, i have no real relationship with the scots, so it somehow seems wrong for me to try to force my way into the culture. especially since the only real reason that i would speak it is that i have romanticized it into some form of arcane lore of my suposed 'Warrior forefathers of Alba, who drove out Richard Longshanks a la the profoundly inacurate-though-badass braveheart film' I was neither born nor raised there. what right do I have to their tongue? It'd be like me showing up in scotland saying, " hey, I'm an American who has nothing to do with you guys at all! but look, i know this cool trick, i can say some stuff the same way you do! Isn't that cool? Aren't I great? well! that should be enough, go ahead accept me into your group now.

so you see, I suffer from untraveled american syndrome. maybe I've just been trained to be ashamed of being american, I don't really know. but, this is what imigration does. it strips away all of the depth of culture and in America reduces everything to a shallow melting pot. all that is old and deep is cast aside as old-fassioned or passe, or it gets transmorgified before its roots can grow deep. I can turn to nothing that is really old, and I feel cheated and robbed.

A question for you and siobhan on this topic. Do I really have any right to learn your language? I'm American as all hell, and have no relationship to scotland or ireland aside from my great grandparents. I mean i think(although I'm not sure) that if someone from England/Ireland showed up in Greenville or Boone and started speaking in high southern like my grandmother or my great uncle I might think "why the hell is this fool speaking like that?" I personally hate the public use of it and only use it when I'm around my extended family on holidays.

By 'our language' do you mean the Scottish dialect or Gaelic? By any means anyone has as much right at the next person, it's not like it's offensive, I like people being interested in the Scottish heritage/culture. I'd love to learn Gaelic but shit is complex and I suppose with "Scottish" the dialect changes from place to place. "Ye ken like?" isn't something you'd hear someone from Glasgow saying, although I still say it because I fucking adore it haha.

A question for you and siobhan on this topic. Do I really have any right to learn your language? I'm American as all hell, and have no relationship to scotland or ireland aside from my great grandparents. I mean i think(although I'm not sure) that if someone from England/Ireland showed up in Greenville or Boone and started speaking in high southern like my grandmother or my great uncle I might think "why the hell is this fool speaking like that?" I personally hate the public use of it and only use it when I'm around my extended family on holidays.

Honestly, I don't see why not

It's a bugger of a lanuage to learn though, but it may come in handy if you were ever to come to Scotalnd and tour the highlands where all the raod signs are in both Gaelic and English, but it sure would be fun saying "Hey I know what that says".

If you are genuinely interested in learning the lanuage I would say go for it and besides it would help you to understand what Runrig are signing about when you are listening to songs that they are signing in Gaelic

That song is in Gaelic

And this is one of the best songs that they play

I hope you did enjoy it

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fucking Loch Lomond, best way to end a party.
Cannae really appreciate it if you haven't been to a true Scottish pish up, where everyone is too drunk to go into the circles in time so we all just link arms and do a circular wall of death hahaha.

Fucking Loch Lomond, best way to end a party.
Cannae really appreciate it if you haven't been to a true Scottish pish up, where everyone is too drunk to go into the circles in time so we all just link arms and do a circular wall of death hahaha.

Haha thats true

But it's a bloody good song and yet it's a sad heartbreaker of a song as well

Even when I think of the story behind the song it makes my blood run cold and I feel ever so sad.