Still Life concept

TheFourthHorseman

In The Twilight World
Jan 7, 2003
Finland
Well I scrolled through around 10 pages of threads and I didn't see any about the Still Life concept (someone in another thread said that he wished that Opeth make another concept and so on...),so what's the story behind the whole concept and... :cry: what's with Melinda?

Hopefully there'll at least be something else than ashes left of me...

Meh, I've only been an Opeth fan for about a year and a half, so I don't know most of the super cool insider info that the "super cool" Opeth fans know. I just know enough not to ask and incur the wrath of the elitists :rolleyes:

saturnix printed out all the lyrics and described the concept from one song to the next, he could tell you, if he still has those papers anyway.

don't mind flaming...done all too much myself in other places,so...anyway I just want to know this stuff,and I suppose most people here know more than the general Opeth fan. Thanks to ffanatic and Fifth_Horseman (and IO for the sarcasm).
This board is seriously being an asshole right now...anyhow if someone would have the info at hand,please share.
EDIT: err,and just the board ;) not the members :) ...and if someone has a link to an interview where Mikael perhaps explains the whole thing then that is fine too.

Well, I've never looked it up on the net and read what the concept actually was. I just read the lyrics and listened myself. I'm not gonna transcribe it line for line. But here's a quick overview, maybe I'll try line for line later. I'm probably off on some of the concepts, but at least I tried to decipher it myself.

THE MOOR:
The narrator was damned by his people, they executed him for his heretic ways. He became a duke of hell and cursed vengeance upon those who caused his demise. He has returned 15 years later, in a ghostly-demonic form for his beloved Melinda.

GODHEADS LAMENT:
He goes about the town, searching. The people see him, and at first probably don't recognize him; but they sense he's evil. He sees Melinda, and is driven to see her further.

BENIGHTED:
He's "calling" Melinda, telling her how their lives suck ass. He's asking her to forget everything else and come with him.

MOONLAPSE VERTIGO:
So the townsfolk figure him out and get together a party to get rid of him. So he's gotta jam or else they'll stop him. But he wants Melinda, so he takes off to fight another day.

FACE OF MELINDA:
So he sees Melinda, in person. She's pretty damn sad. I think this is where the line is that would make some think she's a nun, I'm not sure I have to really go over it, but I could see it happening, would make a lot of things make sense. So he asks her to be with him, but she's like "sry, I can't". But he doesn't care, and he keeps trying, so he grabs her and takes her. He asks her yet again, to be with him. She tells him she's got problems, and that she can't. But the last thing she says is that she loves 'em.

SERENITY PAINTED DEATH:
He wakes up, and she's gone. He can hear voices in the distance. He sees Melinda beyond the trees, and then he sees her throat cut slashed. And this is where he loses it, I mean a madness takes him. This is where the word "livid" would be suitable. The quote in my sig is from this song :). So he starts kicking their asses, slashing them up and what not. But eventually they're too many, and they bring 'em down. They tie 'em down and take 'em away.

WHITE CLUSTER:
There's a lot of sybolism in the song, I'll tackle it later, this is all off the top of my head so you get a general idea so. Anyway, think the ending to Braveheart. They bring 'em in, and he's gonna get executed. Long story short, they kill him and that's it. MORAL OF THE STORY: It is better to have loved and lossed than never to have loved at all. Or at least that's the cheesy way of saying it. He sortof says, "I'm glad I saw you one last time" sortof thingy.

THE END

Anywho, this is may favorite album, my first love of Opeth. And honsetly, this is the album that has made Opeth my favorite band. Their music is a testament to my life in a way, and for that I find personal meaning in it. A long time ago I did go over this album line for line, so the overview above is off the top of my head, I forgot a lot of the details (which is what makes it so memorable). Honestly, the best way to figure out what the album is really about, isn't to ask what it means on some forums on the internet. It's by sitting down, listening to the music, with the lyrics in hand. Better yet, with no lyrics in hand, listen to it and write down what you think he's saying, that is honestly the best way; that's what I did, it's much more meaningful that way. So if you're curious, plz do that, you'll be glad you did.

Thanks Demon...already read the whole thing on another thread,then again that guy suggested that Melinda was re-married...well anyway I'll listen to it on my comp today and try to get the cd soon as possible...now I'd listen to Morningrise if I hadn't forced my friend to take it with him and listen to Black Rose Immortal. :) Anyway cheers

The story lines behind Still Life and MAYH are just amzing..Highly unlikey the Mike and Opeth will ever do another tragic concept Cd like that agin, but the storylines of Still Life and MAYH make those two releases my fav Opeth CD's..Just Awesome..! -l-

Where did the demon of hell thing come from? I always figured that instead of killed they just kicked him out or something. Exile.

NP: Gamma Ray - Razor Blade Sigh

I always thought she had gotten married to an other person. I mean, if you say they're both dead then.. how... did they kill them again?

Needled24Seven said:
what i mean is that she was killed and he was exiled in the first place.

Actually if you'd listen closely from the beginning you'd notice that our main character says that he's been gone for 15 years and so on,but it's more likely that he was killed back then and now he's come back for Melinda. Melinda is quite alive,she's just become a nun,hence "sworn her vows to another" (God) and "a harlot of God upon the EARTH".I could be way off but that seems logical.

As for schraibers question and posts earlier like I said,it doesn't seem to me like Melinda is dead,and the guy is just back from the dead.
So when the guy returns to the town the ppl get suspicious...he leaves (in Moonlapse Vertigo,not when he was killed(/exiled as some say) in the first place),just to come back again and meet Melinda. And so Melinda states that she's a nun now but still loves him. Obviously the next morning he wakes up but without Melinda cause she's already been taken away and they've slit her throat. The guy goes fucking nuts in Serenity Painted Death,into a frenzy and starts killing off everyone. Once they capture him they execute him. That's what I think based on others' opinions too.

Needled24Seven said:
why would they kill her though. i dunno you may be right either way were both pretty close with the god :saint:thing, but then again even if she were a nun and not dead as you say why couldnt she be with him.

Cause obviously nuns can't have husbands nor have sex or any of that.
They killed her cause they're an extravaganza of christian hillybillies. Serenity Painted Death describes it very clearly,"Melinda reflected in shafts,Red line round her neck".

I see it as this - two lovers - male gets kicked out by town - female can't bare being with another man joins a covenant (as many women did in those days for similar and various reasons)-male returns to his true love to speed her away to a safe happy place - lovers caught - female killed - male captured and executed.

I think you guys have the right ideas. Although Harlot of god doesn't necessarily mean Nun, it could just mean that she is angelic in her beauty.

Also, there is a sense that he has awoken to return to the village. "I awoke from the miasma." (The Moor) Miasma meaning rotten matter, he has arisen from the ground.

I think that in moonlapse vertigo he is biding his time outside the village, "kept warm by the light of the lantern."

There is a suggestion that he will return again, that he is immortal and this a cyclic repeating event (like groundhog day). "Hangman clutching for his tools, I will come for you." The hangman is afraid of him as maybe he knows that he will come again to claim his revenge?

In certain senses I think the story of still life is based upon the poem "Maud" by Alfred Lord Tennyson, in which the character is serperated from his love, maud, and is driven mad seeking her. He is then forced to kill her misunderstanding kin. He kills her brother in a duel. The imagery of the two pieces is also similar, it is all unsettling and difficult for the reader with red and black, blood and the earth.

Its worth checking the poemout if your interested, its very long but good.

Sam