Is Watershed a concept album?

Honestly, I gotta say that one of the things I've liked about Opeth's lyrics is that right from the start, on Orchid, there are songs about love, and it's fucking metal without being retarded. In fact, love is a rather common theme throughout the albums (both concept albums, really, are about love), and it takes talent to write about love in a way that is believable and not totally lame. Never mind keeping it metal. I remember when, back in the day (maybe in reference to Metallica?), I read that when a metal band starts singing about love, the end is nigh. That's never been the case with Opeth. Thank God, too.

^agree, agree and completely disagree

there are probably 6156400849847335182 bands with better lyrics than opeth.
OH really???? Please let us know the many hoardes of bands out there that write as captivating and emotional lyrics as opeth? Yeah . . . . . say some other faggot ass DM band and you deserve a kick in the nut sack

why, oh why, is it that EVERY single time opeth is ready to release a new album, someone on the forum wants it to be a concept album???? why should it matter? what difference does it make? does the album suck if the lyrical themes don't have unity or cohesion, or that it's one song broken up into parts like meshuggah's catch 33?

DOES IT MATTER AT ALL?????????????????????

Regardless of how much meaning you think Opeth lyrics have (why the fuck do lyrics have to convey the meaning of life anyway?) Mikael creates some really great imagery with his lyrics:

"I am awaiting the sunrise
Gazing modestly through the coldest morning
Once it came you lied
Embracing us over autumn's proud treetops

I stand motionless
In a parade of falling rain
Your voice I cannot hear
As I am falling again"

These lyrics in particular have always evoked very strong images in my mind, especially as I listened to it a lot last winter, when in the morning the sun was really bright, but the ground was convered in frost and it was bitterly cold. For some reason those words always seemed really fitting.

And I think as well as creating good imagery, some of Mikael's lyrics are actually very poignant and meaningful, for example:

There is a dream I am living
There is a life I am dreaming of

Your memory's nothing but the scars on me

I'm not afraid of what you have just done,
but of what you've just become

I mean, I'm an English Language student who's been writing songs and poetry since I was 4 years old (not that that means I have any more right to comment on Mikael's lyrics than anyone else at all, I'm just saying), and I'm fucking impressed with so much of Mikael's work, so I don't understand how anyone could say his lyrics are bad, especially for a guy who's not even writing in his native tongue!

When has Opeth ever done a concept album? Ever? Apart from Still Life?

As far as I know, it's just a nice collection of songs (read: the demo ones Mike chose not to delete when considering the new album) according to his blog. I have to admit the lack of lyrics in the booklet makes me less interested in having the special edition... The special edition is basically going to be the regular CD with bonus tracks that mess up the flow of the original CD and a skimpy booklet... :lol:

lol who gives a shit about lyrics in death metal, i don't know hardly any of the lyrics to opeth's songs period. ffs i still hear the deadly badgers line as fucking deadly badgers EOS
You are so dumb. Lyrics are sometimes what make death metal bands so great.

Opeth's made three concept albums I believe. Ghost Reveries, MAYH and Still Life.

Yeah, I'd consider GR a concept album. I know that Mikael said it wasn't because Isolation Years doesn't fit with the concept, but that's just one, really short song. The rest of the album definitely has recurring themes and some sort of narrative going on.

I thought he said somewhere on the Ghost Reveries DVD that it was a concept record...can't really remember though, haven't seen it in a while. I'll go back and check it sometime soon, but for some reason I recall him saying that.

^It was planned to be a concept album, but Mikael wanted Isolation Years, which wasn't relevant to the concept, on the album, so the concept idea was scrapped, or something like that.

They probably could have stuck to the concept and been just fine. I remember Iced Earth did that with Horror Show when they stuck "Ghost of Freedom" into the middle of the album.

I still thought the concept of the album was the various stages of posession by a ghost/devil/monster...I guess I need to re-read the lyrics. Ghost Reveries is one of the Opeth albums I listen to the least.