Life-changing albums?

Oh yeah, maybe Darkthrone's song "En as i dybe skogen", as I think that was the one that introduced me to black metal. I was playing with a band and some black metal guys also played there and they played that song and it was the only one I liked. My interest in black metal was born!

Originally posted by Windom Pearl
Still Life was the first Opeth I really got into. That particular album changed my fucking life. And not in a minor way, but TOTALLY.

You're welcome :rolleyes: :p

Mine was Morningrise...umm and Brave Murder Day. Also In Flames Jester's Race was the first record I bought that had growls. If that somehow changed my life!?!?

Marko changed my life! I luv u man! :)

Originally posted by Windom Pearl:
It changed the way I think about music and riffs in general...and the album inspired me to write own music, which led to Farmakon. And to Thales. Which are the main points of my life and the stuff I think about all the time. And it has led to some other major things too, of which I´ll stay silent. Any similiar experiences, with some other albums perhaps?

Sweet!

My Arms, Your Hearse changed things for me as well. It changed the way I listen to music - it introduced a new level of music. It came with a world of people and ideas I never knew of. It opened my eyes to so much and I feel I'm much better off because of it. That makes me VERY pleased with MAYH.

:)

Limbonic Art- Moon in the Scorpio
@ Ethereal Sage
This is a peculiar thing. I don't doubt that this album is ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE and one of my all time favorite albums, but how was it life changing for you. I find its importance to be much more in atmosphere than in emotion.

Coupled with my surmounting emotional, mid-pubescent stage of growth, and with the turmoil in my family with my mother having an affair, my father falling into depression and moving to another country, my sister dropping out of school pregnant, it was the ferocity and my unprepared indoctrination into metal in the form of Fear Factory (first Digimortal, then Demanufacture, but most profoundly with Obsolete digipack) that seemed to provide the catalyst for me to start self-mutilating and becoming obsessed with a violence that led to me being humiliated by myself in school, oppressed and yet freed by counselling, but driven to worse and worse by the cruel circle of my self-injury driving my parents into deeper depression and thier depression putting me in deeper and deeper loneliness. It was Fear Factory's 'Obsolete' that provided the energy channel through which I now regretfully wear a permanent latticework of disgusting white silky scars all over my arms, shoulders, chest and belly.

In a reverse effect, it was the intelligent and insightful rage, and also the jilting complexity I found in MuDvAyNe and thier album 'L.D. 50' that most helped put me back on track. I'm not sure what it was about it, but listening to that album a half a dozen times a day seemed to help drain my rage away until I could control myself enough to not self-mutilate. My parents of course thought this music was making me what I had become, but that was not the case, as most metal fans would testify to. It is one of the reasons why MuDvAyNe is still and will always be my most favourite and loved band regardless of how diverse and extreme my tastes can be, as I respect them for the work they had that stopped me killing myself and in turn my parents.

Slayer - Reign in Blood

This album was my introduction to good metal. Before that I had given up all hope on music and thought there was nothing out there that I could really listen to. I remember it like it was yesterday... my friend who had just recently gotten into Slayer had bought the album and brought it over my house in the summer of '97. He put on Raining Blood and the rest is history. Once I heard that famous Slayer riff I was hooked. Ever since then I've been into metal.

Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia

Up until this point I was mainly listening to thrash metal... as I downright hated black metal and death metal vocals. This album soon changed that. The growls were hard to get used to for me. Nowadays I listen to black metal religiously. It's even influenced me to learn to play guitar.

As much as I hate to admit it... Metallica's black album got me into metal... I stole the cd from my sister because she didn't like it... that was around 92 I have the hardest time listening to them now..

after that... it was Pantera.. 1998?..i believe.. Fantastic band.. I just can't listen to every single thing they made.. don't get me wrong... a huge majority of it is great.

Then it was straight into Opeth, At The Gates, In Flames and Arch Enemy.. Opeth being the first... discovering In Flames second and then At The Gates and then Arch Enemy.. I love these bands with a passion... if it wasn't fo them, I wouldn't know what the fuck to do..

Now the list of underground metal bands I listen to keeps on growing and growing.. I can't get enough metal.

Originally posted by Morningrise

@ Ethereal Sage
This is a peculiar thing. I don't doubt that this album is ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE and one of my all time favorite albums, but how was it life changing for you. I find its importance to be much more in atmosphere than in emotion.

It was life changing in that previous to me obtaining it, in my younger days I had been listening to more obtainable and generic metal alone (Sepultura, Fear Factory, etc). Moon In The Scorpio showed me a whole new side to what metal could be about. I have always had a liking/love for classical music and it's structure, and to find a band that in ways combines these 2 styles over-awed me. It is as you say more atmospheric, but it comforted me in ways at the time when I was in school and somewhat depressed. In Mourning Mystique was one of the first tracks that affected me deeply.
At the time I got the album, I had been looking for something new, and I found it in a different section of the CD store. It was so good that I thought I should check out the other stuff on the shelf, which lead me to Raison D'etre (an awesome artist) and another new type of music, dark ambient.
Basically MITS is the first in the genre that I got, and I find that an album that is a first in the genre is always special to me.

I should take this opportunity to add that Opeth's Morningrise is another life-changer for me.

I got into Opeth after hearing them do Iron Maiden's "Remember Tomorrow" and I was pleasently surprised when I got My first Opeth album, "Still Life". I was in fact listening to "Orchid" this morning. I love bands that do something different and I love the way these guys go from a semi classical style to old school to gothic.

I think a lot of music has affected me quite personally. Maybe Tool's AEnima, Smashing Pumpkins's Siamese Dream, and Opeth's Morningrise perhaps the most, but I think a lot of artists (rather than one album) have really changed the way I see things - Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Nick Drake, Miles Davis, Soundgarden, and Radiohead could all be included there (if you can believe that ;))...

I'd have to say that Tool's Ænima made me change the way I listened to music, rather it made me listen to music. Before I heard Tool, I never really payed attention to the music. When I heard Ænima, I listened to every detail of the music and was hooked. They were the first band that I actually listened to the music and not just casually playing it.

Then came Morningrise...I heard TBYF and loved it. I couldn't get enough of the few mp3s from Morningrise that I had. Then, I checked out the rest of Opeth's cds and was blown away. They got me into more extreme forms of metal and allowed me to not only tolerate growls but love them. Upon hearing them, I have been exposed to countless other excellent bands that I may have never discovered.

Hmm... life changing music. Nice topic.

1927, Icehouse, Bon Jovi - some of the bands that I first remember listening to way back when.

NWA, Public Enemy etc etc - some of the stuff I listened to later. Probably part of the reason for my juvenile and and at times, semi-criminal behaviour growing up.

Motley Crue, Poison, Cinderella - these bands gave me an appreciation of guitar and the idea of riffs.

Metallica - Ride the Lightning - nothing need be said.
Tool - Aenima - what OpethianSoul said.

Leftfield, Kruder & Dorfmeister - some of the acts that opened my mind to electronic music and that whole lifestyle, and really fucking good drum & bass for the later.

Opeth/ Orchid. Well. Probably the nexus as far as music will go for me. This album opened my eyes to the soul behind music. The fact that the album cover was so simple gave me a true insight on how a musicical artists should be. It all comes down to the music. Not all the posing and posturing that I see in most mainstream music. The opening riff in In Mist She Was Standing took me to a place I don't ever want to return from.

Iced Earth - Alive in Athens - got me into real metal
Nightwish - Wishmaster - got me into female fronted metal
Therion - Vovin - got me into symphonic metal
Carcass - Heartwork - death metal
Daemonarch - Daemonarch - black metal
Sodom - M16 - thrash
My Dying Bride - like gods of the sun - doom
Moonspell - Irreligious - goth

woohoo, metal rules!

Rush--Exit Stage Left.
The total power and dynamics of Rush really influenced the way I listen to and play music to this day. Very thoughtfully-made music

Iron Maiden--Powerslave
Once again, the combination of dynamics and instrumental prowess

Megadeth--Rust in Peace
This one album contains more different guitar riffs than most bands' entire catalogues. They are all quality riffs, too.

Focus--Moving Waves: This is a pretty experimental album from the Dutch prog-rock band Focus from around 1972. It shows the total different number of influences that can be assembled into one piece of music. It goes from hard rock to very jazzy stuff, some classical stuff, and they fit it all together. Simply Amazing