Still Life live? MAYH Live?

GuyIncognito

New Metal Member
Aug 25, 2003
Has Opeth ever played either Still Life or My Arms, Your Hearse in their entirety live? And if so why can't I find them documented!

How cool would that be if they decided to play one of them --- preferably Still Life --- live in London for the DVD?

And I know this is random, but does anyone here see some sorta similarity between DT's Scenes from a Memory and Still Life? I know it's audacious of me to say so, but I honestly think DT ripped SFAM off of Still Life. There are just too many similarities. And if not from Still life, atleast from MAYH, because DT's "The Spirit Carries On" is very much like "Epilogue". I smell something afoul......

GuyIncognito said:
And I know this is random, but does anyone here see some sorta similarity between DT's Scenes from a Memory and Still Life? I know it's audacious of me to say so, but I honestly think DT ripped SFAM off of Still Life.
Eh? How so? The concepts of the two albums are pretty damn different.

Still Life: Man returns from religious exile to reclaim his lost love (Melinda), who has remarried. They have an affair, which goes horribly wrong when Melinda dies and the exiled man is blamed, and put to death.

Scenes: A man in 1999 (Nicholas) keeps having recurring dreams of a woman in the 1920s. He visits a hypnotherapist and regresses into the dream, which is of his past life as Victoria. Upon realising this, Nicholas attempts to find out more information about Victoria and discovers that she was tragically murdered. She was romantically involved with Julian, who was basically treating her like shit and was pissing his life away on booze and gambling, so Victoria did the wild monkey dance with Jules' brother Edward, and, according to the papers, Jules got POed and shot Victoria before killing himself.

There is a twist in the tale, however; Victoria was actually reconciling with Julian at the time of her murder. The man who killed them both was the jilted bit on the side, Edward.

However, back in the present day, Nicholas hasn't realised all this yet, being satisfied with the newspaper account. But he wasn't the only one from that affair to have been reincarnated, and the reincarnation of Edward tracked down Nicholas and killed him in his own home.

The reincarnation of Edward was none other than the Hypnotherapist.

*takes a deep breath*
There are just too many similarities. And if not from Still life, atleast from MAYH, because DT's "The Spirit Carries On" is very much like "Ending Credits". I smell something afoul......

Eh? Are you referring to Epilogue from MAYH or Ending Credits from Damnation? Doesn't matter really, cause neither of them are remotely like TSCO. Different time signatures, keys, tempo, feel, TSCO has vocals...need I go on?

The only similarities between MAYH, Still Life and SFAM is that they're all concept albums.

I didn't mean that DT ripped the concept part out of Opeth's albums, but that they took some of the ideas... i'm a dolt...

[off topic]Hey now....I haven't listened to Scenes in a long while Neil,but I think you've got the plot all wrong...ah or maybe it's me who's got it all wrong.

I mean,Victoria had a relationship with Edward and an affair with Julian,which is why Edward killed them both,not the other way around.

"He's always had my heart
He needs to know
I'll break free of the Miracle
It's time for him to go"

Does that mean that she's kicking Edward out or that she's just dedicating herself to Julian again? Fuck if I know.
I don't know...I'm so fucking tired this afternoon anyway.[/off topic]

And no Incognito,I doubt that Dream Theater ripped Still Life or My Arms. The albums aren't similar in any way,except both being concept pieces.
Also,I like the fact that Opeth and Pain Of Salvation don't play the whole damn album when they make a concept album as Dream Theater does.
Then again that would be a little complicated with PoS,seeing as all they have is concept albums.

TheFourthHorseman said:
[off topic]Hey now....I haven't listened to Scenes in a long while Neil,but I think you've got the plot all wrong...ah or maybe it's me who's got it all wrong.

I mean,Victoria had a relationship with Edward and an affair with Julian,which is why Edward killed them both,not the other way around.

"He's always had my heart
He needs to know
I'll break free of the Miracle
It's time for him to go"

Does that mean that she's kicking Edward out or that she's just dedicating herself to Julian again? Fuck if I know.
I don't know...I'm so fucking tired this afternoon anyway.[/off topic]

I'm pretty sure I got it right, but it's a prety tricky story to unravel. The Live Scenes DVD certainly helps untangle things, what with the video clips and all. I'm pretty sure it was 'Edward was a fuckup, Victoria humps his bro Julian, gets guilty about it, reconciles with Edward and Julian kills them both out of jealousy making it look like a murder/suicide by Ed by planting a suicide note ('He'd seem hopeless and lost in this note/they'll buy into the words that I wrote' and all that).

I think there's a sticky thread on the DT forum's Scenes From A Memory section that explains the whole thing. I'm gonna go find it now and see if I'm right :D

Ive read through the lyrics with that album(SFAM) about two times,and each time i got a certain understanding,but still didnt really grasp the concept.The album is excellent when you read along though.

The concepts of the two albums are about as different as you can get. There are virtually no significant similarities between them. Both albums rule though.

Eh.. actually Opeth has already played an entire album in one set. It´s called "Damnation", and I personelly would love to hear Opeth perform "Still life" in one set, since it´s by far their best album, and also the album that represents Opeth´s sound best.

Korlich said:
Eh.. actually Opeth has already played an entire album in one set. It´s called "Damnation", and I personelly would love to hear Opeth perform "Still life" in one set, since it´s by far their best album, and also the album that represents Opeth´s sound best.

Still Life is not Opeth's best album . I Disagree as many people on this board ^^.
*cough Mayh's the best cough*
:)