Watershed Concept?

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/opeth/400903-watershed-some-sort-concept-album.html

here is the answer.. http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/news/article/0,,4700709,00.html ...

Watershed seems to have a consistent thread throughout. Would you say that's the case?

Well, I don't know. I think so. It's definitely a complete album. I can't really think of a single song that represents the whole album. I think they're all quite different from each other. It's not a concept record or anything. But, yeah, I would say it's an album that you enjoy as a whole, as opposed to playing certain "key" tracks or anything like that. They're all "key" tracks.

Yeah, megadittos.

The more I read in these forums on Watershed Theory, the deeper it seems to get and the more I want to give it more attention. It's pretty awesome for a band to put so much work into their music as was done for Watershed, but this album is like a "living" mystery. It wraps you up into it like some dark horror novel. A horror novel that Edgar Allan Poe wrote after he crawled out from his grave all rotten. Then he hid in your closet, but you didn't know it and he made creepy bodily sounds as he secretly wrote said horror novel and this happened when you were three years old. Yes.

Yeah, megadittos.

The more I read in these forums on Watershed Theory, the deeper it seems to get and the more I want to give it more attention. It's pretty awesome for a band to put so much work into their music as was done for Watershed, but this album is like a "living" mystery. It wraps you up into it like some dark horror novel. A horror novel that Edgar Allan Poe wrote after he crawled out from his grave all rotten. Then he hid in your closet, but you didn't know it and he made creepy bodily sounds as he secretly wrote said horror novel and this happened when you were three years old. Yes.

Of course. It all makes sense now.

Mike could have just been saying that it's not a concept album for the same reason he didn't want to give away the lyrics. If it is a concept, it's obviously quite personal to him. But it might just as well not be - a string of lyrics written in one night with (most likely) the same source of inspiration will invariably give the impression of being connected. And I'm sure they are connected, even if there isn't a unifying narrative or 'story'.