Lets talk AxeFX, Considering it as a tool for my studio.

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
So ...

The new album I am working on is all AxFX, I am really digging the tones on this thing. It is extremely convincing. I am considering buying one for "in studio" use. Being a tube guy its pretty shocking for me to be interested in something like this but i think it could be of great use in the my studio.

What do you guys think of it?
Anyone have one and not like it?

I had one, didn't like it, have tried to get back into it since it'd be an amazing tool to have around... just doesn't cut it, IMO. For thick, saturated tones (KsE-style), it has this overriding wash and digitalness to it. Sounds fairly static and inorganic, regardless of impulses/settings.

I disagree very much with Jeff. I still have mine but I will say: I don't think it's as straightforward as an amp. Don't think you can go in and dial the first thing/translate whatever you dial into an amp into the Axe, and expect to get instant results. It's a tweak monster but that flexibility is there for a reason. For clean sounds I am absolutely sorted, for high gain i've recently made greater steps to achieve what I want. IMO if you have it you really need to go out and invest in the external impulses like the RedWirez to fully benefit from the unit. I've played through one with the other impulses and some of them sound so much better than the stock. A lot of people call them the 'Djent-FX' but that's only because Bulb was like the first musician in the 'metal' scene to really take it and do something with it. It wasn't designed for bulb, there are plenty of ways to get less honky tones. It's so versatile and it will continue to be as new software/amp sims and upgrades continue. I think it's about time Fractal released some information on their next physical upgrade so maybe it would be better to wait. Saying that i'm clinging onto the fact that one day my first gen might become vintage :p. If you aren't convinced go on the fractal audio forum and browse through the library of information and recordings that's on there to really know what you're getting yourself into. Hell, even download the pdf manual and read through some of the features. If you are skeptical about then you really need to play it and see how it feels but if you are happy with hearing the results other people have been getting then, like me, that's more than enough. Another thing I noticed is that, it really brings out the character of the guitar in the tone when you dial in with it. It's not like a POD which feels processed, i think (contrary to Jeff) that it does feel very organic. If you have any questions then PM me man.

I had one for about a year and really dug the way the way it sounded, but I'm such an idiot with editing via menus that I eventually had to dump it because I simply couldn't make it sound as good as a real amp without significant hair pulling on my end. It wasn't because of the limitations of the unit, but more my inability to do anything aside from twist knobs to get a decent guitar tone. (Actually - one VERY big knock against the AxeFX is that the Mac-based AxeFX editor is fucking TERRIBLE! The biggest piece of shit software I've ever used. If you think you can use the Mac based editor to program the Axe, think again).

That being said, if you can program via menus, I honestly believe there is nothing aside from a LARGE collection of tube amps that comes anywhere near the AxeFX tones for anywhere near the price. Oh yeah - and don't forget - you can use it as an INCREDIBLE effects processor in front of a real amp too. The thing is REALLY versatile. It comes REALLY close to sounding like a real amp, with a real cab, and a real mic. I'd be willing to say 99% of the way there in some instances, and 100% of the way there in others.

Bobby

I disagree very much with Jeff... i think (contrary to Jeff) that it does feel very organic. If you have any questions then PM me man.

It feels super organic, I'll say that - it feels just like an amp, and the lead/clean tones are bar-none.

For heavy, distorted rhythm tones that aren't djenty, I still have yet to hear any clip that does it really well. I'd love for you to prove me wrong, and I've posted threads quite recently asking people to do so, including having my own tracks reamped and testing them in a mix. It's always the same in the end... static, inorganic sounding (not feeling), digital high-midrange wash, and either an artificially excited top end or a dull, woofy one.

For the AxeFX to be useful for me, I need it to replace a mic'd amp, since I'll always reamp for a final product anyways and I only use my POD to track with. Since it doesn't beat a mic'd amp, I can't justify dropping 2k on a glorified POD.

Some people get on well with the tone of the AxeFX - I find these are people who generally aren't into the usual Sneap-esque, ultra-saturated, thick, low-middy guitar tones.

rlcramer: They've updated the software since then man. It's a lot better now but I can't get my unit to sync properly and update to the latest firmware because i get a 'bad checksum error' they really need to employ a USB or firewire connectivity method to it.

Jeff: I totally understand man, I am honestly a bit of both. I like the Djenty sound but i'm after the warmth of a tube as well, which is probably why it's taking so long. I think i'll get there. I guess it just isn't for everyone, but at least you can appreciate it a bit for what it is!

I keep hearing that you can't just use it out of the box, you've got to tweak the daylights out of it in order to make it sound good. I find this perplexing. If this same issue is posted on just about every forum then why don't they do something about it?

This is SOOO true!!!

I have been having arguments over there over AxeFX vs 5150 / Mesa for a week ...lol

The new thing over there is those Black Machine guitars and the Engl 530 such fanbois they are, but I have friends there so its why I go.....lol

FYI SS.org = Sevenstring.org

:lol: Yeah, it seems the two boards have their differences on a lot of things, but both can offer a good amount of information. Obviously each board has its own type of "fan boys" about certain things and techniques :lol:

It's always the same in the end... static, inorganic sounding (not feeling), digital high-midrange wash, and either an artificially excited top end or a dull, woofy one.

For the AxeFX to be useful for me, I need it to replace a mic'd amp, since I'll always reamp for a final product anyways and I only use my POD to track with. Since it doesn't beat a mic'd amp, I can't justify dropping 2k on a glorified POD.

Some people get on well with the tone of the AxeFX - I find these are people who generally aren't into the usual Sneap-esque, ultra-saturated, thick, low-middy guitar tones.

I had one, didn't like it, have tried to get back into it since it'd be an amazing tool to have around... just doesn't cut it, IMO. For thick, saturated tones (KsE-style), it has this overriding wash and digitalness to it. Sounds fairly static and inorganic, regardless of impulses/settings.

I've definitely gotta agree on these points you've made.

So ...

The new album I am working on is all AxFX, I am really digging the tones on this thing. It is extremely convincing. I am considering buying one for "in studio" use. Being a tube guy its pretty shocking for me to be interested in something like this but i think it could be of great use in the my studio.

What do you guys think of it?
Anyone have one and not like it?

If you're digging the tones just get one. It will be a better addition to your studio rather than getting a one trick pony amp.

Kind of what Ola said. While I PERSONALLY wouldn't use an AXE fx, if you're doing mixing quite often with tracking etc, maybe its best to have on board for the people you record instead of yourself?

I agree with Jeff whole heartedly though. I don't think the AXE does the super staurated low mid tone that most on the forum use. I know you can say, "Well then it doesn't follow the usual crap rah rah" but those tones are generally desired and fit most of the music we mix on here. If it's going to copy a tone, it SHOULD be able to do it very well for that price, but like Jeff said, it just doesn't cut it for those tones.

In my searches and endevours it still manages to fail sometimes at the super dry stuff too IMO. I've heard a lot of Mark series patches and it still doesnt have a sweet mid, it still has that weird honky sound if it makes sense? And you notice it more on models like the Mesa Mark IV simply due to the extreme mid nature of the amp.

But hey, again, it's a great tool!