Let's talk wireless in-ear monitors

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
I don't want this to be about advantages/disadvantages, bad idea etc etc.

So we are going full in-ears later in the year. Why? Venue sound is the worst. Right now we have the shittiest of shit Galaxys that give us a click, some backing tracks and some drums but we still rely on wedges, so we have buds that have a lot of bleed to hear both. They are fucking terrible for any sort of full range sounds. Obvious.

I've been looking at some models. shure psm400/700 (used) and Sennhesier G2/G3's (used)

I will have my own separate channel and the other 3 guys will be on the same (drummer has his own wired setup)

Then there's the in-ear buds: JH, weston, UE, shure, single/dual/triple drivers etc. It sucks not being able to try a pair. They will be custom molded of course.

For those curious about how we plan on doing this every night: We won't be relying on a half-drunk FOH 'engineer' but the system will be ran by us with a MOTU 828mk3 w/ digimax. Set-up time will be extremely quick: guitars are direct w/ impulses, bddi for bass, spdif for the keys, drum triggers, then split the 3 front mics with a small stage splitter. Everything sits in a rack next to the drummer. We can automate the MOTU software (cue mix) via MIDI from reaper if needed...

But what if something breaks?!?1 Oh well. :lol:

As far as the buds go, future sonics are the best I've used. Atrios (their cheap version; I dread to think how good their high end stuff is).

As far as the buds go, future sonics are the best I've used. Atrios (their cheap version; I dread to think how good their high end stuff is).

So I've been reading up on them, for 150 bucks you can custom molded sleeves. :eek:

I read they have lots of deep bass but missing the highs. How do you feel about this?

I've been looking at some models. shure psm400/700 (used) and Sennhesier G2/G3's (used)

If you are buying used make 100% certain that the systems aren't in the 700mhz band (698mhz to 806mhz). Not only are they now illegal, but we'll soon start seeing devices from AT&T and Verizon popping up in those bands as they expand their networks. You don't want everyone at the venue with cell phones on those networks causing your IEMs to act up.

You will find lots of 700mhz systems on Craigslist and eBay...avoid 'em. The PSM400 system was available in bands HF (722mhz to 746mhz) and X1 (944mhz to 952mhz). The PSM700 systems were available in H3, L2, and HF. Avoid HF in either system.

If you are buying used make 100% certain that the systems aren't in the 700mhz band (698mhz to 806mhz). Not only are they now illegal, but we'll soon start seeing devices from AT&T and Verizon popping up in those bands as they expand their networks. You don't want everyone at the venue with cell phones on those networks causing your IEMs to act up.

You will find lots of 700mhz systems on Craigslist and eBay...avoid 'em. The PSM400 system was available in bands HF (722mhz to 746mhz) and X1 (944mhz to 952mhz). The PSM700 systems were available in H3, L2, and HF. Avoid HF in either system.

Correct. It sucks because they are going for soooo cheap haha. It's weird because it's illegal to sell them apparently?

So I've been reading up on them, for 150 bucks you can custom molded sleeves. :eek:

I read they have lots of deep bass but missing the highs. How do you feel about this?

They are at the warmer end of things. I didnt feel that I was missing anything, though. I never got moulded inserts, and just used some shure tips from my E4s that I thought allowed a better/brighter balance.

They are at the warmer end of things. I didnt feel that I was missing anything, though. I never got moulded inserts, and just used some shure tips from my E4s that I thought allowed a better/brighter balance.

Very cool, I'll probably end up getting a pair based on what I've read but I think I'll end up with a pair of 1964 ears triple or quads.

http://1964ears.com/

we are all all using sennheiser in-ear monitors (g1 and g2) with axe-fx straight into our mixer and splitted for the foh. everything is packed into one single 19" rack. no carrying around of heavy amps or cabinets anymore. we love it and will never go back.
if something breaks you are fucked of course but if an amp breaks you are fucked, too....

we are all all using sennheiser in-ear monitors (g1 and g2) with axe-fx straight into our mixer and splitted for the foh. everything is packed into one single 19" rack. no carrying around of heavy amps or cabinets anymore. we love it and will never go back.
if something breaks you are fucked of course but if an amp breaks you are fucked, too....

I eventually want to go down this route once I can justify dropping the tubes :loco:

ultimate ears make really good iem if you can spare the dough

I looking at the UE4's but decided on the 1964's

Has anyone really tried any triple/quad drivers VS dual driver?

Better low range and not necessarily more of it from my understanding. I wish I could try out a bunch before buying.