Let's talk about Neurosis albums

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Any Neurosis fans here? I've been playing their A Sun That Never Sets disc on repeat for the past couple of months now. I have never really explored their earlier, more 'classic' material, so I'd appreciate if anyone's willing to share their thoughts on how A Sun That Never Sets compares to the albums that precede it. I'd also appreciate comments rather than links to their songs, as it should be obvious to you that I'm seeking some sort of human dialogue.

Also, has anyone heard their last album? How have they evolved in recent years in your opinion? I've recently picked up The Eye of Every Storm and am having a hard time fully grasping it. Even though it's the album that directly followed A Sun That Never Sets, there's something about it that I can't put my finger on it.

Any comments?

Stick with The Eye of Every Storm, it's my favourite Neurosis album and a definite grower. As far as the earlier albums go Enemy of the Sun is worth listening to; it's a little cruder than their later material, but the atmosphere is intense and the riff work sludgier and harder hitting. Souls At Zero is also supposed to be pretty awesome, but I haven't explored it as much as their later albums.

Honour Found in Decay (the most recent album) is good, but not quite up to the standard of their best work. The first three/four tracks are killer, but it begins to lose force after that. Hopefully Fires Within Fires will be a return to form.