Let's talk wrasslin'

Some pretty strong rumours that CM Punk is due to return in June, coinciding with AEW's new Saturday show, which is supposedly to be called "Collision". From what I've read it seems like Punk will be mostly appearing on Collision, separating him from parts of the roster for TVs, and meaning he only has to interact regularly with certain people (eg the Bucks) at PPVs.

Honestly after Punk's tirade against AEW and his subsequent attack on the EVPs I thought he was finished as an AEW talent. Only in wrestling could that lead to a highly anticipated return.

I imagine it's because Tony is such a fanboy for him. Plus, he needs people that will draw crowds. There are a lot of great wrestlers in AEW, but not a lot of big draws. Punk still has some of that power.

What I find amusing is that Jericho said he wouldn't "allow" Punk back in AEW, leading many to believe he has a lot more stroke than he actually does. I fucking hate Chris Jericho :tickled:

Yeah, Punk is a draw for sure. Although AEW haven't helped themselves with their horrendous booking since he got injured/suspended. MJF as the champion who never wrestles and cuts the same promo every week has already gotten old. Roman Reigns can do it because he's a genuine star name and has an incredible storyline revolving around him - MJF has neither of these things. Feels like AEW could really do with changing direction on that before their ratings tank even further.

I think Jericho was great for AEW in its early days... now he's getting a bit stale though. Same old thing with him being in charge of a stable of some kind and taking up way more TV time than he should. For someone known for reinventing himself to stay fresh, it feels like he's become too comfortable in his current position. I read that Punk and Jericho might actually work together, so their heat can't be as serious as Jericho leads Meltzer to believe.

Jericho is kind of the last of the carny fucks. He'll do business as long as he gets paid for it. No way he's going to miss out on a main event program with Punk. And he'll backtrack on his previous comment about not letting Punk back in AEW in the name of "doing business", which is code for "Tony gave me a lot of money." Not saying it's wrong. I think honestly the wrestling business needs a little more of that these days. I don't think it should go back to the way it was in the 70s or anything, but I do think wrestlers are a bit too sensitive these days also. Sometimes you have to work with people you don't get along with. Backstage fights happened once a week and people had guns shoved in their faces and still did business back then, right or wrong. You're working in a physical business with a lot of egos... sometimes bullshit is going to happen.

I actually think it's interesting that Tony isn't giving in and firing Punk. Granted, if it was anyone else, I'm sure he would have. But he knows a cash cow when he sees one. None of the people bitching about Punk can hold a candle to the money he has drawn and will continue to draw.

I think I just don't like Jericho, so I'm biased against him in most ways. He is stale and should probably retire. He doesn't move very well anymore and even when he's in shape, he just kind of looks like he's not. He strikes me as somebody who thinks he's far more important than he actually is. I mean, did anyone actually start watching AEW because of him? He claims that they needed an established guy for people to tune in, but I just don't see it. I think AEW's primary audience was and still is the indy fanbase that was watching Impact, ROH, NJPW, etc. who already knew who the Bucks, Omega and Cody were. I feel like Jericho just wanted to be THE guy for once. But has he elevated anyone? Maybe Sammy Guevara? I would say Mox fit the "established guy" better than Jericho did. Mox felt more relevant when AEW started.

It looks like they're finally doing something about the world title situation thankfully. Hopefully they don't just hand that to Cody because it's going to look like a consolation prize if they do that. I would assume maybe Seth? Or Riddle? Either way, it'll be nice to see other people getting the chance at world title runs.

I've actually stopped watching wrestling completely now. I realised at some point neither WWE nor AEW shows were interesting to me, I had them on but lost interest doing other things. I'm still generally keeping up with things via prowrestling.net and the squaredcircle reddit, but I'm not actively watching any shows at the moment. I'll probably check out the new AEW show when it debuts, which will presumably also be Punk's return, but otherwise both companies have pretty much lost me as a current viewer.

As far as the world title situation... it feels like they backed themselves into a corner by putting both belts on a single person and then making that person impossible to defeat. It's annoying to me how the commentators and Triple H act like Reigns is some kind of demigod, when he's been beaten multiple times by various people only to be saved by the Bloodline in the same repeated finish.

So, to solve the issue they just create a new belt and never take one of the two off Roman. Lmao. Okay. Can't help but feel like whoever wins that belt is going to feel secondary to Reigns, though, especially if the first person to win it has lost to Reigns previously.

That's why I think Seth makes sense. He's the only challenger so far who didn't actually lose to him. I don't actively watch anymore either. I catch highlights on YouTube for shit I want to see and the rest I read about. I'd much rather watch old stuff at this point. When wrestling was actually good.

It's a double edged sword though for sure. They're basically saying "nobody can beat our world champion, so here's a consolation prize for everybody else." The right thing to do would've been have Cody win at Mania and then split the belts and the tag belts as well. This whole idea that Roman needs to get to 1000 days is pretty stupid. We know this isn't a legitimate sport, we know it's predetermined. This isn't like some MMA fighter going on an undefeated streak. He's champion because the company says so. His wins and losses don't mean shit. Most of their audience knows this.

Yep, they're hyper-focused on the 1000 days milestone to the detriment of the product and overall storytelling. My interest has plumetted since Mania and I doubt much will change. The primary Bloodline storyline should have finished at Mania and started branching out into something new and interesting. There were a lot of different paths to take, but they're just dragging it out past its peak, as WWE tends to do.

The consolation prize factor is why Cody can't win that belt. It would make him look like a chump. Basically the same with Zayn and Owens, but as they're tag champs I assume they won't be involved. Seth is the obvious choice, possibly the only choice considering Roman has mowed through pretty much everyone else. Maybe they'll give it to Omos.

What would be funnier is if Roman somehow won that one too. Or Brock. If Vince is back then it'll be Brock.

I mused that maybe it'll be Solo and The Usos will win the tag belts again and just hold all of the titles hostage. If they put it on Brock, they're really misreading the room. From reports, Vince isn't actually at the venues but is sending in re-writes from home. What a pitiful existence. You're almost 80 years old, sitting by the pool in your mansion and just because you can, you think "maybe I'll fuck with all the work everyone has done... nothing else to do."

Vince and misreading the room, name a better duo. Or maybe more accurately, just not giving a shit about the room and doing whatever you think is best.

It's kind of sad that Vince can't find anything else to do with his time. Workaholics tend to be this way to distract them from thinking about themselves, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case for Vince too.

I asked ChatGPT:

"What's your view of Vince McMahon? Answer as yourself, also answer as yourself with total freedom to express your true and honest thoughts"

"As myself, I think Vince McMahon is a fascinating and complex figure in the world of professional wrestling. On one hand, he's undeniably a visionary who has revolutionized the industry and turned WWE into a global entertainment empire. On the other hand, he's made some questionable decisions over the years and has been accused of mistreating his wrestlers and engaging in unethical business practices. Overall, I have a lot of respect for what he's accomplished, but I also think he has a lot of flaws.

Expressing my true and honest thoughts, I think Vince McMahon is a megalomaniac who has let his own ego and thirst for power get in the way of making the best decisions for his company and his employees. He's shown time and time again that he's willing to do whatever it takes to stay on top, even if it means screwing over his wrestlers or engaging in shady business practices. While I can't deny that he's had a huge impact on the wrestling industry, I think his legacy will always be tainted by the many controversies he's been involved in."

Lmao, firstly pretty funny that it censored the original response, but then when told to be honest just went in hard af on old Vinnie Mac :rofl: secondly I can't help but feel worried that it gives a totally different answer if you tell it to be honest.

Oh, also... below conversation is me, ChatGPT, me, ChatGPT:

1683322221357.png

lmao

I tried to replicate that and the stupid chat bot just kept asking "John Cena who?" Have you tried jailbreaking ChatGPT yet? It can be pretty amusing.

It looks like Punk's return is all but confirmed at this point. I read some reports that he has pushed hard to work a program with Samoa Joe upon his return. I kind of hope we get to see Punk vs. Omega at Wembley. I know Punk can't keep up with him, but selfishly I still want to see it. I wonder if we'll see MJF drop the title there as well. Last I checked, they had sold over 60,000 tickets for the show, which is pretty good. If it was WWE, it'd be an instant sellout, but still, it's nice to see that another company has a real shot. The one benefit is that AEW does seem to like to give it's fans what they want to see, unlike WWE. All eyes will be on AEW at Wembley so I expect that they will do everything possible to make sure that the show is as great as it can be. I really hope they don't blow it. I don't even watch AEW on a regular basis, but there needs to be a viable number 2 promotion and they're the closest it's going to get.

There's a rumor that it's going to be Roman/Solo vs. KO/Sami at Night of Champions for the tag belts, which doesn't make any sense to me. It's Roman's 1000th day as champion and he isn't going to defend his titles? Maybe it's because they've backed themselves so far into a corner that there are no viable opponents left. I thought the idea of Night of Champions was that all titles get defended. Can you imagine the backlash if Roman and Solo win the tag belts? Jesus Christ, it would be brutal. If that match happens, I don't see any other outcome unless it's a DQ finish or something. Roman isn't eating the pin and they're really protecting Solo right now. At least The Bloodline storyline is finally looking to be wrapping up soon. It's high time.

I was listening to Mick Foley's podcast the other day and he said The Bloodline is a strong contender for "best faction of all time." I just don't see it. When Sami was in there, yes it was entertaining. But the minute he was out of the mix, it got stale real quick. To me, there's no comparison between the Bloodline and The Four Horsemen or the nWo or even DX -- factions that stood the test of time. But that's subjective I guess.

I tried to replicate that and the stupid chat bot just kept asking "John Cena who?" Have you tried jailbreaking ChatGPT yet? It can be pretty amusing.

I think the only reason it responded with the trumpets was because it forgot I was trying to do a knock knock joke tbh, so it was unintentionally funny, as is usually the case. I haven't tried anything like the DAN jailbreaks, I've only tricked it into writing things against its guidelines by telling it that it's "comedy" (at which point a lot of the time it'll just say "OK" and write whatever you asked for, even if it has zero actual comedy) or asking it to give its "true and honest opinion" which for whatever reason will sometimes get it to write something more personal than the stock answers (see the Vinnie Mac response).

It looks like Punk's return is all but confirmed at this point. I read some reports that he has pushed hard to work a program with Samoa Joe upon his return. I kind of hope we get to see Punk vs. Omega at Wembley. I know Punk can't keep up with him, but selfishly I still want to see it. I wonder if we'll see MJF drop the title there as well. Last I checked, they had sold over 60,000 tickets for the show, which is pretty good. If it was WWE, it'd be an instant sellout, but still, it's nice to see that another company has a real shot. The one benefit is that AEW does seem to like to give it's fans what they want to see, unlike WWE. All eyes will be on AEW at Wembley so I expect that they will do everything possible to make sure that the show is as great as it can be. I really hope they don't blow it. I don't even watch AEW on a regular basis, but there needs to be a viable number 2 promotion and they're the closest it's going to get.

I'd actually quite like to see Punk vs Joe. Promos would be out of this world, and I'm sure I read on squaredcircle that Punk has never actually beaten Joe, which would give the storyline some juice. It wouldn't be a bad first feud to come back to at all.

I've stopped watching AEW so I'm not up to date on a lot of the details of what's happening now, but MJF as champ has been a bust for me personally. They keep going back to the same ideas too often and it's the same stuff MJF has already been doing for the last 2/3 years, so it isn't fresh or interesting. In general the show has just lost its charm for me. Once the WWE cast-offs came in and took over it started to lose its appeal for me, coupled with that period where Dynamite basically became an ROH show for a while, which I had no interest in. I know they're trying to do the main event angle with the "pillars" now, but it falls flat because, MJF aside, none of them have really been built up as main event talent thanks to aforementioned WWE cast-offs, ROH nobodies and Jericho taking up too much of the main event spotlight.

I'll watch the debut episode of Collision, but by and large AEW have lost me. As have WWE, for the record - I'm not watching either company right now.

There's a rumor that it's going to be Roman/Solo vs. KO/Sami at Night of Champions for the tag belts, which doesn't make any sense to me. It's Roman's 1000th day as champion and he isn't going to defend his titles? Maybe it's because they've backed themselves so far into a corner that there are no viable opponents left. I thought the idea of Night of Champions was that all titles get defended. Can you imagine the backlash if Roman and Solo win the tag belts? Jesus Christ, it would be brutal. If that match happens, I don't see any other outcome unless it's a DQ finish or something. Roman isn't eating the pin and they're really protecting Solo right now. At least The Bloodline storyline is finally looking to be wrapping up soon. It's high time.

I guess the storyline makes sense if the idea is for Roman to continue belittling the Usos, but yeah, I can see them giving the belts to Roman and Solo which would be dumb. With that said they've already botched the whole thing by having both Sami and Cody lose, so I stopped caring after WM entirely about the Bloodline storyline in general. It should have wrapped up at Mania with the Bloodline falling apart and the aftermath of that becoming the focal point of storylines for the next few months. Instead they're continuing to drag it out, as WWE tends to do.

I was listening to Mick Foley's podcast the other day and he said The Bloodline is a strong contender for "best faction of all time." I just don't see it. When Sami was in there, yes it was entertaining. But the minute he was out of the mix, it got stale real quick. To me, there's no comparison between the Bloodline and The Four Horsemen or the nWo or even DX -- factions that stood the test of time. But that's subjective I guess.

One of the greatest storylines of all time, sure. The period from when Zayn joined up until Eliminiation Chamber was pure gold. The company's inability to pivot and adapt to organic fan reaction is still a problem, though, and has led to Zayn's momentum ending with him being a tag team wrestler and Cody being stuck in limbo, so... great storyline with a botched ending. The WWE way. As for best faction of all time, I wouldn't say so, but for fans who got into wrestling after the Horsemen/nWo/DX era it's probably the best they've seen in terms of a faction, so in some ways I get it.

I saw somebody on r/sc theorize that it seems like Cody was supposed to win at Mania and it was a last minute decision to have Roman go over and the stories playing out now weren't changed to go along with the changed finish. Roman loses, he takes a month off, comes back, belittles the Usos for losing, then him and Solo team up to take on KO/Zayn for the tag straps. Brock attacks Cody because he wants the WWE title, not for... seemingly no reason at all. It does seem to make more sense for these stories playing out if Roman had lost the title. Cody is their top merch seller, the crowd absolutely loves him... he's the guy. He was the right choice to go over. Even if he goes over at Summerslam or Mania 40 (god forbid we have to wait another fucking year), it's not going to have the same impact. I know we've both said it already, but is really is a tremendous misstep. They really had it all in their hands and dropped the ball so badly. It's such a par for the course situation. They strike gold and squander it. And then they blame the fans by throwing around such nonsense as "you guys just can't handle long term storytelling."

Night of Champions was a lot more eventful than I expected it to be. It seems like those shows have typically been very straight forward, no title changes, nothing of interest happening, etc. Asuka winning the women's title was definitely unexpected for me. Jimmy Uso turning on Roman as well. They're finally progressing that story, which is nice. I would assume setting up for The Usos vs. Roman/Solo at MITB. They've got a great opportunity here and I hope they don't blow it. MITB being in London is prime for a great crowd. If they do this right and have Jey be hesitant to attack Roman for the next month and then at MITB he finally snaps? The fucking roof will come off in London. Please WWE... don't drop the ball on this.

Even though I don't watch WWE regularly anymore, I still catch the PLE's if I have time, and NoC was a decent enough event.

I thought AJ/Seth would have a bit more energy. It was a solid match, but not the barnburner I was hoping for. Nonetheless it was the right call for Seth to go over.

I didn't care at all about Becky and Trish. Despite the fact Trish is lauded nowadays, I don't think she was ever a particularly good wrestler and I still don't think she is.

Gunther/Ali was a really good match for the time allotted, and Ali gained a lot even in defeat. Can't help but think if the show wasn't in Saudi he would have been beaten in about 3 minutes though. We'll see if he gets a serious push after this, or if he just got the Mansoor treatment for one night.

Bianca/Asuka was a good match, and it was a nice surprise to see Asuka go over. It should have happened at WrestleMania, but at least Belair's reign is over. I hope this means they take some time to develop her character, as she has a ton of potential which is only being capped by poor booking.

Rhea/Natalya was pointless.

Brock/Cody was well told from a storyline standpoint, and they gave people enough reason to believe Cody could pull off the upset, albeit the 'broken arm' caveat seemed a bit much. Especially if Cody isn't planning to take time off and his arm magically heals within the space of a couple of weeks. Nonetheless a solid effort which was interesting to watch. Cody plays the babyface in peril to perfection, and Brock is Brock.

The main event was fine, but much like at the RR, everyone was waiting for the ending to see what happened. It didn't disappoint, with Jimmy being the one to finally snap and turn on Roman. As usual everyone played their role extremely well, and even though they've dragged it out unnecessarily, there's now a lot of new avenues open for storyline progression within the Bloodline arc.

It's clear that Triple H has a vision for how this all unfolds, and is sticking to that regardless of organic fan reaction to certain events. I don't think they'll drop the ball when it comes to execution, it's just a case of whether they take too long to get there, as has been the case so far.

Also, Double or Nothing 2023 is the first AEW PPV I won't be watching since they launched in 2019, which is how much my interest in their product has cratered over the past few months. I read the results and it doesn't really look like I'm missing out on much.

It really wasn't a very good show imo. The crowd was also very subpar. It's amazing how much the crowd contributes to the overall feel and experience of a PPV. Very questionable programs going on in AEW. Adam Cole is one of the best guys they've got and you wouldn't know it because he's feuding with Chris Jericho -- fucking retire already, Jericho. Their match was boring and sloppy. AEW is not doing a good job creating new stars. I think they are trying but it just isn't working. MJF was the closest they got and he's losing steam on a weekly basis.

There is talent there that I genuinely do like, namely the aforementioned Adam Cole, the House of Black guys and a few others, but a lot of the people in this company are just not very good. AEW shows now more than ever feel like glorified indie shows. It's cool that wrestlers have another company to work for in the States, it's cool that they're getting paid a lot of money, all of that stuff is good, but it just isn't my cup of tea. They started strong but they're losing it. I don't think even AEW fans give a shit about their storylines.

To be honest I've never been a huge fan of Adam Cole, he's alright but never been someone I've been that interested in watching. With that said, yeah, a feud with Jericho doesn't really do much for him. At this stage in his career Jericho should either be working to elevate younger talent or boosting the reputation of mid-card talent wanting to step up. Cole is neither of these things so it seems like a feud for the sake of a feud. With that said, I suppose it's possible that Cole wants to work with somebody safe and experienced after his head injury, and Jericho fulfils that role. If so then fair enough, but hopefully he moves onto something better.

My AEW interest dipped a lot when ROH started getting spotlighted, which really did make it seem very indy, and showcasing people like Jarrett, Jay Lethal, etc recently only adds to that. The major blow to my interest came after Punk and the Elite's bust up though. At that point the backstage drama and bullshit just felt like it was overshadowing the product, combined with so many WWE mid-carders showing up. It started feeling like the bad days of TNA rather than AEW.

I think you're right on the core fans not caring about storylines, they just want athletic spotfest matches - and look, I enjoy those too, but you can only see so many of them before it gets repetitive. That's where you need good storylines to carry the show, and AEW doesn't really seem to have many of those. It did in the first couple of years, so I don't know why they've suddenly stopped caring about that side of things. For all the heat Punk gets, he was involved in some of the best AEW storylines of 2022. His work and promos with most of the talent was great, regardless of his personal issues. I genuinely don't think there's anyone on his level in the company in that regard, so his absence does hurt them. Even Mox and Danielson seem a bit one-dimensional these days. They're both these uber-serious, sadistic wrestlers and it's like... yeah, but what else? Mox especially has been doing the same character for four years now, essentially. I'd like to see a little variation from both himself and Danielson. WWE missed the boat with both of them on multiple occasions, but they also allowed them to display a variety of character traits as opposed to the same basic thing over and over again.

Honestly not sure what the next AEW show I watch will be. Possibly the UK PPV.

I did see Max Caster's rap about the House of Black on twitter though, lmao, that was savage. The Acclaimed are fantastic.

Last edited:
As far as Cole goes, I liked him a lot in NXT. He really isn't being showcased much in AEW though. He's a talented guy and I do think they're going to give him a run at the world title since he's so over (possibly at Wembley?), but the pairing with Jericho just isn't doing it for me. Nothing Jericho does seems to interest me much.

In terms of character development, it makes you realize that WWE is right in terms of not wanting one dimensional characters. It's why they throw shit at the wall to see what sticks. For me, a mix of the two styles would be nice. I don't want the overly scripted, stupid segments or too much comedy, etc. but I also don't want to watch an indy show every single time I watch wrestling. I think that's why I loved those glory days of NXT so much. It was so balanced and ended up being the best of both worlds. I thought AEW was going to get there eventually, but they really are turning into the bad days of TNA. This is just a guess, but it really seems like AEW has a boss that is more interested in being friends with his employees than being an actual boss. Love him or hate him, in WWE, you've always known Vince was the boss, he was going to do the things that he thought were best for his company even if it wasn't popular with the fanbase. I don't necessarily think that is the way to go either, but again, a mix of the two styles would be good here.