Let's talk interfaces

HCL

Holy Crap! Lions!
Jul 13, 2010
Plymouth, UK
My search for a replacement firewire board on my 2626 is proving completely fruitless so I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and get a replacement unit. What are you guys using? What would you recommend under £600?

I get a ton of noise with the Blackjack USB that I've been using as a stopgap so firewire is definitely something I'd prefer to use, despite the issues I've had with accidental hotplugging. I would assume that the noise is from the bus power though so perhaps an externally powered usb unit wouldn't suffer from the same issues?

I haven't seen a general discussion thread on this for a while before someone says to search, I have. I'm keen to hear peoples opinions in 2014.

I'm having 2626 too and I don't have any complains about it in it's working abilities.
I was going to get FOCUSRITE SAFFIRE PRO 40 (it has better mic preamps, but overall similar to 2626), but caught killer deal for 2626.

P.S. if you are going to get rid of your 2626, maybe I could get your brakeout cable for MIDI? Previous owner screwed me over saying it will be included, but it wasn't and he ignored my messages. I have midi-usb cable, but I'd prefer to have midi through 2626.

I'm having 2626 too and I don't have any complains about it in it's working abilities.
I was going to get FOCUSRITE SAFFIRE PRO 40 (it has better mic preamps, but overall similar to 2626), but caught killer deal for 2626.

P.S. if you are going to get rid of your 2626, maybe I could get your brakeout cable for MIDI? Previous owner screwed me over saying it will be included, but it wasn't and he ignored my messages. I have midi-usb cable, but I'd prefer to have midi through 2626.

If I can't get it fixed or fix it myself I'll probably try using it as an ADAT expansion if that'll work. The unit itself works fine, pre's still work, it just doesn't connect to anything with the firewire. It basically needs a new fw board but finding one is proving insanely difficult.

I just searched if there is a place or someone selling parts for 2626. But I couldn't find, except that site.
Dunno, maybe someone here could help out with breakout cable hunting.

MOTU 8Pre. Get one of the older ones that supports firewire if you're dead set on firewire. I use the USB2 MOTU 8Pre with no problems. I'm on Windows.

Speaking of firewire interfaces, does anybody know a good firewire pci card that works on a hackintosh?

just orderd myself a audient id22, should fit your price-range... i think you would still be able to use the 2626 over adat into the id22 to increase the avaiable mic pres?