Still Life question about the concept

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I asked this in the MAYH thread but my question went unanswered for some reason. So I had to start another thread. I've been thinking about the lyrics on Still Life a lot lately and I was wondering what part of history do you guys think the story in the album occured and why?

It seems to be based around the Middle Ages... Dark Ages/Medieval times, whatever you call it. He talks about getting hung, and that was a popular form of execution back then, also some other things point to it, but I can't be bothered going back and reading through the lyrics again to check.

Originally posted by Lion in a Cage
What made you think that story really occured?

Where did I say the story really occured? It's just a 'story' and Mikael must have had a certain timeframe in his head when he was writing it. I never questioned its reality.

Edit: Dream Theater's SFAM album didn't really occur either, but we all know clearly when the story happened. First in the late 20's and then at our modern time.

NP: Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Beethoven's Last Night

Originally posted by Moonlapse
It seems to be based around the Middle Ages... Dark Ages/Medieval times, whatever you call it. He talks about getting hung, and that was a popular form of execution back then, also some other things point to it, but I can't be bothered going back and reading through the lyrics again to check.
Yeah I pretty much thought of the 11th or 12th centuries, but I was just curious what everyone else thought.

Originally posted by Mezarkabul
Where did I say the story really occured? It's just a 'story' and Mikael must have had a certain timeframe in his head when he was writing it. I never questioned its reality.

If something took place in history, it means it has happened. Anyway, there's no point to arguing so whatever...

Edit: Dream Theater's SFAM album didn't really occur either, but we all know clearly when the story happened. First in the late 20's and then at our modern time.

Uh, and I don't know any Dream Theater albums.

If something took place in history, it means it has happened. Anyway, there's no point to arguing so whatever...

It's called fiction, and fiction exists in history... there are a million concept albums based on truth and fiction, and they all occured in a certain part of history, whether they really occured or not is beside the question. :rolleyes:

Your question sounded rude in the first place.

It's called fiction, and fiction exists in history... there are a million concept albums based on truth and fiction, and they all occured in a certain part of history, whether they really occured or not is beside the question. :rolleyes:

Your question sounded rude in the first place.

Your point sounds pointless :rolleyes: . I doubt Mikael did any historical research before he came up with that story :p . I wasn't meaning to be rude but it's 2 am here, I can't sleep because there are 1000's of things in my mind and I'm not in a nice mood...

Your point sounds pointless :rolleyes: . I doubt Mikael did any historical research before he came up with that story :p . I wasn't meaning to be rude but it's 2 am here, I can't sleep because there are 1000's of things in my mind and I'm not in a nice mood...

My point sounds pointless? Does it sound as pointless as yours when you post totally irrelevant shit in this thread which absolutely has nothing to do with answering my question? If it's too late for you and you have too many things in your head, how about you get off and do some thinking instead of asking people stupid questions? Message boards aren't places to solve your personal problems.

Whether Mikael did any research or not does not matter. He must have had a certain time in his mind when he was putting the lyrics together. Even imaginary stories have a certain timeframe behind them. But I see it's 2 a.m. and everything sounds pointless to you. Then you ask not to argue any further. If you hadn't asked the stupid question you asked insinuating that I said the story on the album did in fact really occur, then we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

Everything, as fictional as it may be, has a certain time behind it. Even Lords of the Rings or Star Wars. They didn't really occur either, but we all basically know when they fictionally happened.

And I have to get up at 8:00 tomorrow because I have lots of things to do.

Like I said, go and contemplate your problems elsewhere instead of posting unnecessary things in threads you have no info of. It is clear you never ever gave the story of SL a real thought. Maybe you're one of those people who like the music more than they like the lyrics. That's fine with me. But I, after listening to the music on SL for 3 years, decided to analyse the lyrics more closely and came here to ask the question about what part of history it took place. Then you just enter the thread and go, "What made you think that story really occured?" - you decide if that was necessary or not. If you have personal problems, you certainly won't be resolving them by posting on message boards.

My point sounds pointless? Does it sound as pointless as yours when you post totally irrelevant shit in this thread which absolutely has nothing to do with answering my question? If it's too late for you and you have too many things in your head, how about you get off and do some thinking instead of asking people stupid questions? Message boards aren't places to solve your personal problems.

Whether Mikael did any research or not does not matter. He must have had a certain time in his mind when he was putting the lyrics together. Even imaginary stories have a certain timeframe behind them. But I see it's 2 a.m. and everything sounds pointless to you. Then you ask not to argue any further. If you hadn't asked the stupid question you asked insinuating that I said the story on the album did in fact really occur, then we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

Everything, as fictional as it may be, has a certain time behind it. Even Lords of the Rings or Star Wars. They didn't really occur either, but we all basically know when they fictionally happened.

Oh, I feel so ashamed :oops: , flooding your precious thread with my shit. I always thought Mezarkabul was a weird, meaningless and stupid name anyway :devil:

Like I said, go and contemplate your problems elsewhere instead of posting unnecessary things in threads you have no info of. It is clear you never ever gave the story of SL a real thought. Maybe you're one of those people who like the music more than they like the lyrics. That's fine with me. But I, after listening to the music on SL for 3 years, decided to analyse the lyrics more closely and came here to ask the question about what part of history it took place. Then you just enter the thread and go, "What made you think that story really occured?" - you decide if that was necessary or not. If you have personal problems, you certainly won't be resolving them by posting on message boards.

ANALyse this:
cucumber.jpg

i don't actually... when would lotr or sw happen? before or after humanity is wiped out (for the first time) by a nuclear holocaust?

lion in a cage. shut the fuck up and go to bed.