Where did the "Still Life" title come from??

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Since Mikael is a big 70's fan and got the MAYH title from the lyrics of 70's song, I was wondering if Still Life was also named after Van der Graaf Generator's 1976 album. I've never heard Mikael mention VDGG but I'd assume he's a fan.

I also know BWP comes from a German band. Any idea about the other releases?

There is actually an old band names Still life I believe.. and they put out a self-titled album...

Fates Warning also have an album called Still Life...

I know there's a Russian Rock album called Still Life (in English)
Cant be it tho.. but you never know! :tickled:

Hmm.. i've only got 'Present' from VDGG .. it's alright, but i get the feeling they're capable of much better. Which is their best album - Pawn Hearts?

Mike said in some interview that the album was to be called something else, but when he saw the cover by Travis Smith, he just thought "Still Life! That's it!" and kept on about how it's a band and a VDGG album and an Iron Maiden song.

opeth_353 said:
Hmm.. i've only got 'Present' from VDGG .. it's alright, but i get the feeling they're capable of much better. Which is their best album - Pawn Hearts?

Yes, Pawn Hearts is one of my favourite albums ever by anyone, as I think has come clear several times :p
Present is good, but IMO doesn't compete with the 70's albums. Godbluff is another gem, so are Still Life and... well, basically all of them. Peter Hammill's solo albums are mostly quality stuff too, he has made something like 50 of them! Of his work I'd recommend The Silent Corner And the Empty Stage, In Camera and The Fall of the House of Usher among others. TSCAtES is the one closest to VDGG in style.

That's awesome, thanks Vintersorg.

I agree Pawn Hearts is VdGG's finest moment. Does anyone know if Mikael ever commented on their music? Peter Hammil is an insanely talented and original soul, methinks.